Register Now
DC

Cheat codes for video games

12 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I didn't actually buy them - not intentionally anyways. I used to love certain gaming magazines and when I got them, they may or may not have had codes for games I owned at the time.

Did you ever get to use them? What was the feeling like for you back at the time? I couldn't turn down the opportunity to use the one's I got years ago as a teenager. 

What once were cheat codes are usually microtransactions now, and it sucks. These were fun things to play around with and game developers could really have fun with them as well. I remember in these hospital this was the noise you heard when you put in a cheat code.

I do remember, and below is the only one that's survived house moves, poor treatment and frequent consultation.

This is my 'Cheats Bible,' a battered, dog-eared tome from Games Master magazine that's been with me for donkey's years. Why I decided to graffiti Sonic, Knuckles & Tails' first initial on their heads like Doctor Neo Cortex, or give the Prince of Persia antennae I don't know. The pages have gone yellow with age and being kept in all manner of environments: plastic boxes, dark shelves, a floor littered with crumbs and goodness knows what else. And of course, who could forget the cheats lady on the blurb, back when publishers didn't rack up the bill for selling solutions to problems they'd created. "Call me 24/7," says the cheats chick, "I've got what you need." Doubtful, as the freephone number is still in use but the ones in enlarged fonts are not.

Now strategy guides on the other hand I used to frequently purchase, most no longer in my possession. I will however never part with my The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition one by Prima, however.

IMG_20220627_171548569.jpg

IMG_20220627_171542297.jpg

Edited by Withywarlock
Please forgive the sideways view; I can't get them to stand upright. I hope the images are clear all the same.

I remember getting some through the scholastic book fair back in the day. Sadly I don't think I still have any of them lying around. I also got rid of all of my gaming magazines, which usually had some cheat codes. 

I mostly got my cheats from the internet back then. I remember going to a friends and he'd print off cheats for me, good times. 

18 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Not at all, instead I learned from friends, as they shared those codes with me. And again, their was a site which I was introduced, most of the mobile game, console game cheats are stored on it. 

Kinda the same. My friend was the only person at the time who had the internet, so in order for me to get some cheats, I had to go over to his house, and ask if they could search for cheats. I got cheats for some PS1 games back in the day. I remember having to write them down sometimes, or they would be cool to print off a sheet. But I remember my friend saying I had to pay $1 to print lol. 

Every couple months I would get a new copy of Tips & Tricks. It had all the cheats for NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, and PS1. I don't think the magazine is around anymore. But I also had a couple different code books for the Game Genie. There's a lot of codes that aren't listed in just one book. To get them all for a single game, you need multiple books.

Nowadays, the only cheats I have ready are RDR2 cheats. Unless I'm playing something I've mastered, because then I'll use a Game Genie to make the game more challenging.

18 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I mostly got my cheats from the internet back then. I remember going to a friends and he'd print off cheats for me, good times. 

One of my friend's back then made a good business out of selling the cheat codes he got from internet especially to some kids that had no access of getting them. I always got my cut from him because he was my best friend. I call him the Nerd 🤓

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Kinda the same. My friend was the only person at the time who had the internet, so in order for me to get some cheats, I had to go over to his house, and ask if they could search for cheats. I got cheats for some PS1 games back in the day. I remember having to write them down sometimes, or they would be cool to print off a sheet. But I remember my friend saying I had to pay $1 to print lol. 

I believe that was the era internet came out newly. It depends on how much your friend purchased the codes, if it is much on him/her, then the $1 price he/she asked you was just to cut expenses down. Or do you think your friend doesn't offer help to you without fees? Mine friends didn't charge me back then.