Register Now
JennyorAlice

Hogwarts Legacy

Many people who pre-ordered the deluxe edition ended up getting it 3 days early on the 7th. I have watched a few people playing it but haven't watched it for long as I do not want the game spoiled. I am hoping to get it myself soon when I can afford it and I am super excited t play it. So far many people are happy with the game so that is always a good sign.

It seems to be getting decent reviews and people are really happy with it. I know some fans are against it because of J.K. Rowling and her transphobic talk as of late, but I don't think she has anything to do with the game or any other Harry Potter projects out there. I think they're officially owned by some studio, whoever made them, WB? I forget. 

From what I am seeing though, it looks like it's a lot of fun. But I don't know if it's really for me. 

It does seem to be getting a lot of positive reviews. I am at the moment avoiding anyone playing it as I don't want to have it spoiled for me ready for when I end up finally getting to play it myself.

I agree, some fans are against it because of what J.K. Rowling has said but I really do not think that the game developers should suffer because of something that was said. Many are still playing the game regardless and I have heard that even friendships have been broken due to people playing the game which I think is a little too far fetched. 

17 minutes ago, Kyng said:

Well, I just bought the game... but it's taking 5 hours to download. Looks like I'm not gonna get to play it tonight!

I'll let you guys know what I think of the game once I get to play it 🙂

Is it quite a big game? I hadn't noticed from others when they were installing it as to how big it was but with how much exploring many people tend to do it does seem that it would be quite a large game indeed. Hopefully you do get to play it soon 🙂 I have heard it's a really good game. 

I was into the franchise as a kid, but like so many others I just fizzled out. I stopped with the series around the 4th book and movie, and have no real super attachment to the franchise much nowadays. I will admit I joined a ton of forums related to it as a kid, and even RP'd on HP forums way back in the day. If you guys want a series similar, there is a series called The Scholomance. You can find out more here 

https://www.goodreads.com/series/282152-the-scholomance

My mother did buy me every single book regardless, and think they are still somewhere in my house. 

I've been seeing a lot of streams on tiktok of the game. Looks to be blowing up in popularity right now. Though it seems mixed with fans in love with it and some against it because of J.K. Rowling. 

Either way, looks like it's blowing up on most streaming sites. How long that will last, who knows, but it seems to be popular right now. 

6 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Either way, looks like it's blowing up on most streaming sites. How long that will last, who knows, but it seems to be popular right now. 

As with most games I honestly think it would only be popular for a few weeks to a month. I feel like the drama and such will also blow over by then and everyone will move on with their lives. 

On 1/30/2023 at 11:51 PM, killamch89 said:

If it's good, I might give it a look but as it stands, it's still an EA game so I think I'll wait until the game drops fully and the reviews are out before I make any decisions.

It's not an EA game, IDK where that came  from?!

I've played the game for about 16 hours now, and even though I never seen any of the movies, or read any of the books, I think it is an excellent game.

The attention to detail in this game is insane, every nook and cranny is filled with interactive stuff, sometimes I just stop and look at the amount of detail put into various locations. In Hogwarts Every statue and painting literally lives a life of its own. It is truly magical, figuratively and literally. Last time I played I just sat in the main menu for a while watching my character's expressions interacting with the environment. The animations in the game are top notch. I still can't believe a studio who never did anything on this scale was able to put this together and in such high quality. Every major hub is bustling with NPCs, many of whom are also questgivers, and most of them feel real, unlike the interactive hotspot role of NPCs in other games.

Of course no game is perfect, but the few negatives I found so far are far far outweighed by everything else. I don't think it is too early to call it that this  will be GOTY.

20230209154207_1.thumb.jpg.08c44ea5b2f1e7ef3648e041ef5cae29.jpg

20230211193324_1.thumb.jpg.a972ed41afd106db0706d6d885d7cd0a.jpg

6 hours ago, m76 said:

It's not an EA game, IDK where that came  from?!

I've played the game for about 16 hours now, and even though I never seen any of the movies, or read any of the books, I think it is an excellent game.

The attention to detail in this game is insane, every nook and cranny is filled with interactive stuff, sometimes I just stop and look at the amount of detail put into various locations. In Hogwarts Every statue and painting literally lives a life of its own. It is truly magical, figuratively and literally. Last time I played I just sat in the main menu for a while watching my character's expressions interacting with the environment. The animations in the game are top notch. I still can't believe a studio who never did anything on this scale was able to put this together and in such high quality. Every major hub is bustling with NPCs, many of whom are also questgivers, and most of them feel real, unlike the interactive hotspot role of NPCs in other games.

