Register Now
DC

Why do you play video games?

Video game and soccer is in the same category for me when it comes to the kind of entertainment I choose in life. When I was small, if I see where they are playing football or video game related to shooters or soccer, you've filled my day with excessive joy. 

19 hours ago, Clasher said:

My parent were not even happy I spent so many hours playing video game, the only Games they approved of then was chess, Monopoly and other board games, though they never tried to stop me from playing video games.

As a kid, my parents handpicked all of my games, so they don't have to worry about what kind of games I consume its content. Although, they limit and moderate my play in order to prevent me from getting addicted. 

2 hours ago, Dannyjax said:

As a kid, my parents handpicked all of my games, so they don't have to worry about what kind of games I consume its content. Although, they limit and moderate my play in order to prevent me from getting addicted. 

My parents only stopped bothering me about how much time I spent playing videogames when I was able to buy my own console, they couldn't say much because I bought it with my savings so they knew I was very passionate about playing videogames.

22 hours ago, Steerminator said:

I consider video games to be my whole reason for being.  There is nothing in life I'm more passionate about.

That's one big commitment you have for video games right there. Do you stream your games online? If yes, I would be interested in watching you play. 

One thing I forgot to mention, is that I started gaming because of my mom and sister. We had an NES growing up, and my mom and sister gamed on it a lot. It's what got me into video games to begin with. I'm sure I would have gotten into video games either way, but I love that bit of my life as it's really the only time my mom and sister played video games. Sadly they don't play games these days. 😞 So it's a nice little memory that I have. 

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

One thing I forgot to mention, is that I started gaming because of my mom and sister. We had an NES growing up, and my mom and sister gamed on it a lot. It's what got me into video games to begin with. I'm sure I would have gotten into video games either way, but I love that bit of my life as it's really the only time my mom and sister played video games. Sadly they don't play games these days. 😞 So it's a nice little memory that I have. 

My parents never wanted me anywhere near playing video games. They were anti gamers and it was a big issue for me then as a kid. It was my uncle that got me into gaming on his Atari 2600 before I later got Amiga CD32. My mother never like it whenever I want to visit my uncle because she knew I was going to have a good time playing games. 

On 7/6/2022 at 11:24 PM, Rainbow Road said:

Because they're fun and I get to do things that I would never/could never do in real life.

That's all.

Getting tossed into the world of fantasy is one of the biggest advantages of video games. It gives you another whole different dimension to explore and experience. It's why open world games are a very big thing for me because of what I can be able to pull off in the game. 

On 7/5/2022 at 8:32 AM, Heatman said:

That's one big commitment you have for video games right there. Do you stream your games online? If yes, I would be interested in watching you play. 

Hah... you know, I've thought about it.  I'm not sure I'm terribly fond of the idea of having to constantly chatter away trying to sound interesting while I'm gaming though.

4 hours ago, Steerminator said:

Hah... you know, I've thought about it.  I'm not sure I'm terribly fond of the idea of having to constantly chatter away trying to sound interesting while I'm gaming though.

Some gamers see it as a way to give back to the gaming community through letting other have access to what and how they play.

It's not always tied to making money off it but just to help out other gamers. I'm considering getting into doing it one day. 

On 7/6/2022 at 6:20 PM, Heatman said:

My parents never wanted me anywhere near playing video games. They were anti gamers and it was a big issue for me then as a kid. It was my uncle that got me into gaming on his Atari 2600 before I later got Amiga CD32. My mother never like it whenever I want to visit my uncle because she knew I was going to have a good time playing games. 

Some parents were like that. My parents didn't always allow me to game, there were times where I wasn't allowed, or had a time I had to be off the games. I did get a lot of the "You should be outside, stop playing video games, they're for kids" or "You're wasting your life playing games", etc. Stuff like that always bugged me, because I had family who would watch TV all day, or read all day. What's the difference if I want to game all day? 

But these days, gaming is more popular than ever and I think people are more accepting of the hobby. Plus now with people making real money from it, either in making games, playing them, or talking about them. 

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Some parents were like that. My parents didn't always allow me to game, there were times where I wasn't allowed, or had a time I had to be off the games. I did get a lot of the "You should be outside, stop playing video games, they're for kids" or "You're wasting your life playing games", etc. Stuff like that always bugged me, because I had family who would watch TV all day, or read all day. What's the difference if I want to game all day? 

But these days, gaming is more popular than ever and I think people are more accepting of the hobby. Plus now with people making real money from it, either in making games, playing them, or talking about them. 

I was the kid that was always quiet despite been popular in school I didn't really like to talk much, so I was either playing video games or hanging out with my very few friends at the games park.

My parents were usually worried about my state of mind and would always encourage me to hang out more with real people and even with girls instead of my video games, but they didn't try to stop me from playing though.

Video games were so much fun to me than any other activity , I actually made video games popular among the boy in school as every kid my age wanted to be like the "cool kid" who doesn't talk much but has a lot of video games and really cool gadgets.

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Exactly!! My parents at that time felt playing video games doesn't have any positive impact on one's life and as such they were completely against it. I can remember one time when my mother was furious at me saying that it's going to make me not know how to associate with people physically. But at one point, everything shifted in the community/world and gaming became something that's accepted.