Register Now
DC

Would you rather own or rent your residence?

On the surface it seems like a straightforward question with a straightforward answer. You'd rather own a personal residence and pay mortgage to build equity rather than rent but consider the maintenance/upkeep of owning your own home, insurance premiums, HOA fees, and having to pay property taxes everywhere. Where do you stand?

Over here it is more cheaper to own your apartment than paying rent's or mortgage and the inflation hasn't made it any better. Currently I stay in a rented apartment that because I had to move out of my own personal house due to work and proximity to my work place and school as well. But any day I still prefer to own my own home than paying rent.

Although it's much cheaper to rent, I plan to own my own house once I can decide on which country I plan to permanently settle. Long term renting is going to be far more expensive and unstable and plus your landlord can choose to evict you for almost any reason or decide to stop renting the place you're living in and I don't want to be stuck in a situation like that when I'm much older.

If you live in a rented apartment here, you will keep working your ass off just end up using your earnings to pay for rent. It's why having your own house would definitely be the best thing you can do for yourself. Landlords here keep increasing their house every 2 years without any consideration. 

I recently departed my rented apartment after house expiration. I am back to my dad's home, where I'm given a comfort, I don't pay for rent. But that doesn't make me feel comfortable, I want to build my own house living on my parents building. I'm just fade up with rented apartments. 

On 7/24/2022 at 6:48 PM, Justin11 said:

I recently departed my rented apartment after house expiration. I am back to my dad's home, where I'm given a comfort, I don't pay for rent. But that doesn't make me feel comfortable, I want to build my own house living on my parents building. I'm just fade up with rented apartments. 

Renting apartments can be a pain if you have terrible neighbors and it's not a bad idea to move back in with your parents and save on some of the expenses.

My partner and I are looking to buy our own home, and she's handy and financially sensible enough to handle any of that sort of work that needs doing. My pay packet's going straight to her at the end of the month seeing as I'd just spend it all on cake.

The house I currently live in is owned by our local council (i.e "council housing"), so we pay rent and have essential works done on it for us per their contractual obligation. It's hit and miss, and you can't really do much about the neighbours, but it's cheap enough. I suppose it's only as good as the area you live in really.

3 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

My partner and I are looking to buy our own home, and she's handy and financially sensible enough to handle any of that sort of work that needs doing. My pay packet's going straight to her at the end of the month seeing as I'd just spend it all on cake.

The house I currently live in is owned by our local council (i.e "council housing"), so we pay rent and have essential works done on it for us per their contractual obligation. It's hit and miss, and you can't really do much about the neighbours, but it's cheap enough. I suppose it's only as good as the area you live in really.

I lived in those sort of council housing apartments in the past, In my case those apartments were given to government workers and rent is deducted monthly from your pay check and it's so unnoticeable that most workers don't ever know it's there.

The only downside is that these sort of building aren't maintained so most part of it are in ruins and only a few people even bother about taking care of the environment.

We had to move out of it after a couple of years to a much friendlier, neat and secure environment.

12 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Yeah, neighbors are the only thing you can't really change at all. For the most part, I've always been blessed with pretty cool neighbors who'll even watch my place and call me if they see something suspicious even though I've never really asked them to or need them to since I have a security system.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:35 PM, killamch89 said:

Yeah, neighbors are the only thing you can't really change at all. For the most part, I've always been blessed with pretty cool neighbors who'll even watch my place and call me if they see something suspicious even though I've never really asked them to or need them to since I have a security system.

If your neighbors where you live at aren't friendly, it's definitely not safe to live there because anything can happen at any time and you can't rely on your neighbours to come to your aid. It's like living in a lion's den which is very risky. If any of them is an extremist, you can't guarantee your life there. 

On 7/30/2022 at 5:55 AM, Heatman said:

If your neighbors where you live at aren't friendly, it's definitely not safe to live there because anything can happen at any time and you can't rely on your neighbours to come to your aid. It's like living in a lion's den which is very risky. If any of them is an extremist, you can't guarantee your life there. 

The problem is, you won't know that if you're moving into an apartment building or house. Since Covid, a lot more people don't tend to come out of their places frequently and unless you plan to go around knocking on everyone's door to introduce yourself, you won't get to interact with them a lot so you won't know your neighbors that well.