Register Now
Heatman

Why does Africa have no AAA game studio?

At this moment, there isn't any AAA video game's studio in Africa which boost so many well doing countries with a huge fan base for video games since the year 2000. Why have AAA video games studios eluded or evaded Africa for years? 

I will say, Africa at this moment isn't a targeted market fir them. I believe if more development comes in, it will become a targeted market just as we have in the western world. When it comes to sales, the AAA game studios record more sales around European, American, Asian territories than in Africa. 

Interesting fact is that the African continent has the highest population in the world of people that are under 25, which makes it the youngest continent with 60% of the population under 25. Think about that in terms of a gaming market. The Pan African Gaming Group has brought together 10 gaming studios from different African countries under one group in order to strengthen the market. 

https://venturebeat.com/2022/02/23/pan-africa-gaming-group-aims-to-bring-a-billion-new-players-to-gaming/

9 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Interesting fact is that the African continent has the highest population in the world of people that are under 25, which makes it the youngest continent with 60% of the population under 25. Think about that in terms of a gaming market. The Pan African Gaming Group has brought together 10 gaming studios from different African countries under one group in order to strengthen the market. 

https://venturebeat.com/2022/02/23/pan-africa-gaming-group-aims-to-bring-a-billion-new-players-to-gaming/

This is a very interesting development but I'm a bit disappointed with Nigeria that's supposedly the Giant of Africa isn't among the 10 countries that are pushing for this major breakthrough in Africa's gaming industry. 

22 minutes ago, Heatman said:

This is a very interesting development but I'm a bit disappointed with Nigeria that's supposedly the Giant of Africa isn't among the 10 countries that are pushing for this major breakthrough in Africa's gaming industry. 

Nigeria could see a major boom in the gaming industry. They have a large increase in mobile phone sales giving them more internet access. Unfortunately, I see most of the potential gaming in the form of mobile games and esports where they will get exploited no doubt. 

https://www.blueprint.ng/is-the-video-game-industry-in-nigeria-about-to-explode/

I know that pointed @Heatman that with Africa's gaming install base in gaming being around since the year 2000 that there should be more of an industry in Africa by, but trust 20 or so years in a lot of time at all for such an industry to take hold. Just because people have been playing games for that long in Africa, doesn't mean the opportunities and very indigenous education that's necessary to be able to work in such a complex, fast evolving and not to mention competitive industry are really there yet. The unfortunate truth is America, Japan and Europe are still years ahead.

The next part is something I feel the need to apologize in advance for a it is not pleasant, so sorry to anyone that this upsets.  @Reality vs Adventure, again I'm sorry to say this, but Africa having such a young population doesn't actually speak that much of it's market potential video games, there are other, bigger things. The infant mortality rate and the birth rate in Africa is very high, quite a lot higher than in North America or Europe, with an average age of death that's also a lot younger. The amount of young adults that live in Africa now is a sign of much things have changed for the better as even 20-30 years ago a lot more of those people would not have lived into there 20's, but it didn't stop people have more children then other regions 20 years ago because of the high infant mortality. Like it or not, that is why Africa has such a comparatively young population.

Sad, but currently Africa at the moment doesn't possess the infrastructure and the gaming industry is still in it's infancy stage here though a lot of people are becoming aware of video games the percentage of young people who can even afford these video games Consoles Is relatively low, major companies and brands in fashion, cosmetics and videogames aren't in many parts of Africa yet and we still have to import most of the things we use, it would take some more years before we could see such kind of growths and advancement in terms of video games.

It could be attributed to the lack of economic/political stability in large parts of the continent. There’s  also the issue of modern day infrastructure, for things like roads, electricity, and internet. Some places you’ll only be able to sell your product in the major city(s), but you’d have difficulty transporting the goods to other parts of the country due to poor roads, or warlords, or those other towns don’t have internet or even electricity.

Because most of Africa barely has access to drinking water and food.

You should watch a few documentaries on daily life in some African countries, and then you won't be asking this question.

I especially recommend this series:

10 minutes ago, m76 said:

You should watch a few documentaries on daily life in some African countries, and then you won't be asking this question.

Even if you were right, there is absolutely no need for that insulting "Go get educated" type of response. It's rude and it's unnecessary. The fact you have offered the "advice" to "watch a documentary in Africa" to someone who actually lives there, well that only make you like a fool.

Yes, there are still large area's of Africa that are very poor with people who have other far less arbitrary things to worry about than video games, but it's also a continent in a development boom. May I suggest it's you that needs the education.

18 minutes ago, m76 said:

I think one thing that people oddly don't seem to take into account is that Africa is a big fucking place!  It's a massive continent that's got significant geographical, economic and political diversity.  Most of us ignorent European's and American's are aware of that there is a clear difference between France and Germany but seem to assume little to no difference between Uganda and Kenya despite that geographically they sit pretty similar.

I'm a subject of this ignorance to but I am able to observe the attitude thay many people observe that the problems that affect "Africa" apply to the whole continent rather than individual countries and regions.  South Africa is a very well developed region that actually DOES have some game studios like Clockwork Acorn, and there are others that starve in poverty.

If we want to address problems in "Africa", I think the first thing we need to do is address them as problems in Uganda, Rawanda, Angola, Zimbabwe, Somalia........

I believe it's due to what others have already said, they don't have the infastricture to support one. I'd love to see Africa get into the gaming market more. I can only imagine it would help create jobs and opportunities for many. But it's probably still a long ways off. They're getting there though. It'll just take time. 

What @Crazycrab have said around African continent is the fucking truth. Africa is kinda large continent, but they've failed to capture the eyes of the video game companies establishing branch in various countries in Africa. I believe it is matter of time and Africa will become an attractive option for video game environment. 

12 hours ago, m76 said:

Well , this documentary only highlighted a few parts of Africa and this doesn't justify anything as there are still places even in the United States that are considered as slums with people living on the streets and various other social amenities are lacking, though I know Africa as a continent isn't as developed as some other continents but if big industries and companies like AAA aren't coming to Africa how would this development spread. We have a lot of promising businesses, well known companies that are taking over the world which emanated from Africa. Things are bad here but don't only rely on what one YouTuber looking for views tells you.

22 hours ago, m76 said:

The only thing that I can pick out from everything you're trying to say was just generalising on African as a whole which is so wrong in many ways.