Register Now
StaceyPowers

What games are the hardest to learn/get into as a newbie?

Honestly, I'd say FPS games, or maybe anything strategy heavy like real time strategy or something similar. FPS games are tough at first, but you should be able to get used to them fairly quickly. But those RTS games, or the ones where you have to build a world and actually think, yeah those can be tough to learn as a newbie. Hell I'd say I'm still a newbie in that genre and I am awful at them. 

I like simple, and simple isn't usually tough for a newbie. 

I agree with Kane99 above. First Person Shooters would be my choice for the following reasons:

• Good reflexes are a must. Most FPS games have a low time-to-kill (TTK), meaning that it takes few rounds being pumped into your person before you go from maximum health to zero. Games such as Halo or Paladins: Champions of the realm have a higher TTK, so you can stay alive for longer whilst figuring out how your abilities work. More on that later. But yes, the sole purpose of FPS is kill-or-be-killed with different takes on that.
  • What the Hell does any of this mean? I'm talking about 'damage', 'accuracy', 'range', 'velocity', 'mobility'... what does it mean in the context of your own, your character and weapon's performance? With the amount of customisation in FPS today, it's so difficult to understand what works and doesn't work without trial and error. While these factors existed in Quake and Unreal, they didn't require customising because the game worked and nobody gave a damn about balance.

mw-gunsmith.png

• Settings. On PC you probably have the ability to turn up your field of view (FOV), and perhaps you can in consoles today. This determines how much you can see on screen, which is less than in most third person games. You'll also want to make sure you have a square minimap rather than a circular one as that displays more info. You'll also want to turn down the visual settings so you can see foes at a greater distance. Turn subtitles on. Turn motion blur off... *waffles for about fifteen more minutes*

As for Real Time Strategy:

• Experience is the best teacher. You can read tactics, strategy and meta but until you play and understand how and why things work the way they do you don't stand a chance in the rain of pigs pudding. You have to play, lose, repeat.
  • It's RTS, not RTwP. Real Time with Pause (RTwP) is most common in tactical combat games where you can pause the action and micromanage your forces. Real Time Strategy offers no such luxury. You have to do something all the time; no soldier should be still, no building not manufacturing something, no worker not gathering.

Admittedly I know a lot less about RTS than FPS, but I've dabbled and those are my experiences.

For me, it's going to be hands down all soulsbourne games. They are punishing for even old time gamers and talk more of what it's going to do to any newbie who's picked the interest to play the game.

Take for instance in the game Bloodborne, it showed me raw pepper when I started playing it and I imagined it's going to be more difficult for any gamer who tried it out. 

I would say RDR2. The first chapter is mostly a tutorial more than anything. The game really begins in Chapter II. But for a first time gamer, the controls are so elaborate that it's hard to remember what to do and how to do it. Once you get in the flow it becomes a LOT easier. One of the worst things is your satchel. you can hold 3 of any given item. It's more or less worthless in the beginning. You're pretty much forced to collect all the hides you need for the Legend Of The East satchel. Therein lies another problem. A newbie to the game won't know where the hell to go for these hides, nor will they know how to get them or what weapon to use. For example, who here can tell me where to get an iguana skin or panther skin? That's panther, not cougar. Not to mention that you have to get perfect hides. Poor and good are useless for crafting. Also where do you plan on getting the money for crafting tools? They cost $180. So unless you can find some gold bars, you're screwed.

And an unrelated thing, who can tell me where to find Fluorite and Ammolite? The Female Fertility Statue?
I highly doubt anyone here can answer those questions.

God of war 1 & 2, were the hardest for me. I tried so much to progress in those two games, I couldn't put a real fight against enemies. Out of 17 chapters in God of war 1, I could only close out on 3 of them, which was very poor, and shows how hard the game was to me. 

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I would say RDR2. The first chapter is mostly a tutorial more than anything. The game really begins in Chapter II. But for a first time gamer, the controls are so elaborate that it's hard to remember what to do and how to do it. Once you get in the flow it becomes a LOT easier. One of the worst things is your satchel. you can hold 3 of any given item. It's more or less worthless in the beginning. You're pretty much forced to collect all the hides you need for the Legend Of The East satchel. Therein lies another problem. A newbie to the game won't know where the hell to go for these hides, nor will they know how to get them or what weapon to use. For example, who here can tell me where to get an iguana skin or panther skin? That's panther, not cougar. Not to mention that you have to get perfect hides. Poor and good are useless for crafting. Also where do you plan on getting the money for crafting tools? They cost $180. So unless you can find some gold bars, you're screwed.

And an unrelated thing, who can tell me where to find Fluorite and Ammolite? The Female Fertility Statue?
I highly doubt anyone here can answer those questions.

idk, I feel you could easily beat the game without having to do that. I know I did because I know I didn't open nearly most of the satchels. This currently playthrough I'm on, I'm taking it much slower and am building Arthur's stats up. My next step is going to be fishing/hunting to make more money. 

From what I've played in the beginning, it's fairly easy imo. I've made money with ease, even without doing most of the missions so far. But, I did play it once before, so I know what I'm doing. So I can see a newbie having a little trouble. 

