Register Now
DC

Why do you play video games?

Please share your reasons.

It really depends for me. For example, I play games like solitaire, chess, and bridge to keep my mind sharp and engaged. I play sports related games like Madden and NBA because I am a sports fan and enjoy competing with and against my favorite players and teams. I play games like PUBM, Battlefield, and Call of Duty because shooters are fun and very social.

Simply put, they're fun. Video games are an escape from reality, a temporary escape, but an escape nonetheless. They can also be benefitial, from being a tool to workout, to improving dexterity, hand eye coordination, problem solving, and more. Video games are entertainment. I play them because I have fun with them, and they make the mundane days better. 

I play games either to challenge myself or for comfort food.  WRC 8 is a challenge.  I've had it for almost four months now and my best finishes are a few 3rd place finishes in  the Rally Sweden.  GT6 is more comfort food, I've had it for years, it has a ton of Chevys and I enjoy it and am very good at it.  Twisted 2 is comfort food and a challenge all wrapped into one game.  Then there are games that are mindless fun like Taxi Cab Pinball for the PS1. 

I don't know how else we could answer it. To me, gaming is more than just a hobby. It's something that has also connected me with friends, and family. My nephew for example, is in love with gaming, so much so that I think he's going to surpass me on the gaming knowledge one day. He's already crazy for Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and so on. 

I like getting people into video games. 🙂 

This is a great question - the reasons I play video games are as follows:

• It's a hobby that I've been doing since I was kid and I still love so I play it
  • It helps me to think about complex problems (seriously, I've come up with some pretty good solutions to real-life issues while gaming)
  • Helps me to take my mind off the real world and helps me to de-stress.

I play video games and at times stream as I have nothing else in life that worth awhile being my life. Someone with no job and earning very little that doesn't go away needs something in life. Not to mention playing games makes me think outside of the box and get away what a day that I had to go though. Makes me a differnt person and my minde things away the bad crap at times.  If you had a bad raging day, play CSGO to release that inside of you.

To go to places, have adventures, make friends, stay in touch, jump off cliffs, scale buildings, slay dragons, be an elf, choose my path, throw fireballs, snipe a target, nuke a culture, kill pigs with birds, steal a cop car, be a Jedi, be a cowboy, collect skulls, find the treasure, level up, hear the ding, escape the dungeon, choose good or evil, own a castle, save the king, kill the king, become the king, save the galaxy and die and die and die and die and die and live again.

I am a  sports lover too, that's why I'm engaged with sports games like, motor GP, Asphalt, GT, F1 etc. Apart from racing I play soccer games, even if I don't play FIFA games anymore I'm still engaged with mobile soccer games like 'DLS. 

Almost everyone that plays video games get into it as a hobby and it's a good way of having fun. This is the core purpose for my having to play video games of any sorts. If it's not making me happy, I'm moving on. 

Gaming is something humans have always wanted since the beginning of existence. I'm gonna speak for the entire human population that ever existed then I'll say why I game. Humans have always wanted to visualize ideas, beliefs, expression, communication. We want to visualize Gods and religion and see it in architecture, statues, and images. We want to live in that world that was created and surround ourselves in the world we want. Everything being made as a reflection of our society. We want to conquer others and force our images into their world as we keep expanding. Art, craft, and language are all things used to immerse ourselves in how we want our world to look like. Then we develop more and more entertainment like shows and music performances. We are always trying to give people something to imagine and enjoy. Then came along TV and for the first time we can have entertainment from home. Our homes become more and more comfortable. More space, electricity, fridge, ovens, washer machines, just about everything is being provided in the homes. Then internet comes about, but we are still lacking something after all this entertainment, art, culture. We are lacking an interaction with fantasies, with scenery, with stories. Then came along 2D video games. For the first time ever, we can start interacting with a made up environment. Then games advanced even more to this 9th generation and VR. And now things look more real than ever and we can immerse ourselves even more in what it is we want. So now in a world where most people are different, we can surround ourselves in an environment we want. Interact in a story, the world, with others. Since the beginning when we developed written language and petroglyphs/hieroglyphs, we were always trying to interact with our world, with others, and honor a deity. We have tried to immortalize ourselves, play as the creator, and make our own worlds. We can see it in every culture. Video games is that never ending progression into the need to have our own world, the way we want to see it. No matter if it's fighting, sports, or horror, we are enjoying a far advanced evolution from our primitive days of drawing on cave walls. Oh yeah, I play because I'm tired of writing on the walls. 

Edited by Reality vs Adventure

On 6/28/2022 at 7:24 PM, Kane99 said:

I don't know how else we could answer it. To me, gaming is more than just a hobby. It's something that has also connected me with friends, and family. My nephew for example, is in love with gaming, so much so that I think he's going to surpass me on the gaming knowledge one day. He's already crazy for Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and so on. 

I like getting people into video games. 🙂 

This is a real fact about how gaming have helped me keep in touch with most of my friends that are no longer close in proximity with me. In the process, it makes it possible for us to have fun playing together online. It's a big thing for all of us. 

I know a guy who only plays games for money purpose and it's most of his game's are tournaments based play. I'm not sure if that's how to enjoy video games because when you don't win, it means that you have succeeded with your purpose of gaming. It's going to kill my interest in playing quickly. 

On 6/29/2022 at 2:22 AM, killamch89 said:

• Helps me to take my mind off the real world and helps me to de-stress.

There's a good number of people who believe that playing video games is effective in helping people with depression problems get better from it. There's a possibility of that happening, depending on the nature of one's depression level.