Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that feature trans actors playing trans characters?

There's the aforementioned Ian Alexander, another I know of is August Aiden Black who played Tyler Ronan in Tel Me Why.

There's also Elliot Page who played Jodie in Beyond Two Souls (pre-transition) and there's a couple of trans characters in small roles in Horizon Zero Dawn and Forbidden West but I don't know if they are voiced by trans actors.

Edited by Crazycrab

Not many games feature a trans character let alone a real trans actor playing the part. Elliot Page is the only one I know of, but was Jody a trans in the game? And I didn't know Lev was played by a real trans character. Man, if developers thought it may be controversial before, it's sure as hell controversial now since people want to make enemies of the trans population. Even in TLOU2 Lev still struggled with it in the apocalypse. And people want to make it seem like anything to do with trans is bad for kids. So where does that leave video games? Books are getting banned and cartoons getting attacked. Video games are next if developers add trans characters in games. So we have to stand up for these freedoms. And to hell for people that don't like it. Granted, games shouldn't shove things in our face just to act like they bring a bit of diversity, making it seem half assed, forced, and offensive rather than bringing new acceptance. I've gone on a bit of rant and don't mean to take this to the ugly docks. But I'm pissed. I'm ashamed of people who hate others they don't relate to or understand. And they have it bad right now and deserve our sympathies. Nice topic though  @StaceyPowers

The two I would have mentioned have already been mentioned, them being Ian Alexander and August Aiden Black. Other than that, I can't immediately think of any more. Elliot Paige starred in Beyond Two Souls before his transition, so at the time he still identified as a woman (Although it's likely he was unhappy doing so as many transgender people are pre-transition.) and played a cisgender female character, so I don't think that really counts. I will say I don't feel transgender characters need to appear more or less in games, but it certainly needs to be handled like how TLOU 2 and Tell Me Why did buy actually casing trans' actors when they do.

6 minutes ago, Shagger said:

it certainly needs to be handled like how TLOU 2 and Tell Me Why did buy actually casing trans' actors when they do.

On that note I have to disagree, actors (especially voice actors) play characters of different genders and/or sexualities all the time.  it's not an issue when a straight actor played a gay character so I why this should be any different.  The craft is literally all about pretending to be someone your not. I'm all for representation but that doesn't mean creators should feel pressured cast to cast roles in this way.

I’m surprised no one mentioned Damien Bloodmarch from Dream Daddy, a confirmed transman, although it’s not mentioned in game it was confirmed by a creator. I thought it was pretty cool. I do not heard or see about that as long as I just play the games. ENd of the day I think it's wrong but that's the life we live in nowdays

16 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

On that note I have to disagree, actors (especially voice actors) play characters of different genders and/or sexualities all the time.  it's not an issue when a straight actor played a gay character so I why this should be any different.  The craft is literally all about pretending to be someone your not. I'm all for representation but that doesn't mean creators should feel pressured cast to cast roles in this way.

I don't think that's the issue so much as that certain demographics of actors may have been deliberately overlooked for parts in the past in favour of casting actors who may have been more acceptable to the normative culture. I think it's more about just not doing that anymore. 

Plus, I do think LGBTQAI+ actors sometimes may like taking parts that help them share their stories with the world and reach out to others in the community who may be looking for inspiration or visibility.

I certainly don't complain about the talented Jennifer Hale being cast as Krem in DAI--so far as I know, a cis woman playing a trans man. But I was thrilled to see Ian Alexander cast as Lev in TLOU II.

Edited by StaceyPowers

16 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I have to agree - there are thousands of voice actors who have voiced as the opposite sex in numerous games and other media so I don't know why it should be a big issue. My rule of thumb is that if someone's good enough to play the role, give it to them - end of.

There aren't a lot of games that features trans characters or maybe I haven't played many games that have it.

But the ones I could remember is from The last of us part 2 , and i think there were trans characters in borderlands 3.