Jump to content
Register Now
Yaramaki

RTS games for beginners? Preferably available on consoles

Recommended Posts

It's been a while for me too when it comes to playing RTS games, the last I played was 'Company Of Heroes II. I'll be fancying any recommendations from our noble members here, xD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

@Clasher and @Heatman

 

This is starting to look like the start of you two using the thread for a conversation between just yourselves. There's PM's to talk to each other about these games if you so wish. On this thread, stick to the topic.

@Shagger if you checked the thread well you will know that it's about Real time strategy games (RTS) for beginners and Age of empire is a RTS game which is also good for beginners and if   @Heatman  hasnt played it before , what is wrong if I recommend the game to him, isn't the thread about RTS games and I just gave him my recommendation.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Clasher said:

@Shagger if you checked the thread well you will know that it's about Real time strategy games (RTS) for beginners and Age of empire is a RTS game which is also good for beginners and if   @Heatman  hasnt played it before , what is wrong if I recommend the game to him, isn't the thread about RTS games and I just gave him my recommendation.

 

 

The thread is about somebody that isn't you or @Heatman seeking recommendations for (preferably console) RTS games, it's not for you two to go back and forward and discuss Age of Empires. Letting this go from you two will inevitably lead to thread derailed and end up only belonging to you two's little chat alienating anyone looking to talk about the threads original subject manner. I've been here long long enough to know what @Heatman in particular is like. He can't help but get himself caught up in these things then before we know it, were 5 pages on and it's the same handful of people dancing around the same points over and over.

 

So no, you were not on topic, this was a chat between yourselves. I've seen too many threads on VGR ruined by people doing this. I know you aware of the issues discussed in this thread, well this is how they start. With people saying something then somebody making a quoted response then it all just dissolves into a text chain between the same two or three people, and we have had enough of it on VGR.

 

And before you accuse me of being overbearing, let me tell you this was not my action alone. This was in fact in was in response to another member who saw what was starting happen and reported it. So when I say we have had enough of it on VGR, I really do mean literally WE have had enough of it on VGR. Not me, we.

 

So if you don't mind, when I issue you simple instruction like this in future, please just do as your told.

Edited by Shagger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Shagger said:

 

The thread is about somebody that isn't you or @Heatman seeking recommendations for (preferably console) RTS games, it's not for you two to go back and forward and discuss Age of Empires. Letting this go from you two will inevitably lead to thread derailed and end up only belonging to you two's little chat alienating anyone looking to talk about the threads original subject manner. I've been here long long enough to know what @Heatman in particular is like. He can't help but get himself caught up in these things then before we know it, were 5 pages on and it's the same handful of people dancing around the same points over and over.

 

So no, you were not on topic, this was a chat between yourselves. I've seen too many threads on VGR ruined by people doing this. I know you aware of the issues discussed in this thread, well this is how they start. With people saying something then somebody making a quoted response then it all just dissolves into a text chain between the same two or three people, and we have had enough of it on VGR.

 

And before you accuse me of being overbearing, let me tell you this was not my action alone. This was in fact in was in response to another member who saw what was starting happen and reported it. So when I say we have had enough of it on VGR, I really do mean literally WE have had enough of it on VGR. Not me, we.

 

So if you don't mind, when I issue you simple instruction like this in future, please just do as your told.

Alright, noted

Can we atleast go back to the topic now..thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never understood why microsoft hasen't bothered yet to port age of empires over to xbox, it would be a good to have that on there. I know age of empires had ps2 ports that were okay and correct me if i'm wrong had a ds port aswell.

Anyway i played of few hours of civilization vi the other day and i'm having a good time with it, it's not overly complex to understand and i can see getting addicted to it.  I'll probably start picking up a couple more strategy/management games in the future there are quite a few on consoles and i'm sure i can get some on the cheap.

Frostpunk has peaked me curiosity has anybody played this doesen't matter wheter it's on pc or console?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2022 at 5:23 AM, Withywarlock said:

There's not a whole many Real Time Strategy (RTS) games on console to begin with, but here's a quick list:

  • Halo Wars (Xbox/PC exclusive): made with controllers in mind, Halo Wars takes place prior to the mainline games when the Spartan initiative was still around. There's more to it than its famous Warthog Rush strategy, with units that are quite customisable and have no small amount of uses in the great open maps.
  • Starcraft II: One of the last big pushes for RTS on console, Starcraft 2 is as vanilla as they get: a story easy enough to follow, loveable characters and instantly recognisable and memorable troops and mechanics.
  • Warhammer: Battle March: The precursor to Total War: Warhammer, a reverse-engineered 'tactical RTS' that focusses on more intimate squad play in small linear maps and progression. Keep your units and upgrade them between battles to advance through the story of the Empire, Warriors of Chaos and the Greenskins (with some Skaven and Dark Elves thrown in).

I can't speak to Command & Conquer, I've never played the games myself but I've heard nothing but good things about them. And if you're playing on PS2, Goblin Commander was an alright game but I don't remember much else about it.

Command & Conquer is a classic and probably one of the most under appreciated RTS series ever made and I loved playing it as a teen. I didn't even know about Halo Wars till you just brought it up - for someone who has played most if not all of the Halo games barring the Halo Infinite, I can't believe another one has eluded me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

Frostpunk has peaked me curiosity has anybody played this doesen't matter wheter it's on pc or console?

Frostpunk's good once you get to grips with it. It takes some practice, maintaining people's happiness with the energy required to keep the different buildings running. Like a lot of city management games it's easy to lose control; one moment you think it's safe to expand and all of a sudden it becomes difficult to provide the energy required to keep your people from migrating or dying of cold.

23 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I didn't even know about Halo Wars till you just brought it up - for someone who has played most if not all of the Halo games barring the Halo Infinite, I can't believe another one has eluded me.

I recommend it. It's one of the few RTS that didn't have much of a competitive scene, and its one meta (Warthog Rush) got tiring so quickly that the playerbase dropped it. As for its sequel, I couldn't speak to that but I hear it's everything the first game does but better.

I didn't realise C&C was underappreciated, I've always heard it's the RTS to play. Still, you appear to be more knowledgeable about it than me. RTS isn't really my thing I'm afraid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Withywarlock said:

I recommend it. It's one of the few RTS that didn't have much of a competitive scene, and its one meta (Warthog Rush) got tiring so quickly that the playerbase dropped it. As for its sequel, I couldn't speak to that but I hear it's everything the first game does but better.

I didn't realise C&C was underappreciated, I've always heard it's the RTS to play. Still, you appear to be more knowledgeable about it than me. RTS isn't really my thing I'm afraid.

Back in the days, it was extremely popular but as the years went by, its popularity amongst a lot of gamers has diminished greatly. Nowadays, it's either Starcraft or Warhammer you hear people talk about and I notice this trend even amongst older RTS players. I'm not the biggest RTS fan out there but I used to play Command & Conquer generals back in the day and a lot of the systems from that series has been incorporated into more modern RTS games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...