Register Now
NightmareFarm

Time sink games?

What games tend to really suck you into it and before you know it hours have passed?

I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei V and it feels a lot like this with the way the world is designed. There's so many collectibles and quests scattered everywhere, probably the most i've seen in a video game. There are also "Amalgram" collectibles which are very valuable. You have to do a lot of grinding and a lot of decision making(like which moves to give to a demon or which fusion to work towards) so even if you only clear through one area it can take hours. 

In general lots of JRPGs suck you into it and keeps you going for several hours on end, sometimes almost like 10 hours. 

Edited by NightmareFarm

The first game I felt time fly by with was Dragon Age: Origins. Seven hours had passed and it'd only felt like three, and I only knew that because my dad got home from work and I was shocked he'd got back so soon.

However lately I've found a lot of management games eat up my time. Stellaris in particular is great to have on in the background while I talk to my girlfriend over Facebook, and Civilisation is notorious for its "one more turn" addictiveness. It's those games where there's always one more button to press, one more widget to spin, and one more lever to pull that make time fly.

I have to agree with you about JRPGs; when I'm into them, I'm really into them - just one more story beat, just one more random encounter, just one more item... it's amazing how simple and effective their pull can be.

Has happen to old and new games, Eco is a good server based game, oncemyou start and get into the game you tend to can't stop Xd and it's one of those games that you can put hours into it then leave it to die and then back into it again. 

This happened with me so fast when I started playing GTA 5. During my first play, I didn't know when 4 hours flew by as I was playing. The same also happened when I played Ghost of Tsushima. The more I progressed in the game, the more I really wanted more. 

Skyrim, RDR 1 & 2, GTA series and many other sandbox style games. Assassins Creed series come to mind as well, but I've since taken a break from that series. I'm actually deep into RDR2 right now, taking it as slow as possible. Experiencing the game even more. I recently found out that you could spin your guns, but I need to find the right button combinations to do it. 

I would also add that I had the same thing with playing Elden Ring as well. I was playing Horizon Forbidden West but the moment I purchased Elden Ring, I dropped playing Horizon Forbidden West and got so hooked up with playing Elden Ring for 1 month straight without playing much of other games. 

On 6/22/2022 at 12:55 AM, NightmareFarm said:

What games tend to really suck you into it and before you know it hours have passed?

I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei V and it feels a lot like this with the way the world is designed. There's so many collectibles and quests scattered everywhere, probably the most i've seen in a video game. There are also "Amalgram" collectibles which are very valuable. You have to do a lot of grinding and a lot of decision making(like which moves to give to a demon or which fusion to work towards) so even if you only clear through one area it can take hours. 

In general lots of JRPGs suck you into it and keeps you going for several hours on end, sometimes almost like 10 hours. 

Fortnite and Animal Crossing New Horizons.

16 minutes ago, runswithspatulas said:

Fortnite and Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Playing Fortnite in 2019 was exactly like that for me. It was the biggest year that I invested so much time and money into the game. I believe to have moved on from the game a bit and not like I used to play it some years back. I haven't played it in a while now. 

On 7/15/2022 at 3:56 AM, Heatman said:

Playing Fortnite in 2019 was exactly like that for me. It was the biggest year that I invested so much time and money into the game. I believe to have moved on from the game a bit and not like I used to play it some years back. I haven't played it in a while now. 

i enjoy it. keeps me busy. plus they're always changing things which keeps it interesting. they added no builds now which is great for those of us who just wanna kill people. lol!

20 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

i enjoy it. keeps me busy. plus they're always changing things which keeps it interesting. they added no builds now which is great for those of us who just wanna kill people. lol!

It was very enjoyable when I played it heavily in 2019 and it's even still fun right now. I don't play it more often then I used to. A lot of my guys are still invested in the game heavily, it's an addictive game. 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

It was very enjoyable when I played it heavily in 2019 and it's even still fun right now. I don't play it more often then I used to. A lot of my guys are still invested in the game heavily, it's an addictive game. 

yup. i decided to leave the game and shut my acct. down and well...it got pretty lonely. 🤣

Motorcycle GP 21, GT 7, are the two games that sucks my time more. When I checked the average time I spent on games via the 'game tab control panel', those two were at the top. Their is no way I can stay off from playing them, I'm not addicted with the games but I am deeply into them. Like, I don't skip more than 48 hours away from them. I can only stop playing them when their sequels becomes available. 

I would also say GTA IV and v. Both games were a time sink, at least for me. I played GTA IV probably more than GTA v. Both games have a ton you can do, especially GTA v. I just wish GTA v got a single player dlc like GTA IV did. 😞