Register Now
Clue

Anyone familiar with the SEGA SATURN game called DEATH CULT

Putting aside the creative writing exercise for the moment, the game itself doesn't exist. I base this on information others have provided in this Reddit thread and this one (the user asking in all these places has a history with ARGs). Any other evidence I can provide is flimsy. The only clues you'll get are those they want you to see, and even then many Alternate Reality Games (ARG) are tests of reading the creator's mind.

I wish you luck in cracking the case, but you'll only do so by carefully reading their tweets, closely observing their imagery, and watching their spooky videos.

1 hour ago, Dannyjax said:

DEATH CULT doesn't exist on Sega Saturn or even any other gaming platform. I know that because I played on both Sega Saturn and even Genesis for years before upgrading to another console. 

Just because you haven't played the game, that is not proof it doesn't exist. This story reminds me of Polybius, a really mysterious game shrouded in modern myth and even controversy. I do think that @Withywarlock is in the right here, but this is interesting none the less.

Edited by Shagger

12 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Just because you haven't played the game, that is not proof it doesn't exist. This story reminds me of Polybius, a really mysterious game shrouded in modern myth and and even controversy. I do think that @Withywarlock is in the right here, but this is interesting none the less.

In fairness I will amend my earlier statement about 'evidence' as one cannot disprove the existence of something. What I will say is that if Death Cult exists, it is not the 'game' featured in the ARG. What we're seeing in the tweets is a television either displaying a video to look like a game, or it is recently homebrewed game made for the Saturn which is not commercially available (i.e not sold by Virgin Media, nor rated Kids to Adults by the ESRB). I do concur this ARG's content is interesting, even if the tweets themselves leave a lot to be desired (the forum posts are somewhat more believable).

I think the legend of Polybius has the advantage of being from a time where these sort of myths weren't anywhere near as common and were much harder to debunk. "Haunted video game" et al has been done to death with the horror game boom brought on by YouTube personalities, but there's still some gems every now and again. What makes Polybius special is that like all the best lies it's based on half-truths: yes, the government was looking into arcade machines but to see if they were used for illegal gambling; yes, two Portland arcade gamers fell ill within 28 hours of one another but it was not because they injected marijuana or however Joe Bloggs thought drugs were taken in '81. Today's video game myths are told with scratchy music and visual distortion effects, which I'm guilty of using myself.

Back in my day we had to go ten miles uphill through the snow both ways to be told you had to keep your Gamecube on for 24 hours to unlock Sonic in Super Smash Bros.: Melee.

I've gone through your Twitter posts and I'm not convinced.  The idea of a game like this existing on the SEGA Saturn isn't even that shocking to me.  Especially considering that Seaman (AVGN) released on the Dreamcast and that if anything is even weirder.  I would believe it if there were some convincing evidence but there is not.

That's not even close to my biggest doubt though.  First of all, for or a game that allegedly released on the SEGA Saturn, this FMV looks oddly HD.

For context, this is what FMV on the Saturn (at their best) actually looked like:

Then in three other post's (I'm not going to bother to embed them, just look the OP) the character selection screen is completely different with no explanation.

Thirdly, you post birds dying in thunderstorms (with clearly edited footage, but I'm running with it anyway) as proof?  It's not exactly surprising that whit excessive rain, winds and lighting that some birds die.  I don't need a made  up game to explain why.

Then there's the box art which anyone with access to basic Photoshop Software and a printer could produce.  You are completely full of it.

Edited by Crazycrab

Yeah after watching the video showing it off, I find it hard to believe it's true. I'm sure many games didn't come out here in the states or elsewhere, but I feel like if something like this existed, it would have been known a lot sooner. 

Would be cool if it was real, but this seems awfully fake to me. But I could be wrong. 

I played on Sega Saturn for a while before moving on from it and only stuck with Genesis. I think that I heard about the game Death Cult back then, but I never got to see it or have anyone on my list who played. At one point, everything about the game seemed to have died down. This is the first time I have heard about the game in ages. 

This is quite interesting, though I Don't know much this, but going through the comments made by @Withywarlock I can categorically state that if the game exists then it wouldn't be so much of a secret and hard to find as the internet has made it relatively easy to find.

Unless the game was home made by some tech savvy and isn't published for public use which could be the only viable explanation for the secrecy of it's existence.

Then how is that possible @Clasher? I don't believe that any developer or video game developers will develop a game and keep it away from people. What's the essence? I love it when someone enjoys the works of my hand and I get the credit for doing such. 

I believe Death cult exist, maybe no one has cared to go deeper and making researches about the game. 

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

Then how is that possible @Clasher? I don't believe that any developer or video game developers will develop a game and keep it away from people. What's the essence? I love it when someone enjoys the works of my hand and I get the credit for doing such. 

I believe Death cult exist, maybe no one has cared to go deeper and making researches about the game. 

If you read the comments well, you will know that researches has been made but no one seems to know the origins of the video game or have been able to prove that the game truly exist.

Not everyone is after accolades some creates stuff for personal use and maybe by some circumstances people got a hint of it and start looking for, don't you think if the Game truly exist it would be found on the internet or even on the dark web  , the internet wouldn't hide it from any one.

Edited by Clasher

36 minutes ago, Clasher said:

If you read the comments well, you will know that researches has been made but no one seems to know the origins of the video game or have been able to prove that the game truly exist.

Not everyone is after accolades some creates stuff for personal use and maybe by some circumstances people got a hint of it and start looking for, don't you think if the Game truly exist it would be found on the internet or even on the dark web  , the internet wouldn't hide it from any one.

You're very correct with your points, maybe the developer built it for personal derivatives. That's his/her wish, no dispute. Since researches have been carried out concerning the non existence of the game in the dark web, no need to stretch it out anymore.