Register Now
StaceyPowers

Silly completionist things you did as a gaming newbie

I think I 100% percented Assassin's Creed black flag. I remember opening every chest, opening every location, and doing everything else to 100% it. I don't remember if I actually got 100% but I believe it did. It didn't give me anything though. I don't even think it gave you an achievement. 

Ok, I'm stepping in. This thread is being lost into a discussion about cheats. if that's what you want to talk about, then make another thread. This thread is about things you did as a n00b that were somewhat pointless and silly. It is not about cheat codes. If you want to continue to post in this thread, make sure it is on topic. If required we will lock this thread. I know I for one don't want to have to resort to that, but there are times when one has to do things that one would rather not do.

On 7/9/2022 at 8:25 PM, StaceyPowers said:

For instance, when I first started playing open world RPGs, I tried to loot everything. Every single item.

I had a similar experience as well and it's not being able to use my time judiciously in playing such games. It's not about playing the game 5 hours or more in a day but being able to play in a way that's efficient in your achievements in the game than just roaming around in the game's world aimlessly. 

Noticed that i haven't replied to this thread yet so here we go i woulden't call them necessary mistakes i made as a noob since i still find myself guilty of doing the same things after all these years especially in rpg's

Excessive grinding -> The first thing i always did whenever i started playing a new jrpg, grinding for a couple of hours in the first area of the game to the point where i'm 5-10 levels ahead of the enemies i need to face in the next area, Still find myself guilty of this apperently ever since booting up Dragon Quest 11 a few days ago and the first thing i started doing yep grinding lol. Making the game a breeze so far.

Looking up something before playing a certain part of a game -> Something to try to avoid as much as possible but back in the day, i would look up guides or just read them from the gaming magazine rack of what i had to do in the game or ask my parents to buy me a magazine if they were in a generous mood.

Holding on to every weapon -> Still guilty of this, but yeah pretty self explanatory this one, for example you don't need that iron sword in skyrim anymore but lets hold onto it for safekeeping or as a momento.

Wasting money on items that are pointless -> Yep you already have 50 healing potions what do you do buy a couple more just to be sure or how about that weapon that does 2 more damage then your current one, sure that's 2000 gold of the 3000 gold your have, only to find the exact same weapon in the next dungeon.

Saving after every goddamn battle ->  saving 15 times in an hour check, it wasn't something uncommon i did back in the day.

Edited by Yaramaki

3 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Looking up something before playing a certain part of a game -> Something to try to avoid as much as possible but back in the day, i would look up guides or just read them from the gaming magazine rack of what i had to do in the game or ask my parents to buy me a magazine if they were in a generous mood.

I try to avoid guides as much as possible, but when I'm on a game for the first few times, I would almost always have a guide open right beside me. I'm kind embarrassed to admit that even though I have played and beaten Zelda OoT probably more than 100 times, I still use a guide for the water temple. That temple is a massive bitch and super confusing.

3 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Saving after every goddamn battle ->  saving 15 times in an hour check, it wasn't something uncommon i did back in the day.

I do this too. Even as a seasoned gamer, after I complete something simple, I save. When I would start a new game, the first few times I played them I'm sure I would save more than 100 times in an hour. Being a newbie, I was scared to death that I would lose a certain bit of progress that I had struggled with. Maybe the power goes out for one reason or another. Now I just roll with the punches. Like everyone else, I don't like losing progress. But I'm not terrified of it like I was.

15 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Wasting money on items that are pointless -> Yep you already have 50 healing potions what do you do buy a couple more just to be sure or how about that weapon that does 2 more damage then your current one, sure that's 2000 gold of the 3000 gold your have, only to find the exact same weapon in the next dungeon.

I did this very well when I was still a newbie playing Skyrim as well and also in playing League of Legends too. Even when it's of no use, I'd still feel that not buying more would cost me on the long run in the game as I progress but I was wrong eventually. 

15 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

This is even part of the reason why I'm still more into manual savings when I'm playing any games till date but the frequency in how I used to save have been minimized. 

