Register Now
DC

Cheat codes for video games

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's just the pattern right now and all of them have followed it up. It's most likely never going to change anymore but rather it's going to get a lot more worse. The more they get successful at it, the more they will explore it. 

Oh of course not. They're going to forever focus on putting it behind a paywall. Which sucks, because all of these cosmetic items tend to cost a ton in games. Fortnite for example is pretty pricey witrh their characters. Even the weapon skins and pick axes are overpriced in my opinion. Or like back blings and gliders. Just crazy that they charge so much for stuff like that. 

I just miss the day where a game wouldn't force things behind a paywall. 

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Oh of course not. They're going to forever focus on putting it behind a paywall. Which sucks, because all of these cosmetic items tend to cost a ton in games. Fortnite for example is pretty pricey witrh their characters. Even the weapon skins and pick axes are overpriced in my opinion. Or like back blings and gliders. Just crazy that they charge so much for stuff like that. 

I just miss the day where a game wouldn't force things behind a paywall. 

I'm among the guilty one's for what's going on with Fortnite. I have spent a whole lot on the game especially in 2019 when I couldn't hold back from being clawed in by the game. But at the moment, I have slowed down so well from spending on it the way I used to. 

Simple, because cheat codes were used during the testing of a game to ensure it worked. Not with game editors like Unity and Unreal making testing much easier there's no real reason to spend time making cheat codes for a game when you could instead spend that time making more content or improving mechanics/level design/etc.

Some games do it but as design in games improved, cheat codes became less of a fun perk and more of a "robbing the player of the intended experience." If Dark Souls had a god mode, or a cheat that made it give you an amazing weapon and gear set from the start, it wouldn't be Dark Souls.

3 hours ago, Empire said:

Simple, because cheat codes were used during the testing of a game to ensure it worked. Not with game editors like Unity and Unreal making testing much easier there's no real reason to spend time making cheat codes for a game when you could instead spend that time making more content or improving mechanics/level design/etc.

Some games do it but as design in games improved, cheat codes became less of a fun perk and more of a "robbing the player of the intended experience." If Dark Souls had a god mode, or a cheat that made it give you an amazing weapon and gear set from the start, it wouldn't be Dark Souls.

If that were to be done in Dark Soul's, it's going to take everything that made it unique the way it was meant to be. The signature of the game in dishing out untold punishment to any gamer would be ridiculed and it's going to ruin the game. 

10 hours ago, Empire said:

It was with older games that saw the use of cheat codes rampant but with most new game's designs, it's dropped drastically. Although there are still few new games that still makes use of them. Games like Fallout New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA 5, Skyrim and GTA online. One peculiar cheat code in GTA online is having to input the code 1-999-3844-8483 in a cell phone and it would reduce your wanted level by 1 star. 

I've decided that if I see any of these cheat code/strategy books or even game mags in thrift stores, yard sales, etc. I'm going to pick them up. I feel like they're becoming more collectible, and I love revisiting an old magazine with all the ads from the period. 

I wish I took care of the gaming mags I owned. I usually destroyed them by cutting stuff out for school projects. 

On 7/2/2022 at 1:08 AM, Justin11 said:

That's cool to learn that your cousin is a badass when it comes to video games. In the past I loved using this codes, but as time goes, I felt disgruntled with the codes and needed something real, that's why I'm enjoying my games at the moment without cheats. 

I don't always like to rely on cheats codes to enhance my game play but grand theft auto: sahandreas was an exception because cheats codes could give you really interesting weapons and even tanks that you wouldn't be able to get, I enjoyed watching my cousin play this game with the cheat codes and I just grew in love with it and started playing as well.

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I've decided that if I see any of these cheat code/strategy books or even game mags in thrift stores, yard sales, etc. I'm going to pick them up. I feel like they're becoming more collectible, and I love revisiting an old magazine with all the ads from the period. 

I wish I took care of the gaming mags I owned. I usually destroyed them by cutting stuff out for school projects. 

I'm sure that there's still a friend of mine who must have kept some of his old game's magazines. I'm going to try and reach out to him tomorrow and see which one's I would be able to get back from him. 

9 hours ago, Clasher said:

I don't always like to rely on cheats codes to enhance my game play but grand theft auto: sahandreas was an exception because cheats codes could give you really interesting weapons and even tanks that you wouldn't be able to get, I enjoyed watching my cousin play this game with the cheat codes and I just grew in love with it and started playing as well.

Sure, no lie, cheats around GTA S.A was a perfect match I enjoyed it too playing with the cheat codes. It enabled me to code whatever I wanted in the game, I don't even get bursted in the game. 

14 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Most cheat codes I had is mainly PS2 codes, I searched for PS3 when I got PS3 newly but couldn't find one. I don't use cheats anymore, but had it been I got it for dark souls 3, I wouldn't have rejected it. 

Microtransactions have taken over the use of cheat codes and it's why there isn't much relevance to it in gaming lately. It's all about paying for those in game's purchases. 

58 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Microtransactions have taken over the use of cheat codes and it's why there isn't much relevance to it in gaming lately. It's all about paying for those in game's purchases. 

It's the same when you're purchasing the games outrightly, you buy the game and pay micro transactions and gradually the money is pilling up for you, before you know it will amaze to the price you bought the game. 

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

You even used your own magazine cut outs for something good - your school projects. I had mine cut out and used as posters on room wall. Silly me 😂