Register Now
DC

A game that has aged poorly

I tried getting into playing 'Soldier Of Fortune', which was developed around the year '2000 by Activision. I played it first time on my PS2 as a kid around 2004, I'm actually looking for the game, but I'm unable at this time to find it. 

Psychonauts, it's one of the most creative, thoughtful, and funny games Ive ever played but it's certainly has its problems. For example, the game has some very bland and uninteresting combat, especially compared to the sequel. And the figment are poorly colored making them hard to see. And the progression system makes you grind which gets really tedious. Basically it had the early 2000s design which haven't aged well.

I think most RPGs with random battles are a chore to play these days. I was just broken by my last run of FF6 - I was trying to get out of a cave dungeon in the world of ruin and it felt like there was a 30+ second random battle every 5 seconds on the map. Looking back, random battles totally crush the mood/immersion of the dungeon that the music and setting create. Chrono Trigger had it figured out all those years ago, it's a shame it took most RPGs so long to catch up. A game like Octopath coming out still using random battles is a head-scratcher to me.

10 minutes ago, Empire said:

I think most RPGs with random battles are a chore to play these days. I was just broken by my last run of FF6 - I was trying to get out of a cave dungeon in the world of ruin and it felt like there was a 30+ second random battle every 5 seconds on the map. Looking back, random battles totally crush the mood/immersion of the dungeon that the music and setting create. Chrono Trigger had it figured out all those years ago, it's a shame it took most RPGs so long to catch up. A game like Octopath coming out still using random battles is a head-scratcher to me.

The random encounters were based off of DND dice rolls, also fans of the genre love random battles. Chrono Trigger sort of had it figured out, but several of the dungeons had enemies in locations where it was impossible not to get attacked. Which imo is more infuriating where no matter what, at that spot, you’ll get attacked.

Some of the other alternatives for awhile we’re also pretty obnoxious.

I'd say GoldenEye on N64.   Don't get me wrong I love and respect the hell out of this game, I played it religiously as a kid.  I was actually something of GoldenEye ace back on in the day.  It presented the first person shooter on a home console in a way that absolutely revolutionised the game for console based shooters.

However in this day and age where we have been spoiled with twin sticks it's borderline unplayable now.  The controls by modern standards are incredibly awkward.

@DC I'd like to say that I appreciate that your posting topics.  I know you've got a lot on your plate with running the website and dealing with advertiser's and such.  So it's nice that you are taking the time to discuss gaming shit with us filthy peasants!

Edited by Crazycrab

On 6/25/2022 at 11:45 PM, HowHammerYou said:

Metal Gear Solid 3. It badly needs a remaster/remake, the controls have not aged well at all.

There's no plans on ground about a remake of Metal Gear Solid 3. If the developers can work it, there's a good chance that a lot of gamers would be interested in it, I would be interested in it. 

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

I'd say GoldenEye on N64.   Don't get me wrong I love and respect the hell out of this game, I played it religiously as a kid.  I was actually something of GoldenEye ace back on in the day.  It presented the first person shooter on a home console in a way that absolutely revolutionised the game for console based shooters.

However in this day and age where we have been spoiled with twin sticks it's borderline unplayable now.  The controls by modern standards are incredibly awkward.

@DC I'd like to say that I appreciate that your posting topics.  I know you've got a lot on your plate with running the website and dealing with advertiser's and such.  So it's nice that you are taking the time to discuss gaming shit with us filthy peasants!

Couldn't agree more. Goldeneye is without doubt a beloved classic, but it's probably aged about as badly as any game I know with the single analogue stick control and enemy AI that's as dumb as a felled tree. You needed look as far forward as a modern day Battlefield of Call of Duty to see how far the FPS has come since then even Perfect Dark on the same console feels way further ahead. Still, nostalgia is what it is and it hasn't stopped this from happening. This is a game showcased at the PC Gaming Show this year. I mean, I loved Goldeneye as a kid, but come on, guys! You didn't have copy everything right up to it's outdated looks, the AI and give all the guns the same beyond basic reload animation like Goldeneye had. I will admit I like the idea of the function that I assume you use to create your own multiplayer maps, that is cool.

Most games on the N64, PS1, Dreamcast and so one will look bad by today's standards. Back then they were new and unique and we all were probably under the impression that these games looked impressive. Now days, looking at these games, actually hurts my eyes. Goldeneye for example is one that hurts my eyes each time I touch it. 

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Most games on the N64, PS1, Dreamcast and so one will look bad by today's standards. Back then they were new and unique and we all were probably under the impression that these games looked impressive. Now days, looking at these games, actually hurts my eyes. Goldeneye for example is one that hurts my eyes each time I touch it. 

Game's graphics have never been my yardstick for measuring up how good or bad any video game is, whether it's old arcade games or new ones.