Register Now
Techno

Favorite Studio

I'll say Obsidian Entertainment have made my favourite games, but I make the distinction between favourite studio and makers of favourite games because what qualifies to be my favourite studio on its own merits? The people? How they're treated? Their creative process? Their ability to actualise it? Their commitment to their ideals? There's so much smoke-and-mirrors in the games industry that it's difficult to say why they're my favourite studio beyond them making my favourite games.

I choose Obsidian not only because of the games they make, but because they're the first to admit to their faults. Whenever Fallout: New Vegas is criticised for being buggy, fanbois (myself included once-upon-a-time) will point to Bethesda and the deadline and the engine and the Metacritic score. Obsidian do not say this themselves. CEO Feargus Urquhart says his studio the common element to all their games being janky, but also it's something they want to work on. A dev eating humble pie in this industry is a rare sight and it's usually only after overwhelming public disgrace.

I'd say Insomniac through nearly all of its lifespan is my favourite studio based on the above criteria because of how they've had constant hits with their ideas, even if they had the miss of FUSE (which would've been Overstrike had it not been focus grouped to death), and keeping their independence up until they knew it was time to be safely acquired. It's considered one of the best places to work in America, according to the Society for Human Resource Management. Can't say I hear that every day.

I would like the starters of these threads to kick things off by giving their own examples to promote discussion. That goes for all, so I'm not just picking on you, Techno.

1 hour ago, Withywarlock said:

I would like the starters of these threads to kick things off by giving their own examples to promote discussion. That goes for all, so I'm not just picking on you, Techno.

Yeah that's fair, I just was trying to think and was curious as too what other people opinions were.

For me it's Double Fine, I've played quite a few games of theirs and every one I've enjoyed. Stuff like Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Day Of The Tectacle, and Psychonauts 2 have fantastic stories and characters. And while most of those games have so-so gameplay they're just so well thought out.

My close second would be ID software. Doom is a personal favorite series of mine and even Quake was quite fun. They just do well with FPS games in general.

I would have to go with Nintendo and Bethesda game studios. There are so many other good video games studios out there but these two companies have been my favourite based on their game franchise over the years. With Nintendo and their Legend of Zelda games and Bethesda with their games like Fallout 3, Skyrim and Oblivion. 

None, I stay with the ones making beautiful games. Even if Milestone SRL makes beautiful racing games for me, I'm not going to choose them ahead of others, because others are trying too to make good games. I play lots of racing games not just from 'mileston, but from 'Polyphony Digital, 'Codemasters studios etc. 

This is a tough one to answer considering a lot of my favourite studios have been closed down like taito, hudson soft and data east just to name a few.

But one studio that is alive and kicking hands down my favourite would be Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio. Yakuza is one of my favourite series of all time and it's amazing how they keep it fresh after all these years, with amazing stories that put many a movie to shame and let's be honest some of the most funny, ridiculous side content you will not find in any videogame, i know kamarocho has been re-used over and over but it's never boring roaming the same streets beating up dudes, playing some sega arcade classics in between, etc. On top of that you probably have the most likeable bad ass character named Kazuma Kiryu as protagonist.

With the judgment and lost judgment spin off they started including more mature themes like bullying and dementia to name a few subjects. How can i forget about the yakuza like a dragon where they overhauled the complete formula and turned it into a full blown turn based rpg and you know they managed to get away with it.

Did you know they also made the best Fist of the north star game called lost paradise? 

Edited by Yaramaki

I don't know much about game studios, so I can only base it on games I've played. And when you eliminate those with workplace controversies, that doesn't leave too many left that I know of. I would have to go with Bloober Team. They have a niche in psychological horror and are showing a lot of future potential as a larger studio. But that's if they spread out of the horror genre to reach more of the masses. And it's always a gamble when drifting from your niche. I like them right where they are as an independent studio making top notch games. Maybe with more resources they will become the unholy grail of psychological horror. 

22 hours ago, Clasher said:

Bethesda game studios, rock Star studios and naughty dog because of the game the last of us.

Rockstar with their GTA game's series will always make them stand out. It's very difficult to overlook what they have done with that game and I'm eagerly awaiting when they are going to announce the release of GTA 6. 

56 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Rockstar with their GTA game's series will always make them stand out. It's very difficult to overlook what they have done with that game and I'm eagerly awaiting when they are going to announce the release of GTA 6. 

I like some of the studios In that list not because they are known for releasing cool games always, some are there because of a single game they made that really caught my interest just like rockstar studios with the GTA series.

The kind of video games I could play and enjoy is broad, but there have only been a few game that have stood the test of time and still gives me that really good feeling anytime I play them. 

2 hours ago, Clasher said:

I like some of the studios In that list not because they are known for releasing cool games always, some are there because of a single game they made that really caught my interest just like rockstar studios with the GTA series.

The kind of video games I could play and enjoy is broad, but there have only been a few game that have stood the test of time and still gives me that really good feeling anytime I play them. 

Yeah, it's just like Naughty Dog with their The Last Of Us Part I & II. It's an interesting and incredible video game that I'm not sure if I would ever grow tired of playing. It's just like Red Dead Redemption 2 of Rockstar. It's an amazing game. 

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, it's just like Naughty Dog with their The Last Of Us Part I & II. It's an interesting and incredible video game that I'm not sure if I would ever grow tired of playing. It's just like Red Dead Redemption 2 of Rockstar. It's an amazing game. 

Though Ubisoft still has its flaws , but they are still among my favourite studios because of the video game far cry 6 and Assassin's Creed IV black flag.

Hopping on the Bethesda train. The only thing I don't like about their games is that you out-level the game too quickly. They make these fantastic, gigantic, detailed, free-roam worlds that can be played for hundreds of hours but you have the best gear and can one shot 90% of enemies when you're just a couple of dozen hours into the game. Aside from that I absolutely adore the worlds they create.

2 hours ago, Empire said:

Hopping on the Bethesda train. The only thing I don't like about their games is that you out-level the game too quickly. They make these fantastic, gigantic, detailed, free-roam worlds that can be played for hundreds of hours but you have the best gear and can one shot 90% of enemies when you're just a couple of dozen hours into the game. Aside from that I absolutely adore the worlds they create.

I know I haven't played much of Bathesda studio games, but to be frank, they got loads of popular and sweet kind of games. I've played about 3-4 of them namely: 

* Fallout 76 (2018) 

* Fallout 4 (2015) 

* Fallout New Vegas (2010) 

* Rage II. 

This are few options of games made by Bathesda I've played so far, I'm looking up to the upcoming one 'Ghostwire Tokyo. 

Assume I'm not a racing game lover, I would have made Bathesda studio my best so far, I really love what I saw with their fallout series games.