Register Now
Kane99

Atari Is 50 years old today

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

You can get some Atari games for less than a dollar in the right places. I have 4 or 5 consoles at the moment, and absolutely love it. I have a hell of a lot of games on it and play it like a fiend. I love the 2 bit graphics. It's just a cherished moment for me when I play it. What I'm wanting to do however, is get my hands on another Colecovision. But they're nowhere near cheap, unfortunately.

Yeah I heard they are even fairly cheap in box. I don't know about brand new, but I heard some go for pretty cheap to this day. So I guess it's pretty much the opportune time to start collecting Atari games/consoles. Better jump on it before people start to cause inflation. 

Though I only heard numerous stories about it from my parents when they like to banter me that my passion for games isn't  new to them and they have done same in the past but now I have taken mine just a bit too extreme for their liking.

It's just weird that the company couldn't pull through and stand the test of time , though they are trending online now.

Does anyone think the company would make a good comeback if they actually tried to?

3 hours ago, Clasher said:

Though I only heard numerous stories about it from my parents when they like to banter me that my passion for games isn't  new to them and they have done same in the past but now I have taken mine just a bit too extreme for their liking.

It's just weird that the company couldn't pull through and stand the test of time , though they are trending online now.

Does anyone think the company would make a good comeback if they actually tried to?

It's not the same Atari we know. The name has been sold off a couple times already, so it's just Atari in name and not history anymore. Even though the people who own the name now are in the gaming industry, they aren't nearly the same as they were when they started. Hell, I don't even think one person from the original Atari has any involvement with Atari. 

The original Atari no, but the current Atari maybe. But their console, the VCS, so far looks to have been a failure. I don't know what they have planned next, but they will probably have to figure something else out that could work. 

43 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

It's not the same Atari we know. The name has been sold off a couple times already, so it's just Atari in name and not history anymore. Even though the people who own the name now are in the gaming industry, they aren't nearly the same as they were when they started. Hell, I don't even think one person from the original Atari has any involvement with Atari. 

The original Atari no, but the current Atari maybe. But their console, the VCS, so far looks to have been a failure. I don't know what they have planned next, but they will probably have to figure something else out that could work. 

Yeah , you made some valid points and even if Atari could have a come back in future maybe, it won't be what we knew them to be, the name might remain the same but not the company and definitely not the quality of their consoles as well.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:26 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I didn't realize Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration is coming out as a game with 90 Atari games on it plus extras like Atari's history etc. Released this December 2022. 

That will be massive, let's cross our hands and wait till 'December 2022 to see if we're going to see this announcement taking place. 

It's been a long and an illustrious achievement that Atari have had in the past 50 years. I can still remember when my uncle gifted me my first Atari console in Atari 2600 and just like that now, it's been 50 years and they are still in here. 

Congratulations to the company and the team behind every project they ever took on. 

Edited by Heatman