Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

What in the world happened to Boris Johnson in UK?

On 7/7/2022 at 7:15 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Boris resigns along with a bunch of other people due to scandals? I din't know that was going on. Corrupt right wingers. 

British politics is not the binary two party system that's in America.  There are multiple political parties which different ideologies that sit in different places scale of left and right.  Boris Johnson is outgoing leader of the... I'd say middle (not extreme) right Conservative Party, but most of the scandals and controversies around his tenure have had very little to do with his politics.  If we kept every other factor the same but instead Boris Johnson was the leader of the rival left wing Labor Party it wouldn't have made any difference.  So for your sake please don't embarrass yourself by turning this into a "right wing" conspiracy because it really isn't.

It's been a long line of I'd say relatively minor scandals, at least when compared to America.  There's two that are significant.  The first was "Partygate" when he and his ministers were hosting parties and other social gatherings during the pandemic when everyone else was in lockdown.  This lead to confidence vote in June which Boris Johnson just barely survived.

Then there's the latest one with the (now former of course) Chief Deputy Whip Chris Pincher.  Before Pincher was appointed by Boris Johnson to this position he had been accused of sexual misconduct.  I should state for the record I don't know if he was guilty but it doesn't matter.  The issue that has now forced Johnson and the majority of his cabinet to resign is that when accusations where recently published in the tabloids Boris Johnson claimed that he didn't know about them, then a letter leaked out that proved that he did.  He reportedly even made a joke about it once saying "Pincher by name, pincher by nature!".

Personally I kinda liked Boris, even though I don't agree with his most of his politics.  He's certainly a character, witty and charismatic.  I thought "Partygate" was kinda petty and blown out of be proportion.  I agree that he and his ministers should have been following the rules instead of chucking back pints in Number 10 but I know lots of people that didn't especially at Christmas and New Year.  The latest one with Chris Pincher does bother me more, that's him just streight up lying to our faces and that's not acceptable.

9 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I wouldn't say much, until I get the facts about what really caused the resignation with his cabinet members. It is quite surprised to see a prime minister resigning from such a commanding position. 

If you wouldn't say much, then why the hell did you make a post to say so? This post adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. In fact, it detracts the conversation.

You are continually making posts that say nothing and damage the conversation at hand, because then we have to step into the situation. Either quit making pointless posts like this one, or simply don't post. There is no competition here to see who can make the most posts. There are a good amount of members here who joined long after I did, yet they have made more posts than me, and I would say 95%-98% of them were well thought out. I don't care that they post more than I do. If I don't have something of value to add to a conversation, I don't post. You would do well to use the same logic. As I said, it's not a race or competition of any kind.

And I know that @Shagger is sick of you doing this as well, as he has given you countless warnings. I see that in 10,336 posts you have acquired 340 points. That was done within the last few days. Have you ever thought about WHY?

So consider this a FIRM warning.

10 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I wouldn't say much, until I get the facts about what really caused the resignation with his cabinet members. It is quite surprised to see a prime minister resigning from such a commanding position. 

I second this @Justin11. It's OK that you don't have a full scope of the situation with regard to the resignation of the British Prime Minister Boris Johnson. It is even OK to not really care either, but if wish to contribute to conversation at hand, actually have something to say. For the second time in about 12 hours, I'm telling you if you have nothing to say, say nothing! If you insist on contributing to the conversation, do a little research to develop at at least some understanding of what's going so you can formulate an opinion and then, and I mean ONLY then, express it. If putting that bare minimum effort of is not worth it to you, then why would a post where you couldn't be bothered to make that bare minimum of effort be worth it to us?

On 7/7/2022 at 7:15 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Boris resigns along with a bunch of other people due to scandals? I din't know that was going on. Corrupt right wingers. 

