Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you get disoriented visiting new versions of familiar places in games?

Sometimes in games, one visits an area, then something happens that changes that area a bit (i.e. destruction), and then the game brings you back there. It is the same, yet different. I seem to find these situations more disorienting than visiting brand new locations. It is like there are two conflicting maps in my head at all times. Does anyone else experience the same?

Maybe disorienting in terms of having to remember the layout of an area to get through, but I don't think I ever felt disoriented otherwise. I kinda like when an area in game changes a lot, makes the are fresh, new and different. I like games that involve destruction as well, and if you can cause havoc to an area and it changes, it can sometimes be fun. 

I like how it's done in post-apocalyptic games, where you can change the world with a nuke or something. I think you could do that in the fallout series to some extent. 

I haven't had that kind of feeling of being disoriented as a result of how a previous location in a game that I played turned out to be. Normally, I get thrilled by it. It makes me seek for better ways to survive what's going on at the moment with the location. It kinda makes it more challenging for me and I love challenges in my games. It's what makes such games stick for me. 

I don't understand the context in which disoriented is been used in this thread, but I like to experience new places even if it's an old location looking a bit different from what I remember it to be.

Yes, on my when I don't follow the map. It occurred in GTA SA, V, when I was a complete newbie. I could just go around the city and not according to the game's mission, which brings me back to the point were I started the journey.