Register Now
The Blackangel

Top 10 Hated Video Game Companies Fans Used To Love

7 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I have an immediate problem with number 5. When did anybody love EA? I remember then releasing broken shit, dodgy expansions and closing down studious 20 years ago.

Apparently they were a big deal in the 80’s and 90’s, and it was considered a big mistake that Sega pissed them off so much that EA refused to support the Dreamcast, which was one of the downfalls of the console.

17 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I have an immediate problem with number 5. When did anybody love EA? I remember then releasing broken shit, dodgy expansions and closing down studious 20 years ago.

Yeah I don't remember a time where people liked EA, or respected them. Maybe the start of the company, but that was so long ago, at this point it doesn't even matter, especially with their long history of dumb mistakes. 

Activision Blizzard at #1 made total sense these days. But EA shouldn't even be on the list. They should be #1 on the most hated gaming company. 

Pretty much the usual suspects, i probably woulden't have put ubisoft so high on the list and maybe leave out cd project red and replace them with rockstar but that is just me. Maybe 2k games should have been included aswell.

You know let's play the advocate of the devil and say i loved Ea when i was a kid up until maybe the launch of ps4/xbox one that is were they lost it completly imo. A lot of their early games on the sega megadrive/genesis made me the gamer i am today, when you saw that electronic arts logo on a box you knew you were getting quality their box art and cartidges were also different then regulair mega drive carts so that may have been a reason too. Many of their early sega games i still have found memories of, the road rash series, the strike series, james pond trilogy, populous, lotus games and theme park just to name a few. They were also one of the first big publishers to start releasing console games aimed towards a more older audience, maybe this is a bold statement but if it wasen't for ea the sega genesis/megadrive would have never been close saleswise to the super nintendo.

If we speak from a business standpoint, you gotta give it to Ea that they pretty much have a monopoly on sports games these days. While that isen't a good thing by any means it's a bloody brilliant move business wise. Take their recent example of taking over Codemasters, with aquiring them they pretty much have a monopoly on third party racing games, i've read somewhere they also aquired the Wrc license along the way so they are going to be pretty the only company putting out rally games over the next few years. Sucks but what are you going to do about it. 

Is Ea to blame  for this yes and no, i think we should also point a finger towards greedy ass organisations like fifa, nfl, fia and nhl who want more and more money, where it is to the point it's impossible for smaller publishers to aquire the license. I think as fans of a certain sport it sucks that their are no other options avaible anymore and when you pretty much have a monopoly on a sport or genre, a company tends to get lazy because again what alternative do you have none, and those suckers are going to buy it anyway.

I think an even better example that is not from ea are the wwe games by 2k, in the past you knew they were good wrestling titles but now i see them getting worse and worse each year. You do have a great alternative by getting Fire pro wrestling imo the best wrestling game ever made but sadly that game is too niche to even make a stand against a wwe game.

Don't get me wrong i don't hate or like Ea, i rather see them as the company that gave me great gaming experiences when growing up rather then the company they have turned into these days. Aslong as people keep buying their yearly shit i'm afraid not much is going to change, sure they get a lot of shit for their practices but in the end all they care about how much profit have we made and you know can't blame them for it because that is the main objective of any company -> making a profit. 

Yeah sorry kind off went overboard a bit, there is more i want or should add but i don't want to waste anybody their time even more.

If EA was never on that list then it would have been one wonky half cooked list because the shit EA have been doing in the gaming industry for years and keep getting away with it is unheard-of. Most especially with what they have been doing with their FIFA games, I don't have words to express it. 

Edited by Heatman

On 7/6/2022 at 7:14 PM, Grungie said:

Apparently they were a big deal in the 80’s and 90’s, and it was considered a big mistake that Sega pissed them off so much that EA refused to support the Dreamcast, which was one of the downfalls of the console.

They did release some popular titles back in the 80's, such as Skate Or Die. But they also BOMBED on a lot of games like Shaq Fu. And they do definitely seem to have a monopoly on sports games. So 30 years ago they were a decent company. I enjoyed a few of their games back then.

Today however....

Well let's just say I hope to see them forced to file for bankruptcy and have to sell off all their licenses and game franchises.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:19 AM, Yaramaki said:

Pretty much the usual suspects, i probably woulden't have put ubisoft so high on the list and maybe leave out cd project red and replace them with rockstar but that is just me. Maybe 2k games should have been included aswell.

You know let's play the advocate of the devil and say i loved Ea when i was a kid up until maybe the launch of ps4/xbox one that is were they lost it completly imo. A lot of their early games on the sega megadrive/genesis made me the gamer i am today, when you saw that electronic arts logo on a box you knew you were getting quality their box art and cartidges were also different then regulair mega drive carts so that may have been a reason too. Many of their early sega games i still have found memories of, the road rash series, the strike series, james pond trilogy, populous, lotus games and theme park just to name a few. They were also one of the first big publishers to start releasing console games aimed towards a more older audience, maybe this is a bold statement but if it wasen't for ea the sega genesis/megadrive would have never been close saleswise to the super nintendo.

