Register Now
DC

What was the best year for gaming?

Best year for me, would probably be 2010. I'm pretty sure that's the year RDR1 and Skyrim came out. Or maybe Skyrim came out in 09, but either way, I remember those games being huge hits that year. There just seemed to be a big influx of great games released around that time. Of course I know some will list years earlier, but I think 2010 was it for me. 

While everyone else chooses more modern and recent years I'm gonna go with 1972, because it's really is when video games became mainstream enough to get seen as profitable. 1972 was when Pong released which really was the start of the video game market. Sure stuff like Table For Two was around but it didn't get all that popular. Pong is the first big hit in the gaming market, which helped establish a market that lead to all the other classics. Another big arcade cabinet game called Computer Space also released around that time.

Also in 1972 was the Madavox Odduesy which was the first ever console to be released. It paved the way for Atari and Intelvision to enter the console market.

Basically 1972 is when gaming became an actual market. Which is why I'd call it the greatest.

I wouldn't remember because my best video game moments have long deserted me. I played couple of times during the COVID-19 first wave, which contributed more than 4 hours daily. Since then I never played again, bit my best time playing video games dated around 2009-2014, when I nearly slept in the game village just for gaming. 

My best year in gaming would be 2004 and all because of all the games that was released that year. 2004 saw games like ; Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo 2, Half-life 2, World of Warcraft, GTA : San Andreas, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Counter-Strike: Source, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Metroid Prime 2, Need for Speed : Underground and so much more. It was an incredible year for gamers. 

Edited by Heatman

49 minutes ago, Heatman said:

My best year in gaming would be 2004 and all because of all the games that was released that year. 2004 saw games like ; Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo 2, Half-life 2, World of Warcraft, GTA : San Andreas, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Counter-Strike: Source, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Metroid Prime 2, Need for Speed : Underground and so much more. It was an incredible year for gamers. 

Yeah the early 2000s were a good time for gaming, especially 2003-2004 and 2005. Those years brought a ton of great games. 2005 for example brought us RE4. We also got Guitar Hero for the first time, and we all know how that turned out. If anything, I'd say 2001-2010 were some of the best years in gaming. 

Games had style, originality, and uniqueness. Developers were willing to take chances back then. Sure some games were flops, but a hell of a lot were massive hits. Nowadays, everything is a damn sequel. I can probably count on one hand the number of people here who remember waking up early on weekends to play SMB or Duck Hunt. And the kids who had more games than that, were rock stars. Everyone wanted to be their friend.

On 6/27/2022 at 6:31 PM, Kane99 said:

Yeah the early 2000s were a good time for gaming, especially 2003-2004 and 2005. Those years brought a ton of great games. 2005 for example brought us RE4. We also got Guitar Hero for the first time, and we all know how that turned out. If anything, I'd say 2001-2010 were some of the best years in gaming. 

I agree - we got games like Viewtiful Joe, Need For Speed Most Wanted, Chronicles of Riddick, Half-Life 2, GTA San Andreas and whole host of bangers in that period in the early 2000s. Gaming has massively fell off since that period.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:31 AM, Kane99 said:

Yeah, that's true and when you feel like bringing it a little bit forward, then it's going to be 2015 - 2020. It's when we saw games like Bloodborne, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last Of Us II, and Red Dead Redemption 2. 

On 6/27/2022 at 9:50 PM, Techno said:

While everyone else chooses more modern and recent years I'm gonna go with 1972, because it's really is when video games became mainstream enough to get seen as profitable. 1972 was when Pong released which really was the start of the video game market. Sure stuff like Table For Two was around but it didn't get all that popular. Pong is the first big hit in the gaming market, which helped establish a market that lead to all the other classics. Another big arcade cabinet game called Computer Space also released around that time.

Also in 1972 was the Madavox Odduesy which was the first ever console to be released. It paved the way for Atari and Intelvision to enter the console market.

Basically 1972 is when gaming became an actual market. Which is why I'd call it the greatest.

You're right about that and the only good thing that makes some gamers choose modern games is the impressiveness of the game's graphics compared to older games. But what older games brings is uniqueness and more creativity on the part of developers. It's why I would chose between 1972 to 1985 as the best years. 

My best year would be 2010 when I was gifted my very own Xbox 360, I was so excited I washed my dad's car everyday for a whole month as an appreciation (normally my dad takes his car to the car wash or does  the washing himself).

Imagine the excitement when I realized I wouldn't have to sneak to my friends house to play Minecraft, red dead Redemption, halo 3 and grand theft auto amongst others.

This was my best year as I have never been that excited about any video game console not even with my Gameboy pocket version.

Imagine where you impressed your dad, and surprisingly you were gifted a gaming device which you've dreamed to have long time ago. At the moment, I'm thinking about having a PS5, I will say, any moment I get my hands on the device, that year will be marked as the best video game year until something bigger replaces it. 

On 6/27/2022 at 7:39 PM, The Blackangel said:

Games had style, originality, and uniqueness. Developers were willing to take chances back then. Sure some games were flops, but a hell of a lot were massive hits. Nowadays, everything is a damn sequel. I can probably count on one hand the number of people here who remember waking up early on weekends to play SMB or Duck Hunt. And the kids who had more games than that, were rock stars. Everyone wanted to be their friend.

I have to agree to some extent. I feel like the 80s were a big time for gaming, but also a bad time with the crash that happened. Thankfully they rebounded and gaming has been around for a long time since. 

But, I'd argue that there are still many taking chances these days. It's why the indie market is so popular. So many great hits coming out, with unique ideas. If anything that time, has inspired many people today to keep at it and make the games they truly want to see and play. But yeah, we get too many sequels these days it seems. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I have to agree to some extent. I feel like the 80s were a big time for gaming, but also a bad time with the crash that happened. Thankfully they rebounded and gaming has been around for a long time since. 

Our gratitude goes to the Japanese gaming industry that sustained the gaming industry during the crash, otherwise we wouldn't have been playing video games today. It was a horrible experience for gamers when it happened. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

Our gratitude goes to the Japanese gaming industry that sustained the gaming industry during the crash, otherwise we wouldn't have been playing video games today. It was a horrible experience for gamers when it happened. 

I think eventually gaming would have rebounded. I don't think gaming was ever something that would have officially died. If anything, it would have died out, and then someone like Nintendo will come along. I think it was inevitable with Nintendo coming, that things would change. And even if the NES was a failure on release, something else would have come out to help put us back into that direction where gaming will become a massive pastime for many. But, Nintendo succeeded and here we are today. I just think the gaming collapse in the 80s was just a hiccup. No matter what, gaming was going to come out on top.