And frankly @Reality vs Adventure, I could say the same thing to you. Especially as the author of the thread, I would expect a lot better than this. No article, not so much as a basic description of what happened nor even a detailed opinion. Sadly, I've come to expect such a half-arsed effort from @Justin11, but this is really disappointing coming from you. @Crazycrab has already done your job for you and went through the basics about what happened and his effort is only reason I'm keeping this thread open. I may have deleted the thread entirely if it wasn't for him.

I'll add here an article from what something I would consider a neutral news source to provide some more details. From Sky News

My two cents? It was time for him to go. There had been two many missteps with things like party-gate, controversial policies set forth by his administration and what I would describe at best as a slow response to the cost of living crisis. He was not the PM and his was not the government we needed anymore. I don't have anything against the guy, but I don't think history is going to regard him that fondly.

Edited by Shagger

I didn't voice an opinion about Boris Johnson because what is there really to say? When he became PM every rational person was like, oh shit. The underlying issues were there and you can't ignore things that leaders say which defines their integrity. Johnson has a history of sexism, homophobia, and racism. That is the trend for conservatives. They flat out tell you they are bigots and people always want to ignore it. 

Here are some of the things he has said over the years. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-record-sexist-homophobic-and-racist-comments-bumboys-piccaninnies-2019-6

Of course his supporters can say everything was taken out of context. But at what point do you say, hey that is a repetitive pattern there. And I remember at one point he sounded like he was reiterating trump propaganda about blacks. So I'm glad he is leaving and there is integrity in the UK as we have seen cabinet members resign who were disgusted by him. And Boris himself took the high road and resigned. UK's system still works unlike my own country where cowards walk in step toe to heel to completely and utterly destroy democracy here at home. But that's not a topic to bring here. I made a point how I respect them taking the high road in the UK.

But I am concerned now who will be the next PM. Is the UK on the path to continually become more extreme with the next PM? Because Theresa May resigned in 2019 as PM, which the reasons are not something I have looked into, but that gave way to Boris Johnson. So I really hope the next one will be highly capable and have solid integrity for this present day chaotic world. 

9 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I didn't voice an opinion about Boris Johnson because what is there really to say? When he became PM every rational person was like, oh shit.

You already admitted that when you first posted this topic that you had to little to no idea about what was going on about this whole situation.  Now your claiming to know what that "every rational person was like, oh shit." 3 years ago when this guy was first elected?  FUCK OFF!

The underlying issues were there and you can't ignore things that leaders say which defines their integrity. Johnson has a history of sexism, homophobia, and racism. That is the trend for conservatives. They flat out tell you they are bigots and people always want to ignore it. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-record-sexist-homophobic-and-racist-comments-bumboys-piccaninnies-2019-6

Of course his supporters can say everything was taken out of context. But at what point do you say, hey that is a repetitive pattern there. And I remember at one point he sounded like he was reiterating trump propaganda about blacks. So I'm glad he is leaving and there is integrity in the UK as we have seen cabinet members resign who were disgusted by him. And Boris himself took the high road and resigned. UK's system still works unlike my own country where cowards walk in step toe to heel to completely and utterly destroy democracy here at home. But that's not a topic to bring here. I made a point how I respect them taking the high road in the UK.

You don't know what you're talking about, yet your claiming to what "every rational person" felt a continent away 3 years ago when I suspect you probably didn't even know who this guy was until a few days ago just before announced his resignation.  Then of course you googled exactly what you wanted to find which was some examples of him being "Republican" and of course found it.  I could do same thing by googling "Joe Biden Homophobic", and guess what I found!

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/06/30/joe-biden-gay-waiter-comment-draws-criticism-seattle/1612588001/

It was comments made years ago, it's not in context whatsoever, and I'm obviously ignoring a bunch of other results that are contradictory to it but fuck it!  It still proves that Biden is homophobic, right?

But I am concerned now who will be the next PM. Is the UK on the path to continually become more extreme with the next PM? Because Theresa May resigned in 2019 as PM, which the reasons are not something I have looked into, but that gave way to Boris Johnson.