If we speak from a business standpoint, you gotta give it to Ea that they pretty much have a monopoly on sports games these days. While that isen't a good thing by any means it's a bloody brilliant move business wise. Take their recent example of taking over Codemasters, with aquiring them they pretty much have a monopoly on third party racing games, i've read somewhere they also aquired the Wrc license along the way so they are going to be pretty the only company putting out rally games over the next few years. Sucks but what are you going to do about it. 

Is Ea to blame  for this yes and no, i think we should also point a finger towards greedy ass organisations like fifa, nfl, fia and nhl who want more and more money, where it is to the point it's impossible for smaller publishers to aquire the license. I think as fans of a certain sport it sucks that their are no other options avaible anymore and when you pretty much have a monopoly on a sport or genre, a company tends to get lazy because again what alternative do you have none, and those suckers are going to buy it anyway.

I think an even better example that is not from ea are the wwe games by 2k, in the past you knew they were good wrestling titles but now i see them getting worse and worse each year. You do have a great alternative by getting Fire pro wrestling imo the best wrestling game ever made but sadly that game is too niche to even make a stand against a wwe game.

Don't get me wrong i don't hate or like Ea, i rather see them as the company that gave me great gaming experiences when growing up rather then the company they have turned into these days. Aslong as people keep buying their yearly shit i'm afraid not much is going to change, sure they get a lot of shit for their practices but in the end all they care about how much profit have we made and you know can't blame them for it because that is the main objective of any company -> making a profit. 

Yeah sorry kind off went overboard a bit, there is more i want or should add but i don't want to waste anybody their time even more.

I second 2K games, they've kinda fallen off in recent years, especially their shady practices with their MyTeam modes or whatever they are. Or the microtransactions and all that nonsense. They're pretty much like EA 2.0 in that regard. Hell even WWE 2K22 has MyFaction and I think that has microtransactions and other nonsense. I haven't touched the mode yet though. 

And yeah, I will forever hate EA for getting the NFL license for like 20 damn years. I miss me some of that NFL 2K, but of course, 2K would probably ruin it somehow. 

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

They did release some popular titles back in the 80's, such as Skate Or Die. But they also BOMBED on a lot of games like Shaq Fu. And they do definitely seem to have a monopoly on sports games. So 30 years ago they were a decent company. I enjoyed a few of their games back then.

Today however....

Well let's just say I hope to see them forced to file for bankruptcy and have to sell off all their licenses and game franchises.

Yeah, to my knowledge EA had a good start. But I think after a while they started to get too greedy. I don't know what changed, maybe it was the ownership, or the people in charge, but they really destroyed their image. I don't think they can ever rebound. 

On 7/8/2022 at 7:27 PM, Clasher said:

A well deserved name on that list is EA , the had a really good run in the early twenties but now they are a huge flop just like 2k games.

And their are still users who admire EA. That's not true, then why is EA recording over 100 million sales for each FIFA releases? 

5 hours ago, Justin11 said:

And their are still users who admire EA. That's not true, then why is EA recording over 100 million sales for each FIFA releases? 

That's is true, there are still people who will gladly purchase their maddens or battlefield games. But they also own a ton of indie studios and games. 

To be fair, they have gotten better when it comes to their indie titles. And for the most part, they seem to let there indie crews do their own thing. 

But their AAA titles are lacking these days and needs a fixing as soon as possible. Recent battlefield was a failure and I think fans are starting to drop out of that franchise because of the neglect. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

That's is true, there are still people who will gladly purchase their maddens or battlefield games. But they also own a ton of indie studios and games. 

To be fair, they have gotten better when it comes to their indie titles. And for the most part, they seem to let there indie crews do their own thing. 

But their AAA titles are lacking these days and needs a fixing as soon as possible. Recent battlefield was a failure and I think fans are starting to drop out of that franchise because of the neglect. 

Perfectly analysed. EA got it wrong with their Battlefield development especially the 2042 version. I never really paid attention to their indie games, I think they should make adjustments to their AAA games, so it will stay off bugs. 

Game companies need to understand: the days when they can stay secretive are over. Mistreatment of employees and crunching game makers (only to lay them off after a game's release so the upper echelon can keep all the profits) won't fly with players anymore. We know and see all of it now.

7 hours ago, Empire said:

Game companies need to understand: the days when they can stay secretive are over. Mistreatment of employees and crunching game makers (only to lay them off after a game's release so the upper echelon can keep all the profits) won't fly with players anymore. We know and see all of it now.

Take a look at what happened to Activision Blizzard. If it was some years ago, everything would have been swept under the rug but not this time. They had to pay the price. Even after selling the company to Microsoft, they are still answering for their crimes. 

Also, I think cd projekt red got a lot of hate as of late because of the issues with cyberpunk. Sounds like they're trying to make things right by fixing things and releasing dlc. But I think there is still some dislike on them that they will have to fix. A great game that's mostly big free would be a good start.