Register Now
NightmareFarm

Do you think 7th gen consoles will ever become "retro"?

And by retro, i'm not talking about just age. I mean will it look so dated in the future that we will look at it then like how we look at say 5th gen consoles like the PS1 and N64 now? 

I think it is possible but only if there is a massive generational shift which instantly dates the hell out of previous gens. Like when we hit real life graphics at 120fps norm, AI based gaming becomes a thing and UIs have instant speed for everything. 

Well everything becomes "Retro" at some point. Hell, I'd say the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube are retro consoles at this point. Back then the graphics were fantastic. Graphics back then don't come close to the graphics we have today. But down the road, graphics will continue to get better and better. But, we're going to get to a point where graphics can't get better, or they will stay at a constant pace. 

I think most people consider the generation they grew up with to be the best. For me, the PS2 generation was far better than the 360 one. 3D graphics had finally found their place. So many innovative games were coming out each year, game development was still cheap enough that moderate sized studios could compete with AAA companies. Microtransactions were unheard of and games didn't require internet connectivity to properly enjoy. Gaming in general had a wild west feeling where developers were willing to take risks and try new things.

Honestly they are probably closing in on the retro standard sooner rather than later. Think of it this way, the 7th gen of consoles came out around 2005/2006/2007. So that leaves us 13-15 years ago. It's 2022 now, I'd say 20 years later, it would be deemed retro. So 2025-2027 is when I think these consoles will be considered retro. 

To be fair, they are already feeling that way, considering most of the kids that grew up with these consoles are adults now. And when I became an adult, PS1, N64 and earlier became retro. I consider PS2, Xbox and Gamecube retro as well. 2007 feels like forever ago too. I'd consider it retro by now. Especially when a lot of these consoles are being taken offline and becoming obsolete in terms of their hardware. 

It's only a matter of time before any console has its vibe switched from next-gen to current-gen, to previous-gen, and then retro/not active anymore. The PS2 is already falling into the retro era, and in a good chunk of years, we'll see the PS3 follow suit into there.

Eventually, I expect so. 

I don't expect it'll come from the graphics: there will still be improvements in that area, but they'll be smaller and more incremental as the years go on. But we can't predict what the next major technological shift will be, that makes gameplay more immersive (perhaps the design of the controllers themselves will change to be more immersive?). And even if there are no big technological improvements, there will likely be cultural shifts of some kind, which will be reflected in the games themselves.

I grew up playing Atari 2600 and NES. I remember people freaking out about how realistic the graphics were on the NES. Everyone wanted one. Then SNES. Same thing. There was a kid in my math class that was selling off all his SNES games and system, to get money for the N64 when it came out. People were more than blown away by the graphics. It was the first system that offered full 360° game play. Those consoles, while completely innovative for their time, are all but forgotten these days. They are retro, or "classic" as I call them. There is also a large part of gamers that prefer the old stuff, me being one of them. I play a tough of modern games (RDR2 nut), but aside from that, I'm strictly a classic gamer.

That rambling aside, all consoles will become retro at some point. As time goes on, consoles will be built bigger and badder until we just put a small chip to the side of our heads and are flashed into another world of complete immersion.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Conspiracy theory time lol. But on a more serious note - Eventually, people 50 years from now will be like, can you believe they used this ancient piece of tech? That's if humanity survives until then...

Lol. Yeah people will look at us like cavemen with their hologram laptops or something. 

In the end I always feel that everything becomes retro, it just varies on how many years it takes before it is classed as retro or before people refer to them as retro. Things like the Xbox Series S & X or the PS5 are going to be a while before they are ever classed as retro, but I don't see either Sony or Microsoft stopping there with their consoles and eventually things will progress and become better when technology gets better and eventually these will be retro consoles. Things like the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 I would say could be classed as retro to some extent much like the Super Nintendo, Gameboy and even the Sega Master System are now what we call retro.