Register Now
Kane99

Do you think 3D gaming will make a comeback? (3D TVs)

3D seems like a dying thing, at least when it comes to using 3D glasses, 3D TVs and so on. I know the generation with Xbox 360, and PS3 had some games that were 3D TV enabled, as in they would work in 3D if you had an actual 3D TV. 

These days though, 3D TVs have kinda died out. It seems that 3D makes a comeback like every 10 years and then disappears again. Do you think 3D TVs and 3D games will make a comeback? 

I owned PS3 but I didn't experience the 3D TV feature nor wore the 3D gaming glass. I understand it was around in the past, even some gamers still make use of the 3D enabled TV, I don't know if their will be a comeback. Anything can still happen, the developers might consider one day to rebrand it and bring it back in a modernized way. 

It probably will in some fashion or another. It's as you say that 3D has come and gone every so often, so when there's some worthwhile momentum in its marketing and applications, it'll boom as it did before either fading away quietly like it did the last time, or it'll become a mainstay. Hell, I didn't think the current iteration of Virtual Reality (VR) would have a foothold as strong as it has in the tech and consumer space, but that's mostly because it's become practical. 3D caused headaches, eye-strain and earlier versions required glasses (or were just red and blue), but while VR still struggles with those hurdles, VR's applications are far greater than visual entertainment hence the greater budget put into its development.

PS: Nice to see you back on the forum!

I don't want to wear glasses to watch a movie. And If I already wore glasses for my vision, I sure as hell wouldn't want to add another pair on top of those. I can think of exactly one move in my entire life that truly benefited from 3D, and that's Gravity. Most movies just don't need 3D, so it's not worth the hassle as a viewer.

I think if 3D movies make any kind of comeback, it'll be in VR.

On 6/29/2022 at 6:44 AM, Crazycrab said:

3D TV's were a fad that I'm glad are pretty much dead now.  Nobody wants to sit in their living room wearing those stupid glasses!  VR is a better platform for 3D content in my opinion.

Agreed and even though VR has its own set of problems, it's still a more enticing option than 3D TV's.

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's most likely not going to happen. I think its time is gone and users have moved on. If anything similar is going to be recognised, it's definitely going to be in Virtual Reality. 

That's true - Virtual Reality/Augmented reality has long surpassed the limits of 3D tech.

The thing I forgot to mention about 3d tvs and other 3d tech like it, is that it's been around for a long time, hasn't it? I feel like 3d tvs have been around probably since the 80s or something. Or earlier maybe. It feels like it makes a comeback every 10-20 years and then people remember how 3d isn't all that great and they forget about it until the next 3d tv tech craze comes around years later. 

Do they even produced 3d tvs these days?

2 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

I hope so. I liked the 3D effect on the 3DS.

The chance of 3D TVs and games utilizing it in the future is likely to happen again. I think most games these days support 3D TVs anyway, so maybe future we'll see 3D TVs making another comeback. But again, I just don't see it sticking around for too long. I think VR is what people are flocking to these days. 

On 7/1/2022 at 4:58 AM, Kane99 said:

The chance of 3D TVs and games utilizing it in the future is likely to happen again. I think most games these days support 3D TVs anyway, so maybe future we'll see 3D TVs making another comeback. But again, I just don't see it sticking around for too long. I think VR is what people are flocking to these days. 

It's just the trend with VR and users. It's what's going to be the biggest challenge for 3D TVs and its games. With more gamers drifting towards VR, it's going to be very difficult for it to have any sustained comeback. 

Even tough a gimmick It was interesting at the time and from what i remember the best game that utilized the 3d tv effect was gran turismo 5 but you know after 2 hours people including myself would get a bit dizzy and most likely never used the 3d effect on their tv's again.

Same with the 3ds i tought it was exellent at the time but after a couple of hours, you would just turn the 3d off.

Scott The Woz did an exellent video on 3D gaming :

Edited by Yaramaki

I enjoyed the polarized 3D glasses used in cinema back then, right now 3D us mainly used in medicine and architecture and the trend for 3D movies and games is dying out, let's just see what the future holds.

On 6/30/2022 at 6:32 PM, killamch89 said:

That's true - Virtual Reality/Augmented reality has long surpassed the limits of 3D tech.

Exactly, and with what they are doing with Metaverse lately, they are heavily exploring everything there's to be enjoyed and experienced in Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality. 3D don't have a good chance of making a good comeback. 

On 7/4/2022 at 9:47 AM, Yaramaki said:

Even tough a gimmick It was interesting at the time and from what i remember the best game that utilized the 3d tv effect was gran turismo 5 but you know after 2 hours people including myself would get a bit dizzy and most likely never used the 3d effect on their tv's again.

Same with the 3ds i tought it was exellent at the time but after a couple of hours, you would just turn the 3d off.

Scott The Woz did an exellent video on 3D gaming :

I'll give you that. 3D can be fun, and can work, but I feel like it doesn't matter so much. Like I said after playing the 3DS, the 3D options didn't really keep me interested. I was more interested in the games without any gimmicks like 3D. I often turned the 3D options off after a while because it would start to bug my eyes anyway. Much like you said you didn't play in 3D for long and would instead turn that feature off. 

Which is why when the 2DS came out, I was like, that's kinda cool. But, I still would have preferred a 2DS that folded like the 3DS. Didn't understand why they did that with the 2DS.