Register Now
Yaramaki

Have you ever been burned out on video games?

Anybody else had this problem where even if you have the time to sit down and play games for a couple of hours you just don't feel like doing? I'm going trough such a phase right now i think, played watch dogs 2 and legion back to back probably shoulden't have done that, i started playing trough the story of the "next gen" version of gta 5  and  play a mission or two i just shut the game off and do something else, while it's still one of the best games ever made i'm not really feeling it right now. I don't know what the problem is with this kind of weather i much rather go out hiking whenever i possible can which is my other main hobby. I got burned out on collecting video games a few times where i take a break from buying anything for a few months but with gaming i never really had this problem.

I'm currently installing civilization vi as i haven't played an rts in ages, in hopes it gets me stoked again on gaming.

I don’t think I’ve ever actually been burnt out. There are times where I just don’t feel like it for a couple of days.

I feel it’s harder to get burnt out when you don’t spend a large amount of time doing it every day.

I have had those moments where I really have nothing better and actually want to play something, but for some reason I just can't bring myself to do so. I useually just stick on the TV, Netflix or Amazon video when that happens and get back to gaming when I can be bothered.

It's something that I have experienced on several occasions especially when I go on with a particular game awfully too long.

When the burnout sets in, I normally take a long break from that particular game till I get the urge to go back to it again. 

All the time, it's why I frequently critique games for being too long. Especially in today's market, too many games go for too long without helping realise the developers' artistic vision, be it publisher pressure to monetise and market it, or the lack of an editor/compromise with an editor who will make the necessary calls to trim it down to its best parts. That's usually single-player games though. Multiplayer games like World of Warcraft have me take huge breaks because I have the time to do the content, but it's 'gated', meaning the game will not let me progress even though I'm available to do it. For all this "always online" business, games sure want me to be online less and less.

I wish I could tell you when gameplay took a backseat for retention, but I fear that goes back further than I'd like it to (see arcade machines).

Edited by Withywarlock

14 hours ago, Rainbow Road said:

Yep. I have been there a few times and I just don't play them for a little bit. Then I get that itch again and start playing.

Another way which I usually deal with such burnout for the game would be putting myself into watching others play the game but not get involved. When I have watched them play and get a few tips on how they play, my interest in the game would be ignited again. 

It happened to me with GTA 5 on PC. I used to play GTA online every day until I got so burnt our from it that I stopped playing games for like a month. That's why I usually pace myself when playing certain games that I like so that I don't suffer any kind of burnout.

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

It happened to me with GTA 5 on PC. I used to play GTA online every day until I got so burnt our from it that I stopped playing games for like a month. That's why I usually pace myself when playing certain games that I like so that I don't suffer any kind of burnout.

The biggest challenge is being able to beat the urge to keep coming back to the game when you're supposed to be giving another game a chance that there's going to be an equilibrium with your gaming selection. 

37 minutes ago, Heatman said:

The biggest challenge is being able to beat the urge to keep coming back to the game when you're supposed to be giving another game a chance that there's going to be an equilibrium with your gaming selection. 

Yeah - I tend to force myself to switch it up so that I can keep the experiences fresh when it comes to the games I love to play.

On 6/22/2022 at 7:25 PM, The Blackangel said:

I've hit burnout many times. Like all of you, I love gaming. But there have been times where the mere thought of playing a video game of any kind, in any format, was enough to make me want to puke. For times like that, the only thing you can really do, is take a break and wait it out.

Yep  and that's why I wouldn't make gaming anything other than a hobby. If I turned it into a job, I might very well lose my love for gaming after a while.