Yet you claim to know that "every rational person was like, oh shit."  despite having no fucking idea why Theresa resigned or why Boris Johnson was chosen to replace her.  Just to let you know I'm not going to do your homework for you this time, if you really wanna know look it up yourself.

So I really hope the next one will be highly capable and have solid integrity for this present day chaotic world. 

I hope so to, unfortunately the one thing that US and UK politics have in common is excessive bickering.  We'll wait and see.

Edited by Crazycrab

14 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I didn't voice an opinion about Boris Johnson because what is there really to say? When he became PM every rational person was like, oh shit. The underlying issues were there and you can't ignore things that leaders say which defines their integrity. Johnson has a history of sexism, homophobia, and racism. That is the trend for conservatives. They flat out tell you they are bigots and people always want to ignore it. 

But I am concerned now who will be the next PM. Is the UK on the path to continually become more extreme with the next PM? Because Theresa May resigned in 2019 as PM, which the reasons are not something I have looked into, but that gave way to Boris Johnson. So I really hope the next one will be highly capable and have solid integrity for this present day chaotic world. 

The only thing you have proven here is that you indeed could have made an opening post to this thread thread that was worth a damn, but choose not to.

It's fairly extraordinary, but not exactly unprecedented. The odd thing here is how long he has hung in for in spite of the writing being on the wall for him for at least the last year.

British Prime Ministers are frequently forced from office before the end of their term. Thatcher, Cameron and May all left under similar circumstances. Blair essentially retired part way through his last term.

And that's just in the last 30 years or so. In fact, leaving office in a general election is the exception rather than the norm.

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

The only thing you have proven here is that you indeed could have made an opening post to this thread thread that was worth a damn, but choose not to.

I honestly couldn't find anything in a couple of news articles that gave any real insight to why he was resigning. Does that mean I can't post something with a question? Does that mean that for every post, there should be an explanation instead of just a video? Or should every post be more than one sentence? Based on this standard, my post in Stoicism vs cynicism recently should be removed or criticized. This topic has largely fell under the radar for some reason in the news. So when I came across it I decided to post a question. So when I do actually put a lot of thought into something, nobody really responds. There are far too many topics that are posted with just a question even currently, w/o their own input or opinions. This standard should go for all across the board and not just me. I've actually posted a topic a year ago about all new posts should include their own opinions and not just a question and I remember being told that people can post what they want. So maybe all new posts should have a rule that they have to express their personal opinion and not just a question. 

@Reality vs Adventure

"I honestly couldn't find anything in a couple of news articles that gave any real insight to why he was resigning."
Ok first, if you only looked at a couple of articles, you're not going to find anything. You need to put more research into it.

"Does that mean I can't post something with a question?'"
Of course not. You can ask questions all day. We encourage that. It's how you learn.

"Does that mean that for every post, there should be an explanation instead of just a video?"
Preferably, yes. But often the videos explain themselves. If a person can add context to their post along with the video, that's great. I personally have posted probably dozens of videos over the years. Many were self explanatory. Many more required added context so they came across clearly and understandable.

"Or should every post be more than one sentence?"
Yes, we would love that. One line posts too often add nothing to the conversation. On a rare occurrence, a single sentence can add much to the discussion at hand. But even if that one sentence is all that's needed, it would be preferable to add more if you can.

"Based on this standard, my post in Stoicism vs cynicism recently should be removed or criticized."
If you want it removed, we can do that. If you want criticism, and it seems that you would want negative criticism just to prove your point, we can certainly do that as well.

"This topic has largely fell under the radar for some reason in the news."
That has nothing to do with it. If it "falls under the radar" as you put it, then that typically wasn't anything most people have to say. It wasn't engaging to a point that people felt like answering. Many posts go way back in the boards, simply because people didn't feel like responding to. There are probably close to 100 of topics I have posted that got one or two replies, and maybe 50 views. It's the nature of the beast.

