Register Now
Kane99

How many players can be on an esports team?

How many players do you think are allowed on a single esports team? Do some teams have alternates where if a player is sick, can't compete or whatever, they at least have someone to take over? I know my last topic talked about trading of players and such, but how many players do esports teams usually have? And do they have multiple different teams under one esport team? I figure there's a male and female team for each esport org out there. 

On 7/1/2022 at 12:04 PM, Kane99 said:

How many players do you think are allowed on a single esports team? Do some teams have alternates where if a player is sick, can't compete or whatever, they at least have someone to take over? I know my last topic talked about trading of players and such, but how many players do esports teams usually have? And do they have multiple different teams under one esport team? I figure there's a male and female team for each esport org out there. 

It's obviously going to depend on what game it is and what game play modes are being played in the tournament. Some games do not allow backups or alternative players, meaning that if a player is a no show; their match is thrown in singles, a team match could be postponed, or outright given to the team as a result of a disqualification or submission. You can call up a company and ask because it's going to depend. There is very little regulation across the board in E-Sports, if any at all.

13 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

It's obviously going to depend on what game it is and what game play modes are being played in the tournament. Some games do not allow backups or alternative players, meaning that if a player is a no show; their match is thrown in singles, a team match could be postponed, or outright given to the team as a result of a disqualification or submission. You can call up a company and ask because it's going to depend. There is very little regulation across the board in E-Sports, if any at all.

That makes sense. I figured most teams had multiple people and even have smaller teams within the team.  

Didn't know you can't have people take over for someone who can't play though. That would suck.

What happens in the case of someone dying? Could they bring in a person to take over his/her position? I feel like that would be awful to turn away a team because of death and such. 

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That makes sense. I figured most teams had multiple people and even have smaller teams within the team.  

Didn't know you can't have people take over for someone who can't play though. That would suck.

What happens in the case of someone dying? Could they bring in a person to take over his/her position? I feel like that would be awful to turn away a team because of death and such. 

Like I was saying: There's relatively lax regulation (if any in some areas) on E-Sports, which is why there's been international criminal investigations into communities like counter strike, and the list of corruption goes on...

and on...

and on...

and on...

It's quite frankly outrageous. Perhaps you can share with me how to share a simple link (are we allowed to do that on here?) Karl Jobst is a good youtube channel that exposes fraud and some of the cases are downright outrageous. The newest one on there involved a player that did a fraudulent speed run at the world's biggest speed running showcase event called Games Down Quick (or a summer version of it, or whatever). His fake speed run was given the green light after raising $25,000 dollars to do it as it was his second run and most players only do one. Not only that but his run was accepted, promoted, and even added to the list of world records on speedrun.com.

Very disgusting. Anyway: With the lax e-sports regulation, as I said before, there is likely a case by case situation with different e-sports "teams" where they might have backups in some cases. With big games that have 5 on 5's, so far as I understand; there is really just the 5 people. These people are young so nobody has really died prior to a tournament and if they did, then it would likely be a DQ or event would be pushed back.

2 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Like I was saying: There's relatively lax regulation (if any in some areas) on E-Sports, which is why there's been international criminal investigations into communities like counter strike, and the list of corruption goes on...

and on...

and on...

and on...

It's quite frankly outrageous. Perhaps you can share with me how to share a simple link (are we allowed to do that on here?) Karl Jobst is a good youtube channel that exposes fraud and some of the cases are downright outrageous. The newest one on there involved a player that did a fraudulent speed run at the world's biggest speed running showcase event called Games Down Quick (or a summer version of it, or whatever). His fake speed run was given the green light after raising $25,000 dollars to do it as it was his second run and most players only do one. Not only that but his run was accepted, promoted, and even added to the list of world records on speedrun.com.

Very disgusting. Anyway: With the lax e-sports regulation, as I said before, there is likely a case by case situation with different e-sports "teams" where they might have backups in some cases. With big games that have 5 on 5's, so far as I understand; there is really just the 5 people. These people are young so nobody has really died prior to a tournament and if they did, then it would likely be a DQ or event would be pushed back.

You're allowed to post links, but there may be a limit to how many posts you have to make first before you can. But I don't remember to be honest. I thought it was 25, but maybe it's 30 posts. Maybe mods like @Shagger, or @The Blackangel can shed more light on that? I think you need to complete a certain amount of posts to be allowed to post links. 

I'll look into some of that as well. I'm kinda interested in hearing all about the corruption, especially if it's so rampant in the esports community. Kinda don't want to try to get into competitive gaming now because of how corrupt it sounds. 

8 hours ago, Kane99 said:

You're allowed to post links, but there may be a limit to how many posts you have to make first before you can. But I don't remember to be honest. I thought it was 25, but maybe it's 30 posts. Maybe mods like @Shagger, or @The Blackangel can shed more light on that? I think you need to complete a certain amount of posts to be allowed to post links. 

I'll look into some of that as well. I'm kinda interested in hearing all about the corruption, especially if it's so rampant in the esports community. Kinda don't want to try to get into competitive gaming now because of how corrupt it sounds. 

I can get in to some of it, but I can't cover everything I've fished out because it could be considered advertising cheats when in fact I don't cheat at all. It could also give people ideas they've never thought of, because the corruption and fraud is pretty bad. There are some books written on how pro (physical) sports are rigged, and the author of one of those books did indeed write about e-sports involving fraud in his latest book.

Teams still come together, it just happens slower over multiple seasons in the new model. Even with the 2/3 rules, a huge number of roster changes happen, and in a season or two we will have teams that are technically still the same team as a group that was in RLCS before, but has only 1 or none of the same players. For example, Rogue started as Atelier, who consisted of Sizz, Matt and Turtle, and they competed under the name Rogue at S3 lan. Rogue is still in RLCS now, but Sizz is the only remaining player from that team.

8 hours ago, Empire said:

Teams still come together, it just happens slower over multiple seasons in the new model. Even with the 2/3 rules, a huge number of roster changes happen, and in a season or two we will have teams that are technically still the same team as a group that was in RLCS before, but has only 1 or none of the same players. For example, Rogue started as Atelier, who consisted of Sizz, Matt and Turtle, and they competed under the name Rogue at S3 lan. Rogue is still in RLCS now, but Sizz is the only remaining player from that team.

Yes, I agree, and that's what I was intending to point out above. There's so many "team" shifting, or I'm guessing what is actually re-branding in some cases, that "trades" -- like in pro-football -- would be unnecessary. I've seen fighting game people having been on well over 6 to 10 teams in just a matter of years.

There are a lot of cheats this days in e-sports and there isn't much of a regulation to check for it, a team of 5 could have a backup team somewhere and you wouldn't be able to spot it until you are suddenly surrounded.

Well I think you could have a team of 5 players at most I guess, I haven't seen a team with more yet.

On 8/5/2022 at 12:15 PM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Yes, I agree, and that's what I was intending to point out above. There's so many "team" shifting, or I'm guessing what is actually re-branding in some cases, that "trades" -- like in pro-football -- would be unnecessary. I've seen fighting game people having been on well over 6 to 10 teams in just a matter of years.

I can see that. I imagine it's partly to do with egos and people thinking they're the best. Especially when it comes to fighting games, some people take the genre so seriously. So I could see some pros thinking they're too good for the team they're on and switch. 

There are no basic rules in Esports tournaments. I have seen some teams lose out as a result of the home team lacking just one dude that probably didn't turn up. It is a big challenge when some teams don't have backup yet. Some of the events have rules that guides situations like this.