Register Now
StaceyPowers

How do you feel about paying full price for new versions of games you already bought?

The Last of Us: Part 1 remake is retailing at $70, with no discount for owners of previous versions of the game.

How do you feel about this sort of thing? Even a nominal discount in situations like this would be nice, I think, to say thank-you to fans who have already long supported games.

The discount (or freebie) would be nice for previous owners (which can be proven more easily with digital ownership than physical), and it's not like the companies doing these things can't afford to do it. I've no strong opinions on the subject really: it's only business.

The good thing about these sorts of scheme is that if I want to play the original there's next to nothing stopping me, and the original must've been good enough for it to get a re-release in some fashion. If it was a bad game it wouldn't stand a snowflake's chance in Hell at being remastered. Even all the harumphing about The Elder Scrolls games is nothing compared to the sales figures before mods entered the equation. My point is that I can get the original used or heavily discounted elsewhere; Sony will make more from a single - and more expensive - copy of the remaster than they'll lose from a used copy.

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

The Last of Us: Part 1 remake is retailing at $70, with no discount for owners of previous versions of the game.

How do you feel about this sort of thing? Even a nominal discount in situations like this would be nice, I think, to say thank-you to fans who have already long supported games.

I wouldn't pay current gen full price for a remaster or remake of a previous gen game. I'll just wait until there's a sale or I can get it used. And if those ever become not an option, then I just won't get the remake.

There's only one game I play that was redone, and that's FF8. I play it on my Switch, and the new graphics are amazing. The detail and slickness is simply phenomenal. But that said, I wouldn't pay for a new version of RDR2, just because they include a feature that lets you return to New Austin without having to worry about bounty hunters and Pinkertons. It makes no sense. Now if they were to release a DLC code that got you tons more free stuff, and extra stranger missions, I would go in for that.

All in all though, there has to be one hell of a perk to get me to rebuy the same game I've been playing for years. Unless my disc gets trashed and no longer works, I'm staying where I'm at.

Also, considering that with only a small handful of exceptions, being a classic gamer pretty much means that I won't have to worry about it. I don't see SMB2 being remade any time in the future.

Nintendo does it all the time when they sucked the wii u dry of it's exclusives and nobody seemed to mind that and nintendo knows damn well they can get away with it because nintendo fans happily open their wallets and pay full price again.

I personally don't mind it aslong it's priced accordingly and it has all the dlc incluced on the disc but even then i'll probably hold off until it goes on sale. 

Edited by Yaramaki

It really depends on the price, for some I'm happy to pay (Chrono Cross was I think 20 eur), for others that blast up the price to 79 EUR I just see them as money grabs and wait for a summer/winter sale. Luckily my backlog is huge so I don't mind waiting a year or two to play FF7 Remake part 1, 2 and 3 in some type of a deluxe edition.

The price of the game is definitely too much. I'm not sure if I would be willing to pay that high amount for the game's remake. You're right about them putting into consideration for those who owned the game's first release. It's a very big ask for them to pay all over again. 

I don't really bother about that though, if I can't afford it I just forget about it.

I don't expect a discount of any sort just because I have a previous version, the new version comes with it's own qualities and deserves to be paid for and enjoyed.

1 hour ago, Clasher said:

I don't really bother about that though, if I can't afford it I just forget about it.

I don't expect a discount of any sort just because I have a previous version, the new version comes with it's own qualities and deserves to be paid for and enjoyed.

If I don't want to upgrade to the sequel, I can just override with the latest version and save the funds somewhat. If it will cost me money to update patch more than what I never budgeted then I wouldn't proceed. 

4 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

If I don't want to upgrade to the sequel, I can just override with the latest version and save the funds somewhat. If it will cost me money to update patch more than what I never budgeted then I wouldn't proceed. 

That's my point exactly, why bother about something if I am not okay with the price or not willing to spend my money on it.

If I crave it or want to play it I must be willing to spend my money on it, but if the price sounds too ridiculous I just forget about it instead.

2 minutes ago, Clasher said:

That's my point exactly, why bother about something if I am not okay with the price or not willing to spend my money on it.

If I crave it or want to play it I must be willing to spend my money on it, but if the price sounds too ridiculous I just forget about it instead.

That's just the way it should be, I hate it when I I am forcing myself over what I can't digest after executing it. I make budgets around video games, when I can't afford particular item digital or physical, I just forget about it.