"So when I came across it I decided to post a question. So when I do actually put a lot of thought into something, nobody really responds."
Again, it's just the natural order. I read tons of posts every time I come in here. The majority I don't respond to. Most people will read a topic and not respond. They feel at that time they have nothing to add to the conversation. Which is a great call. Don't reply until you have something to add to the discussion.

"There are far too many topics that are posted with just a question even currently, w/o their own input or opinions."
True, but sometimes a single question is all that's needed. Just less than an hour ago, I posted a question in the Mobile board asking about Diablo Immortal. I didn't really give any input other than it being a franchise I really like, and something I get advertisements on my phone a lot. But I asked many questions about it, since I don't know anything about it. Asking legitimate questions is what we prefer to see in posts when someone is trying to learn or get opinions.

"This standard should go for all across the board and not just me."
This is just bullshit. The standard is for EVERYONE. We're not persecuting you with requirements and standards specifically aimed at you. This is a whiny "woe is me" comment. You're playing the victim here, and that's not something ANYONE wants to have to read.

"I've actually posted a topic a year ago about all new posts should include their own opinions and not just a question and I remember being told that people can post what they want."
People can post what they want. And the vast majority of posts actually DO contain opinions and/or questions. So I don't get what you are wanting here.

"So maybe all new posts should have a rule that they have to express their personal opinion and not just a question."
Why? If I post a YouTube video do I have to write up a review of it first? No. From what I've seen virtually every post on this forum as a whole, is either a question or opinion. If you can point me in the direction of a post that's not, I'll definitely look into it.

All that said, complaining in the way you did was exhausting to respond to as there are so many points that needed individual responses to. I hope this is enough to answer all your grievances. If it doesn't you can always review the Rules & Guidelines.

Since politics has been a fucking grease fire here in the Usa,I havn't paid much attention to UK politics. Boris seems more like a dipshit than someone who is malicious.I don't know of any of his policies .As for his homophobic etc comments, I don't know how often he says that shit but we've all said something stupid before and learned from it hopefully. If I was a voter I would be curious of how the candidate looks at race and other things.And there is a difference between saying one dumb/racist thing every 30 years and consistently degrading gays or minorities,etc. I am NOT implying Boris is a raging racist as I don't care enough about UK politics to explore it. It's hard to look into someone's heart.

I normaly don't post into these sections as politcs is not really something i wish to discuss online but i do have a question for people who live into the Uk now with Boris Johnson gone, What would be the odds that the Uk joins the European union again or if not could a free trade agreement with europe be on the cards again when somebody else becomes prime minister? 

5 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

I normaly don't post into these sections as politcs is not really something i wish to discuss online but i do have a question for people who live into the Uk now with Boris Johnson gone, What would be the odds that the Uk joins the European union again or if not could a free trade agreement with europe be on the cards again when somebody else becomes prime minister? 

I highly doubt we'll re-join the EU, nor do I think it would necesseraly be wise either. Don't get me wrong, it was a stupid idea to leave, but renegotiating EU membership this soon after brexit would not work out well. We (the UK) are just not in a position to negotiate a good deal for ourselves. Brexit is done, we have just to live it and deal with it now.

On 7/12/2022 at 4:53 PM, Yaramaki said:

Even with a new Prime Minister, even if that PM was from a different party the UK re-joining the EU is extremely unlikely.  Setting up a new referendum would take at least a year or two.  The application itself takes from 3 years up to a decade, so even if the process started today it would be a long time before it ever came to fruition.  As previously mentioned we would also to kiss some serious ass to even be let back in.  None of this being exactly helped by Pro-Brexiters like this asshole Nigel Farage's successful efforts of making us look like complete twats:

I fuckin hate this guy!

I know that there are still trade agreements between the UK and EU but I don't really know much of the details to really comment about it.

Edited by Crazycrab