Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

The right way to play the latest Assassin's Creed games with Discovery Tour supplemental history

The last three Assassin's Creed games: Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla each have a separate Discovery Tour gameplay option. The Discovery Tour is fact based history that helps guide you to learn about culture, religion, people, and places. On the main title screen instead of playing the main game, click on DT to learn more. What it is, is the same entire map but with icons you can fast travel to and have a guided tour explain history of that location. There is no fighting or anything, but you can still climb on everything and explore using all sorts of different characters you can play which unlocks.

In the main game, when you arrive at a new location, check the Discovery Tour to see if there is some history you can learn about first before progressing more in the game. That way you can play region by region or city by city and learn what you can. For example, I've started a new game for AC Origins. I've come to the city of Alexandria and did a few quests and explored a bit. Then I exited the main game and checked the DT which had around 10 or so tours for the city of Alexandria learning about the pharos, battles, Gods, art, education and philosophy, etc. which is spread around the city. Then when I've completed those, I went back to the main game and traveled to another region where I checked again Discovery Tours there and found history on fauna, animals, agriculture, beer making, etc. And now I'm ready to move on to the pyramids where there are tons of history tours there. 

Playing this way has enriched my gameplay. I've learned a great deal and it's just amazing. Many people who play those games really don't appreciate the historical aspect of it. So that's why I've made this topic as the best way to play these games. This literally can be taught in schools if there was even more focus on history. Cause like I said, the tour allows you to traverse the same map as in regular gameplay and you can fly your eagle around and soak it all up and go into forts and absolutely everywhere w/o worrying about getting attacked. 

4 minutes ago, Shagger said:

First off, great topic.

I'll check out the videos later as I'm kin of in the middle o something, but this a cool feature within these games that I didn't really know about.

No doubt when you get the chance it's worth it to keep this in mind if you ever start a new AC game.

I remember Valhalla DT had a different format. I didn't get far into it, but the DT actually had a separate story while you play the tour mode. No fighting or anything, but there was actually a story. 

There is always a no right way or wrong way. It doesn’t really matter. I only play the time periods I like. I started with AC3 and loved it. Then played Black Flag and loved that one even more. I say play it as you want...?

9 minutes ago, Empire said:

There is always a no right way or wrong way. It doesn’t really matter. I only play the time periods I like. I started with AC3 and loved it. Then played Black Flag and loved that one even more. I say play it as you want...?

AC3 and Black Flag or any other AC game before Origins is not even what this topic is about. The historical Discovery Tour is only available in Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla. And if you want the full experience playing those games then as mentioned, the Discovery Tour helps give those games an educational experience while playing. 

41 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I'll be honest, I normally skip the Discovery tour but I I'll definitely give it a go the next time I play any of the Assassin's Creed games.

I think every player skips it too. I even skipped it mostly too after already putting so much time in those games. I went through a lot of the tours in Odyssey, but not in this format as I described. I’m playing the Atlantis DLC and after I will start a new quick play through simultaneously doing the Discovery Tour to fully grasp everything. I stopped midway in Origins and just started a new play though the right way and I’m so overjoyed with everything!!! It’s a whole different experience as I have knowledge now that pieces thing together that I missed out on the first time. And the level of immersion is off the charts like I’ve never experienced till now. I’m so intrigued by Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece. And Origins is very unique on how it brings together the history of Greece and Egypt and how the cultures have integrated as one. There is even a God Serapis that unites the two civilizations. And many Pharos were Greek! So this level of knowledge just blows my mind away which for the most part I missed on my first attempt at playing the game. 

I think origins was the only Assassin's Creed game I fully digested, I didn't pay close attention to Discovery tour but when I did explore that of origin I discovered what I have been missing all along.

The developers really did a good job digging deep Into the history of Egypt and every single detail was brought to life giving a documentary like feel but this time someone doesn't narrate it you discover and see everything unravel for yourself.

I am planning on revisiting Valhalla soon and think this time I would 100% complete every single detail of the Game.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:14 PM, killamch89 said:

I'll be honest, I normally skip the Discovery tour but I I'll definitely give it a go the next time I play any of the Assassin's Creed games.

I couldn't stop laughing reading this because it's a proof that I'm not the only one guilty of doing that always. At least, I have a partner in crime now 😂

But after getting more insight on the relevance of those tours, it looks like I'm not going to skip it the next time. Let's see how everything goes first till then. 

Good topic; not trolling or trying to derail the topic, but I'm a huge Assassins Creed buff that's reviewed virtually every game minus the handhelds (which I will review them as well) and Valhalla; the latter game of which I have but will play later. I find the fictional history of the Assassins Creed games to probably be closer to reality than the tours, which I tried to play and just got bored. They are ok.