Register Now
DC

Windows 10 to be retired in 2025

I'm fine with them retiring windows 10 by then. As long as they allow me to install windows 11 on my current PC somehow, I'll be fine. Otherwise I'll just install Ubuntu or something and use that until I can afford a good gaming PC with win 11 again. 

2 hours ago, Grungie said:

I used the term boomer to refer to someone’s grandparent, or “older” parents that isn’t holding onto an old computer just because of an emotional attachment, but treat it like an appliance like a fridge or microwave under the pretense of “it still works, why do I need to replace it?”. I’m use the more “traditional” term of a boomer, and not the catch all internet meaning of “someone that’s older than me”.

To an extent, you are right with the companies who have data to protect pay to have stuff behind walls of security, the OS doesn’t matter after a certain point.

Where I work, we also have systems running on outdated OS’s, but the big difference is that those don’t connect to an outside network, and you need access to the inside of facility, so at that point, the threat is primarily through an insider threat.

Though at that point, the whole conversation is irrelevant. A closed network, or a standalone system is fine from some asshole on the internet. The same can be said about having a Windows 95 computer not connected to the internet. Someone has to physically get to the computer on question to do something, either intentionally, or unintentionally.

When it comes to something connected to the internet, the OS and lack of security and antivirus updates definitely come into play. Someone finding an exploit in a device that’s been unsupported for several years, you’re not gonna get a patch from Microsoft, Cisco, or Palo Alto.

In regards to a random person using an old computer using an outdated OS connected to the internet, you’re not going to get an up to date antivirus, you’re not getting security updates. You’d be lucky if reinstalling the OS fixes the problem.

Another thing to consider, is that most hackers are actually lazy. Why else are robo callers, and fishing attacks still a thing? It‘s low effort and low risk, and that 1% that fall for it is easier and less risky than trying to hack into something like a government computer. So someone using an outdated OS is an easy attack vector because there’s also a high chance that they don’t have much knowledge on safe practices.

I must ask that in future you do not use the term "boomer" at all. I assumed you understood the term when you clearly don't have any understanding of it at all.  I cannot be bothered to explain to you why your understanding of the term is misplaced, nor why it describes a different person than you think it does, but when I tell you are misusing it.

So please, just don't use it until you actually understand it,

Edited by Shagger

19 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I must ask that in future you do not use the term "boomer" at all. I assumed you understood the term when you clearly don't have any understanding of it at all.  I cannot be bothered to explain to you why your understanding of the term is misplaced, nor why it describes a different person than you think it does, but when I tell you are misusing it.

So please, just don't use it until you actually understand it,

It’s short for baby boomer, someone born in that generation. Since my example was someone’s grandparent (or having older parents) getting hacked for using an outdated computer, I used it correctly.

On 7/29/2022 at 5:09 PM, Shagger said:

Why would a hacker with tools even remotely up to date enough to called a hacker want to steal the credit card info of somebody who in 2022 can only afford to own a device that runs Windows 7 anyway? It would be like a King stealing everything owed by a beggar. I'm willing to bet that Windows 7 is too old for most modern malware programmes to even be compatible.

When I was hacked back in late 2017, I had done a bit of research so I could have an idea what to look out for. It turns out that they'll use windows 7 because it's tracking capabilities are far inferior to like Windows 10 for example so if law enforcement tried to track them electronically, Windows 7 is less traceable and most of the softwares they use work on it. On top of that, it's far lighter to run as a virtual machine using something like virtualbox or vmware and they'll have 100s of these accounts.

That's what I got from some of the Dark Web forums at least.

Meaning in the next three years. Their is still time, I don't even see myself using any electronic gadget that long. If I have Windows 10 now, and it will be retired by 2025, I wouldn't even wait till 2025 to reach and I'll upgrade straight away, maybe next year (2023). 

5 hours ago, Clasher said:

Windows 10 is still working as much as it is supposed to, Maybe Microsoft should reconsider their move as there are still people using Windows 7 and windows 8.

So what would be the faith of those system software.

Windows 7 and 8 haven’t been supported for years, and 8.1 won’t be once January rolls around. Windows 10 will be 10 years old in 2025 when Microsoft pulls the plug.

You have to consider the age of the operating system, and the updates that get pushed to you are security updates. You can only patch something for so long or so much before you gotta let it go.

When you’re not connecting the device to the internet, it’s not a big deal. When you are connected, you have malware to worry about, and that is always changing and evolving.

2 hours ago, Grungie said:

Windows 7 and 8 haven’t been supported for years, and 8.1 won’t be once January rolls around. Windows 10 will be 10 years old in 2025 when Microsoft pulls the plug.

You have to consider the age of the operating system, and the updates that get pushed to you are security updates. You can only patch something for so long or so much before you gotta let it go.

When you’re not connecting the device to the internet, it’s not a big deal. When you are connected, you have malware to worry about, and that is always changing and evolving.

Well, we are in a rollercoaster of change and everything is under it's influence, technology needs to be updated regularly to remain relevant and I perfectly understand that.

Maybe its almost time we move on and have a much better system software juts like how 5G is Rapidly replacing 4G.

38 minutes ago, Clasher said:

Well, we are in a rollercoaster of change and everything is under it's influence, technology needs to be updated regularly to remain relevant and I perfectly understand that.

Maybe its almost time we move on and have a much better system software juts like how 5G is Rapidly replacing 4G.

I initially thought it was too early to discontinue, then I looked at when Windows 10 came out and went “oh… it has been out awhile…”

1 hour ago, Grungie said:

I initially thought it was too early to discontinue, then I looked at when Windows 10 came out and went “oh… it has been out awhile…”

You wouldn't even be able to keep track of how time flies and when it's eventually time for a change you think "isn't it too early" been like that since and I only realized that 7 years has passed since the release of the windows 10.