Register Now
StaceyPowers

What aspects of storytelling do video games do best as a medium?

I feel they tell background stories the best. Considering games like Dark Souls, which has so many stories scattered throughout the world. It sometimes gives you another story on top of the story you're already getting. I'm not too big on reading a lot in games, but some games do it well. Plus, it's just a way to tell a bigger, grander story without having to show tons of cutscenes. 

I think letting you make your own decisions that impact the story is what video games do best compared to any other medium. Books also have that choose your own path, but the difference in games is having your decisions timed so you have to think quick. Plus there are games that keep you very interactive while in a cutscene, like for example Indigo Prophecy where you have to push buttons in sequence to keep things flowing. I actually find games like that kinda fun. And if anyone hasn't played Indigo Prophecy, it's a good one. 

I think video games would be a really good way to teach history if it is utilized in that aspect, just like call of duty,WWII battles, the brothers in arms, dynasty warriors, the saboteur and the likes all of which are based on real events in human history.

8 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I feel they tell background stories the best. Considering games like Dark Souls, which has so many stories scattered throughout the world. It sometimes gives you another story on top of the story you're already getting. I'm not too big on reading a lot in games, but some games do it well. Plus, it's just a way to tell a bigger, grander story without having to show tons of cutscenes. 

Agreed, but to the extent that it's the only advantage video games have over other mediums. The thing about Dark Souls' background stories is it's mostly about interpretation, hence why most of its YouTubers are theories. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, which many Souls fans and theorycrafters can't wrap their heads around (admittedly, I'm one of those people with the Spyro the Dragon series.)

41 minutes ago, Clasher said:

I think video games would be a really good way to teach history if it is utilized in that aspect, just like call of duty,WWII battles, the brothers in arms, dynasty warriors, the saboteur and the likes all of which are based on real events in human history.

The games you've listed are very loosely based on real events, the most authenticity from them is the firearms and their sounds. The games you've referenced can certainly inspire someone to learn about history themselves, but they don't necessarily teach about it in the same way Assassin's Creed does through one of the modes introduced in Origins. Now if we were talking about Anne Frank House VR, a game that doesn't glorify war or whose sole purpose is not adrenaline-fuelled entertainment, then we're getting somewhere. Even so, I'd say TV shows like Band of Brothers and The Pacific are far better at teaching about war thanks to the commentary of the soldiers its based on.

~

Advantages games have over other mediums are usually forgotten in the attempts to be more cinematic or aping novels. Point and click adventure is one of the best genres for storytelling (the modern equivalent for the action oriented audience of today would be the Hitman or Dishonored series), but they don't sell like they used to, and I reckon that goes for a lot of genres and modes (see Electronic Arts' recent co-op offerings.)

Edited by Withywarlock

It's the revel in old ancient history and getting gamers to relive it all when playing such games like Assassin's Creed Series. There are so many history lessons been taught through the storytelling of the game which most people would've missed out on if not for playing those games.

You can't forget the history on war lessons some of war games bring very close to us by getting us involved in the war by playing through it. They don't teach you that in schools. 

10 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Advantages games have over other mediums are usually forgotten in the attempts to be more cinematic or aping novels. Point and click adventure is one of the best genres for storytelling (the modern equivalent for the action oriented audience of today would be the Hitman or Dishonored series), but they don't sell like they used to, and I reckon that goes for a lot of genres and modes (see Electronic Arts' recent co-op offerings.)

If we are considering the fact that these games like wwII was actually trying to give you an incite into what fighting the war as a soldier could feel like but doing this solely by referencing every single detail Wont do total justice to the fact that these video games were made to be entertaining and also fun to play.

I know the history in them is overridden by an attempt to be more cinematic, but which other way could this event be brought to life and people actually experience it for them selves.

Except movies actually tell a story, whereas RDR2, GoW and COD only give you an interactive environment where the story is but an ancillary factor. Something used as a pretext in order to give you the immersive action.

The action in video games typically takes you out of the story, as your priorities are usually different than the ones the story prioritizes.

Story telling is actually another good feature of certain video game.

whenplaying RPG's  there is a always a sense of direction and it feels similar to watching a movie as there is often a lot of in-game conversations that Intends to buttress the story been told and not only focus on the action aspect.

Another thing is the ability to decide the story as you go, kinda like a choose your own adventure game. I like when games give me choices in my conversation, and I like how it changes your character and relationships depending on how you respond. 

Just like what I experienced when I played the game Escape from Tarkov. The game's storytelling is so real that it's going feel like you lived through everything that happened in the game which is a typical thing that goes on in most waring time.