Fps , RTS are among the difficult genre of games and would take you more than to few game plays to be well immersed and quite good at the game.

Star craft: Blood war , medieval II: total war , call of duty and the likes took me some extra time before I could get more immersed and played more efficiently.

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

idk, I feel you could easily beat the game without having to do that. I know I did because I know I didn't open nearly most of the satchels. This currently playthrough I'm on, I'm taking it much slower and am building Arthur's stats up. My next step is going to be fishing/hunting to make more money. 

From what I've played in the beginning, it's fairly easy imo. I've made money with ease, even without doing most of the missions so far. But, I did play it once before, so I know what I'm doing. So I can see a newbie having a little trouble. 

You could definitely beat the game without doing any of it. Not getting the satchel just makes it immensely harder. And in my opinion, kinda pointless. But that's me.

With fishing and hunting, you should go for the legendary's. Not only can you craft trinkets and talismans from the parts you keep, but the trapper pays top dollar for them. Don't sell legendary hides/carcass's to anyone other than the trapper. If you do, you won't be able to get a lot of what he crafts from them. Special garments and outfits for example. Other hides you can sell to any butcher or the trapper if you so choose.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:34 PM, Justin11 said:

God of war 1 & 2, were the hardest for me. I tried so much to progress in those two games, I couldn't put a real fight against enemies. Out of 17 chapters in God of war 1, I could only close out on 3 of them, which was very poor, and shows how hard the game was to me. 

I had a little difficulty in the beginning of God of War 1 and 2 but with some time with playing the game for a while, I got super used to it. Also, I had few YouTube videos watched on the game's playthrough by others and got some tips on how to progress. 

13 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I had a little difficulty in the beginning of God of War 1 and 2 but with some time with playing the game for a while, I got super used to it. Also, I had few YouTube videos watched on the game's playthrough by others and got some tips on how to progress. 

I believe the YouTube videos you watched walked you through to know the basics and mastering the both God of war games I mentioned? YouTube is platform to source for guide, in the past I've ran to them especially when bugs tried to eat up my PES 2013 in the past, just to find a solution to the bugs. 

Suprised nobody mentioned the traditional shooter or shmup yet games ala gradius, r-type, darius and salamander just to name a few. Easy enough to get into but damn tough as nails to master since for shmup purist t's usually the goal to beat the game on one credit. Then there is the bullet hell shooter games ala radiant silvergun, radirgy, deathsmiles, dodonpachi and it's numerous releases, sometimes when i play these games i don't have a clue what is going on sometimes lol. 

I think for me personally it's going to be the real time and/or turn based strategy genre, i'm trying to get back into them but even games like civilization vi feel a little overwhelming for me, even when i finished the tutorial and started playing the game i already forgot half what i learned in said tutorial well maybe i shoulden't have taken a 2 week break from gaming. But i'm going to be stubborn and maybe go trough the tutorial again. Guess i'm more the management type of guy where i don't have to take battles in account and can just focus managing something.

If we are taking online play in account it has to be the one on one fighters, the problem here is when you jump into a certain fighting game of let's say mortal kombat 11 or even better a more niche game from arc system works. The community that is now left from that game are just people who play nothing besides fighters and are usually experts at it, so for somebody new it would be very hard to get into as you would get destroyed no matter what, well unless you put hours and hours into it to get good at the game.

on a final note since it's been mentioned in this thread, rockstar their games are designed that they can be beaten by anybody, if you fail a mission too many times you can just skip that part if you'd like and continue. It's just a lot of side activities like the sky diving in gta v that are a pain in the ass to complete. Also worth noting the frustrating controls at times like driving and shooting combined without crashing into something yeah not that easy. Shooting from a horse in rdr 2 is a lot easier then shooting from a car that goes over 100mph.

1 hour ago, Yaramaki said:

Also worth noting the frustrating controls at times like driving and shooting combined without crashing into something yeah not that easy. Shooting from a horse in rdr 2 is a lot easier then shooting from a car that goes over 100mph.

Your fingers agility, flexibility and how well you understand your controller would go a great deal to help overcome some certain levels and task in the game, especially with GTA V driving and shooting streaks , a good grip on X button, R1 would make you stable but then you still have to choose between the analog or the direction botton that your thumb could conveniently use to maneuver the vehicle you are driving.

If you've played the Microsoft flight simulator then you would understand that's controllers can be really stressful to operate at times. Lol

FPS games are fast learning games to get into. I would ahve to say flying related content in flight sims. I been into flying for six long years now for none stop, and learning to fly any type of aircraft that is high level systems 

17 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I believe the YouTube videos you watched walked you through to know the basics and mastering the both God of war games I mentioned? YouTube is platform to source for guide, in the past I've ran to them especially when bugs tried to eat up my PES 2013 in the past, just to find a solution to the bugs. 

Yeah, it's why I follow some good gaming YouTube channels because of the useful contents they always upload on their channels that helps those who are interested in using them. I have been doing that for years now, even with when I started playing Red Dead Redemption 2, I did it too and it really helped.