Register Now
Kane99

Racing games that deserve a comeback

What are some classic racing games you'd like to see a reboot of or a comeback? I mainly want to see more cruisin usa, san francisco rush, and test drive make a comeback. I heard that there is a new Test Drive in the works, so that's a solid plus in my book. I'm not too keen on the likes of Need for Speed or really fast paced racers, so it'll be nice to see a new Test Drive one of these days. 

But what are some other racing games you'd like to see make a comeback? 

I've said it elsewhere on the forum, but I would love to see some of the older Burnout games come back, especially Burnout 3. I doubt EA will do it because they want the world to believe the bullshit that Started with Burnout Paradise is what these types of games are supposed to be like.

There is this racing game I played back in the early 2000 called total immersion racing by feral interactive available on Xbox and PlayStation then. After the first release the game just died out and there wasn't any other game from this franchise , I would love to see a comeback of this game , I enjoyed it's GT, GTS and pro classes of cars and there were both imaginary and real world tracks in the game.

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

I've said it elsewhere on the forum, but I would love to see some of the older Burnout games come back, especially Burnout 3. I doubt EA will do it because they want the world to believe the bullshit that Started with Burnout Paradise is what these types of games are supposed to be like.

I sadly never played much of the Burnout series, but I heard they were top of the line back when they came out. Surprised they haven't done much with the series in years, but that's EA for ya. At least Skate is making a comeback, so maybe Burnout will follow. 

4 hours ago, Clasher said:

There is this racing game I played back in the early 2000 called total immersion racing by feral interactive available on Xbox and PlayStation then. After the first release the game just died out and there wasn't any other game from this franchise , I would love to see a comeback of this game , I enjoyed it's GT, GTS and pro classes of cars and there were both imaginary and real world tracks in the game.

Name rings a bell, but I can't recall ever playing it. After looking it up though, I think a friend of mine had a copy of the game on the PS, and I remember playing it with a friend for a short period of time before I had to go home. That was my only experience with it. 

7 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Name rings a bell, but I can't recall ever playing it. After looking it up though, I think a friend of mine had a copy of the game on the PS, and I remember playing it with a friend for a short period of time before I had to go home. That was my only experience with it. 

I played it around 2003 to 04 on my PS 2 but after a while I got engrossed in other games and didn't play much of it anymore, it was a really interesting racing game with both single player and multiplayer features I always played it with my friends most of the time.

My pick is twisted metal. Does anybody remember that movie that came out some time ago Death race? Specifically the remake with Jason Statham, I was very young back then and I was under the impresion that the movie was based of twisted metal, I didnt knew anything about the original movie.

But with that in mind it will be cool if we get a twisted metal game with the premise of the movie, a post apocalyptic world , a prision based tourment, and power ups on the track like on Mario Kart but of course with all the gore and destruccion of twisted metal

Several series i'd like to see making a comeback :

Driver -> Obvious choice i think, using the map of the crew 2 for a driver game would be an awesome idea with the shift mechanic where you can shift from the west coast to the east coast in a matter of seconds. Include several playable characters and you have a winner on your hands.

Project Gotham series -> Doubt we will see a sequel since it's all about forza these days but i always thought the first two games were one of the best racing games on the og xbox. 

Micro Machines -> Because why not, make it open world and have some fun around the kitchen, in the garden,etc. 

Shutokou Battle series/tokyo xtreme racing series -> Probably the main racing series i'd like to see making a comeback. Tuning and racing Jdm legends over tokyo highways it never get's old.

F-zero series -> come one nintendo why are you torturing us all this time, just make a damn new F-zero or remake the gamecube one i'd be happy with that too, it's like asking too much now has it. 

Motorstorm -> Sony should just bring the series back, the second game is one of the best ps3 exclusives out there

Some others i'd like to see make a comeback one way or the other are Ridge racer, Midnight club ,Sega rally and Sega Gt. 

I'd be super stoked if atleast one of the above mentioned series would be blown new life into.

Edited by Yaramaki

On 7/6/2022 at 9:20 AM, Shagger said:

I was just about to mention Burnout. I was never crazy about Burnout Paradise. But I loved 3 and I still play Burnout Legends on my PSP. I've never been huge into sim racing, but I will try to cause four car pile ups on the way to the finish line all. day. long.

I don't play many racing games.  The only racing game I play is the games from the Mario Kart series and they've produced many of those games so it wouldn't be considered a "comeback" really if they did another game.  They've produced at least one game for each console that Nintendo has put out. 

21 hours ago, kingpotato said:

My pick is twisted metal. Does anybody remember that movie that came out some time ago Death race? Specifically the remake with Jason Statham, I was very young back then and I was under the impresion that the movie was based of twisted metal, I didnt knew anything about the original movie.

But with that in mind it will be cool if we get a twisted metal game with the premise of the movie, a post apocalyptic world , a prision based tourment, and power ups on the track like on Mario Kart but of course with all the gore and destruccion of twisted metal

Yeah Twisted Metal seems like it should have gotten a reboot/remake by now. It's been a long time coming. I mean, it looks like we're getting a TV show before an actual new game. I would've thought we'd get a new game in the series for the first time in forever, but it looks like they have to make a show instead. 

I remember Death Race. And yeah, it's partly what inspired Twisted Metal I imagine. It would make perfect sense. 

2 hours ago, Techno said:

Blur, I've never played it but I can tell that it's a fun game. A combat filled racing game is something I've been wanting and Blur looks like it's exactly what I wanted.

Blur was another I remember hearing about, but I never bothered to check it out. From what I remember, I think it reminded me of Burnout some, and maybe that's why I didn't check it out originally. It sounds like a ton of fun too, so I should probably check it out finally. 

How many games did they make in the series? Or was it just Blur and that was it? 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

How many games did they make in the series? Or was it just Blur and that was it? 

Activision only made one and they shut it down 2011ish, I think you can still play it but the online servers are dead.

Have you tried Stuntman: Ignition? It's a mission driving game where your basic goal is to do specific stunts at specific points and make it through the run, but your real goal is to chain little stunts all the way through the level.