Register Now
DC

If there were no video games

When I got admission in the tertiary institution I almost forgot about gaming. Because, I didn't go with my console, no games where installed on my mobile device, since I didn't want distraction. I spent more than eight months without video games, I was simply enjoying my studies, reading, preparing for lectures. 

That would be a no brainer for me and it's hiking and preferable in the middle of nowhere because it's the most relaxing experience you can have after a stressfull day or week at work all the negative thoughts and stress are gone by the time you're done hiking, wheter going alone or with friends it doesen't really matter it's  the next best hobby to have besides gaming well in my oppinion that is.

Edited by Yaramaki

I'd definitely go back to reading books and graphic novels. It's strange to think about life w/o video games now. it's who I am and what I like. Maybe look for some new shows to watch. I just don't feel that much into cable tv anymore. I don't spend as much time trying to win bids collecting anymore, so w/o games I'd probably do a head dive into ebay. 

Oh god no, don't take my video games away lol. But seriously, if video games never existed, I imagine I would stick to movies, tv, music, etc. It's weird though, because thinking back, I don't remember a time where I didn't have video games in my life. Hell I was born into video games, so the idea of never having them bothers me lol. But, I think if they didn't exist, I don't think humans would care. Because we wouldn't have ever know about video games, so we'd find hobbies elsewhere. 

I'd probably be doing a lot of outdoor activities like Jet Skiing, in-line skating, mountain biking - maybe even skydiving (might try this one day). Or maybe I'd continue with track and field and playing football like I did in high school but I'd take one of them more seriously.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'd probably be doing a lot of outdoor activities like Jet Skiing, in-line skating, mountain biking - maybe even skydiving (might try this one day). Or maybe I'd continue with track and field and playing football like I did in high school but I'd take one of them more seriously.

I imagine that's what the result would be. More people getting outside, living life instead of in front of a tv. Even with tv and movies, I feel like people wouldn't be as cooped up in their homes all day. Yeah there will be some who watch tv and movies all day. 

4 minutes ago, Clasher said:

Watching movies, riding bikes and reading would serve if by any chance video games doesn't exist anymore.

For sure. I'd be riding bikes more often if I wasn't so lazy haha! 

5 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I imagine that's what the result would be. More people getting outside, living life instead of in front of a tv. Even with tv and movies, I feel like people wouldn't be as cooped up in their homes all day. Yeah there will be some who watch tv and movies all day. 

For sure. I'd be riding bikes more often if I wasn't so lazy haha! 

You ain't the only lazy one but in my case I am just lazy for outdoor activities spend most of my time indoors playing videogames , seeing a movie or working. Lol

If videogames are taken away then maybe I would have enough reason to go out more.

Before I wanted to be a games designer I wanted to be a cartoonist. I loved the Beano and Dandy, as well as other long lost comics from the UK. Still to this day I could easily pick up a Beano and, well, have a beano with it. I later found adult comics like Viz, Zit (yes, that really is the name of a comic) and a decade later underground comics from the US. While I'm more into Marvel and Image Comics today, I still enjoy comic strips with webcomics and those in Private Eye magazine.

So that would likely be the path I'd pursue: keep having comics mailed to me while I continue my exercises in creative writing, and who knows, maybe actually getting those books I used to love writing published.

It's a silly question because most of us would find other games to play. Board, card, pen and paper RPG were popular before video and still are today. A choose your own adventure book is the book equivalent of a telltale video game. I'm certain that I, along with most gamers, would simply have wasted our time on some other thing if we had never gotten into videogames. It's possible that I could be wrong, but I find that to be unlikely.

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Movies are nice but I can only sit through 2 movies at most before I'm completely bored and I've never watched TV for more than 2-3 hours at a time.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Movies are nice but I can only sit through 2 movies at most before I'm completely bored and I've never watched TV for more than 2-3 hours at a time.

We're all different though. For me, as of late I've been watching a couple movies a night. Sometimes 3. Watching with friends. I've also been binging Community again and I can't watch that show for hours on end. 

But I imagine without video games, I would be watching even more. But I may also be leaving my house more. I just don't see myself watching TV and movies all day long every day haha. 

If movies were something I love I could've been spending couple of times with my siblings since I came back to stay with them for some time. But it doesn't interest me that much, I rather hang on play video games all day all night, if I'm not doing anything serious online.