Register Now
StaceyPowers

I’ve learned to appreciate the loudness of my gaming laptop fan

17 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

At first, I could not stand the loudness of my gaming laptop fan. But now I realize every time it “randomly” gets loud when I am not gaming, it is because stuff is updating. Now I actually appreciate knowing this, so I won’t overtax my system when updates are hogging resources.

1588787701_giphy(1).gif.3b312f717bf2af6d1a36c0be6e3fa5bc.gif

A little weird, but I can't say I'm not happy for you. However, I don't feel like I would be doing this post right if I didn't point out that higher fan speeds, and thus more fan noise, are triggered by the component or components that fan is charged with cooling running too hot, not by whatever process or task the computer is doing. My laptop, for example, only does this when I'm playing a game that really pokes it with a stick. So to be honest, granted software updates do put a good load on the CPU, but it shouldn't be so much that a sudden and extreme increase in fan speed should be happening every time, especially with modern multi-core CPU's.

Edited by Shagger

Normal to hear them becoming more loud and heat coming out from the system, more you open and the more things that you do, like gaming. Yet why post about it. Normal. Gaming laptops are just loud, you can make it slightly less annoying by using one of those cooling pads with a couple of fans in it but it won't really change the fact that your laptop is going to be somewhat noisy.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:49 AM, Empire said:

Normal to hear them becoming more loud and heat coming out from the system, more you open and the more things that you do, like gaming. Yet why post about it. Normal. Gaming laptops are just loud, you can make it slightly less annoying by using one of those cooling pads with a couple of fans in it but it won't really change the fact that your laptop is going to be somewhat noisy.

Other than raising the laptop giving the intake on the bottom more room to breathe (assuming that the intakes are we even on the bottom on the first place) those pads don't really do anything.  Sometimes they can even make the thermal throttling worse.

It depends on how the cooling system in your laptop works.  Most modern laptops use "blower" type cooling similar to the older Nvidia factory coolers, and these are ones that don't work very well.  Blower cooling relies on the pressure of the air coming out to be higher than the air going in to maintain air flow.  Cooling pads actually fuck this up by increasing the pressure of the air going in.  That's why the guy in video (among many others) so his cooling get significantly worse with the introduction of a cooling pad.

If your laptop's cooling is a open system or the pad pulls air out of the exhaust rather than pushes into the intake then yeah, you might see some positive results but for most, their pretty much worthless.

Edited by Crazycrab

15 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Other than raising the laptop giving the intake on the bottom more room to breathe (assuming that the intakes are we even on the bottom on the first place) those pads don't really do anything.  Sometimes they can even make the thermal throttling worse.

It depends on how the cooling system in your laptop works.  Most modern laptops use "blower" type cooling similar to the older Nvidia factory coolers, and these are ones that don't work very well.  Blower cooling relies on the pressure of the air coming out to be higher than the air going in to maintain air flow.  Cooling pads actually fuck this up by increasing the pressure of the air going in.  That's why the guy in video (among many others) so his cooling get significantly worse with the introduction of a cooling pad.

If your laptop's cooling is a open system or the pad pulls air out of the exhaust rather than pushes into the intake l then yeah, you might see some positive results but for most, their pretty much worthless.

I use a cooling pad for my laptop and whilst I never felt it made much of a difference in terms of cooling performance for the laptop itself, it does make a gaming laptop running hot much more comfortable to have on your lap, and that's the real benefit.

Don't most gaming laptops get loud? I remember watching someone on YouTube, maybe Linus Tech Tips or Dawid, I don't remember who it was, but I remember someone go on about how gaming laptops just get loud. Maybe this was with earlier gaming laptops and new ones these days are a lot more quieter. But I also imaging even newer gaming laptops need a lot of cooling to keep it safe. 

But, I never owned a gaming laptop, and honestly not sure I'd want one. I think a gaming desktop is more my style. 

Edited by Kane99

I remember how loud the fan of my first laptop with a window 7 operating system and just playing Zuma and it would get so damn hot I have to reboot or shutdown for a few seconds.

I think with more tasks on the cpu the fans tends to do some extra work of cooling but I don't think that should happen every single time unless maybe your gaming laptop needs to be unclogged of files or serviced.

22 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

If your laptop's cooling is a open system or the pad pulls air out of the exhaust rather than pushes into the intake then yeah, you might see some positive results but for most, their pretty much worthless.

Replacing the thermal paste has proved to be a better (and less expensive option) for all laptops that I've owned which had overheating issues. Depending on the actual cooler design, it helped reduce temps from 10°C to 30°C !

Cooling pads are not helping if the thermal paste which transfer heat from the CPU to the cooler is dead. It can help when the paste is not completely dead tho, but repasting is so much more effective that I don't bother with cooling pads at all.

On 6/22/2022 at 5:55 PM, killamch89 said:

The fan noise doesn't bother me at all - it's when I don't really hear them when I'm doing some intensive task on my gaming laptop that I become very concerned.

As long as it doesn't get to the point where it keeps happening and then my laptop starts to overheat, it's when I would really get worried about it and do just about anything to have it fix. This is because with the laptop overheating, it's not safe it's generally functionality. 

On 8/11/2022 at 5:00 PM, Clasher said:

I remember how loud the fan of my first laptop with a window 7 operating system and just playing Zuma and it would get so damn hot I have to reboot or shutdown for a few seconds.

I think with more tasks on the cpu the fans tends to do some extra work of cooling but I don't think that should happen every single time unless maybe your gaming laptop needs to be unclogged of files or serviced.

That's true if your computer is operating functions that is above it's programmed function it tends to over heat giving much tasks to the fan to cool it down.

I myself always used to worry when my laptop or even my PC would kick off with the fan going crazy when I was doing anything heavy. I used to worry that my PC was getting ready to just give up on me because of how hard the fan was pushing itself, after a while I got used to it and realized it was doing what it was supposed to which was help keep my PC cool whilst I was doing things such as gaming. It's nice to have something there even if it's just the fan kicking up to know that your PC is doing something so that you are aware to not do too much and possibly cause it to crash out. 

On 11/23/2022 at 1:53 AM, Shortie said:

I myself always used to worry when my laptop or even my PC would kick off with the fan going crazy when I was doing anything heavy. I used to worry that my PC was getting ready to just give up on me because of how hard the fan was pushing itself, after a while I got used to it and realized it was doing what it was supposed to which was help keep my PC cool whilst I was doing things such as gaming. It's nice to have something there even if it's just the fan kicking up to know that your PC is doing something so that you are aware to not do too much and possibly cause it to crash out. 

This is hilarious, I know how that can be especially when you are aware that something is definitely wrong with your pc that needs to checked.

It gets to a point when you just completely accept what your pc is becoming and you don't bother about it anymore.