Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do gamepads work on PC for games that are PC-only?

It all depends on the game in question and how the port was handled. Wether the game is a PC exclusive is irrevant. One should not assume that game will not be compatible with a gamepad because it's a PC exclusive, nor should one assume that when a game is multiplatform that a gamepad will work. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, for example, is not comparable with a controller on PC. The only way to make it work is to use 3rd party software to map keyboard functions to the gamepad, like ReWSAD or AntMicro.

Such things these days are very rare, especially amongst mainstream games, so there is little reason to worry.

Edited by Shagger

Its not about is it better or worse as an absolute. It depends on the game and your very own preferrences. Dark Souls plays better with gamepads. Yet I finished the first and second with a keyboard only, no mouse. Works quite good and gave me a lil bit of nostalgia.

Microsoft does do for both, Xbox and PC you know. that doesn't mean it works for both platforms 😛 

It's all about the particular games that you want to play on PC. Whether it's a PC's only game, if it's the kind that controllers offer better play, you would stressing yourself trying to use keyboard and mouse.

Take for instance, playing Cuphead with controllers will give you a better control and make it easier to shoot, jump and carry out other attack skills simultaneously. 

Many games exclusively on PC I have played in the past were pad compatible. It just depends on the game you are playing and it's specifications. But I do believe majority of PC games can be played with a pad or controller.

I had a difficult time with adjusting to playing with keyboard and mouse when I started playing on PC. I had to combine game pads with it for a while before I got used to it. It gets difficult with some games and its control because of the pad but I was able to manage. 

On 6/16/2022 at 11:45 AM, Empire said:

Its not about is it better or worse as an absolute. It depends on the game and your very own preferrences. Dark Souls plays better with gamepads. Yet I finished the first and second with a keyboard only, no mouse. Works quite good and gave me a lil bit of nostalgia.

Microsoft does do for both, Xbox and PC you know. that doesn't mean it works for both platforms 😛 

Being that I'm very good with playing using PC's Keyboard and mouse, I did very well playing Dark Souls with it. I think how good you're with the controllers help out too.