Of course no game is perfect, but the few negatives I found so far are far far outweighed by everything else. I don't think it is too early to call it that this  will be GOTY.

20230209154207_1.thumb.jpg.08c44ea5b2f1e7ef3648e041ef5cae29.jpg

20230211193324_1.thumb.jpg.a972ed41afd106db0706d6d885d7cd0a.jpg

I agree, definitely not an EA game and from the reviews I have heard it seems like it is an absolutely amazing game and I am gutted I am unable to play it at the moment. 

I do feel though even though it is early days that this is very much going to be Game of The Year and I will be very shocked if it doesn't get that. This game is loved by many even those who are not huge Harry Potter fans. My eldest son isn't a Harry Potter fan himself and he even wants to play it.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the quality of the game. I'll never buy it because I can't support that horrible, transphobic vulture J.K. Rowling. And before anyone says it, no, buying this game does not support the developers. They've been paid through thier salaries and will see nothing extra if the games sells well. Only the the shareholders, the executives and Rowing herself get a cut from the game sales.

If the political views of everyone involved in a game's development had to 100% align with mine I could not buy any game. Besides you don't even know if Rowling gets a cut of the sales, are the contracts public, or what? I mean they might just gave a one time payment like CDPR to the Witcher writer and not an actual cut of the sales.

As for selling well, the game already outsold Elden Ring by 50% in the same amount of time. So the boycott clearly failed, just as the pathetic boycott of The Last of Us failed. I just want games to be games and not a political battleground.

Edited by m76

1 hour ago, m76 said:

If the political views of everyone involved in a game's development had to 100% align with mine I could not buy any game. Besides you don't even know if Rowling gets a cut of the sales, are the contracts public, or what? I mean they might just gave a one time payment like CDPR to the Witcher writer and not an actual cut of the sales.

As for selling well, the game already outsold Elden Ring by 50% in the same amount of time. So the boycott clearly failed, just as the pathetic boycott of The Last of Us failed. I just want games to be games and not a political battleground.

Actually, I do know for a fact that J.K. Rowling get paid royalties from this game. An article from Escapist with more details.

Onto the politics, and first off please don't refer to that bitch's prejudice as "politics". A budget for healthcare, interest rates, deciding what the appropriate punishment for drink drivers should be, that's politics. People being transgender or gay or whatever is not politics, or at least it shouldn't be. That's just people living thier lives in a way that doesn't hurt anyone. The whole "keep politics out games" thing come up from "Gamers" about the same things, usually referring to inclusion, but they wilfully ignore political undertones, and even overtones otherwise even though they come up all the time. I've said it before, good fiction always mirrors reality in order to connect with real world emotions and provoke real reactions. The social politics of fictional worlds, and not just in games, is the same. Some societies in fiction my be very progressive whereas other adhere more to tradition. Are they patriarchal, matriarchal, a dictatorship or a democracy? There's economies often described, with some societies being more capitalist and some more communist. Are there rich to poor gaps? Then thier is war and conflict and I don't I need to point out why that is a political overtone. These themes are very common themes in fiction and reflect our own world and it's history. If you don't want politics in games, don't play games, or at least not any game made since 1995.

You "keep politics out of games" rhetoric is actually very common, but for some reason, so called "gamers" only ever seem to object to politics in games whatever a character is black, gay, female or trans. Something that, like I said, shouldn't even be part of a discussion around politics in the first place. Even Harry Potter itself has themes and world elements, mostly in reference to social class, that's much closer to real and relatable politics than that. Your statement " I just want games to be games and not a political battleground", whether you know it or not, is a lie. The truth is you don't want games to to challenge your politics and remind you of your own prejudices and flaws held within what you believe. The world has to agree with you, and when it doesn't, you avoid it and insist that it's wrong, that what it's saying is not real and should be shunned.

Some people think it's wrong to support this game because of how you indirectly financially support a horrible person by doing so, whilst others are happy to support the game and judge it only on it's own merits, and I can understand either perspective. All I've said it that I can't support this game knowing that some of that money, even just a tiny little bit of it, will fall into that bitches pocket because I guarantee you she takes that she takes the success Happy Potter receives as a sign that her prejudiced, ignorant and dangerous views on LGBTQ+ people are being condoned. I'm not saying that anyone who buys this game are transphobic or homophobic by doing so, but you're not a friend to thier fight for what is basic human rights either. It may be a good game, perhaps even a great game and you have the right to enjoy the game without guilt, just don't claim to be a friend to the LGBTQ+ community if you do.