How about some that are not genre and maybe not entirly gaming related but if you born in the 80 ies ( or earlier )and to some extend the first half of the 90 ies, atleast one of my picks should sound familiar. Let's just consider when we were kids, we were gaming noobs and had way too much time on our hands. My apoligies to @StaceyPowers for hijacking your thread and going on a nostalgia trip. 

Reading gaming manuals over and over again -> Remember that manuals came with games, remember how many times you flipped trough manuals when you were a kid, pretty sure i read the manual of certain games atleast 50 times. Sometimes i would take these with my grandparents when my parents were working and started fantasising about the game in question. 

Changing your mind when buying a video game at the last minute -> I'll just give an example of my own i was going to get Streets of rage 3 at first, when arriving at the store i noticed they had a new power rangers game and came home with Power rangers the movie the game instead, it's also a beat em up and i never really regretted the decision because i've found memories of the game but you know, the point being as a kid your mind changes all the time.

Deleting Save files without giving it a second thought -> What do you do when you have only one memory card, since these things were quite expensive at the time, deleting saves to make room for a newer game. Crash bandicoot 3, 108% save file, yep let's delete that, 200 hours of gran turismo 2 damn got no room to save syphon filter progress, ohwell let's delete that gran turismo file. 

Getting a licensed game instead of a good game -> Pretty self explanatory this one, instead of getting a good game, no gotta have that simpsons game instead because it's the simpsons, remember them in a time they were still awesome. Sadly their games weren't.

Taking things for granted what other kids told you about videogames you haven't played yourself-> It's no suprise whenever a kid was talking about a videogame they were mostly made up stories and you believed every word they said. Afterall word on the playground was sacred.

Edited by Yaramaki

On 7/27/2022 at 12:58 PM, Yaramaki said:

Noticed that i haven't replied to this thread yet so here we go i woulden't call them necessary mistakes i made as a noob since i still find myself guilty of doing the same things after all these years especially in rpg's

Excessive grinding -> The first thing i always did whenever i started playing a new jrpg, grinding for a couple of hours in the first area of the game to the point where i'm 5-10 levels ahead of the enemies i need to face in the next area, Still find myself guilty of this apperently ever since booting up Dragon Quest 11 a few days ago and the first thing i started doing yep grinding lol. Making the game a breeze so far.

Holding on to every weapon -> Still guilty of this, but yeah pretty self explanatory this one, for example you don't need that iron sword in skyrim anymore but lets hold onto it for safekeeping or as a momento.

Yeah, I remember when I was a kid I always wanted to collect everything, and I tried to do it. These days though, I have no patience for grinding. Back when I was a kid, it was still new to me, so the repetition was fine. But after playing so many games in my lifetime, I realized that I'm too lazy when it comes to the grinding in games today. It's just to much stuff you have to do now to 100% a game. I want fast paced more these days. 

And yeah I too still hold onto every weapon. I do this in RDR2 a lot, I haven't stored any of my weapons in the weapon chest you can use in camp or at a hotel. I figure it would be a good idea to start using it, because I don't use every single gun on my horse. And I figure it'd make it easier to switch between the guns I like and need a lot faster. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

And yeah I too still hold onto every weapon. I do this in RDR2 a lot, I haven't stored any of my weapons in the weapon chest you can use in camp or at a hotel. I figure it would be a good idea to start using it, because I don't use every single gun on my horse. And I figure it'd make it easier to switch between the guns I like and need a lot faster. 

RDR2 is a bitch for that. There are tons of weapons in the game, many of which you can easily find or craft yourself. It's rather daunting to collect them all, as many are unique items. But some can only be bought in one place. For example the M1899 pistol is only available in St Denis, and only when you enter Chapter IV. It's the same with horses, clothes, weapon equipment, and anything else you can get in the game. Completionists want to get a hold of absolutely everything in the game. Me personally, I only have a couple things that I want to try to get all of, but that's just to see it in my compendium. No practical reason. Just cosmetic.

This isn't something I've done when I was new to gaming as such, rather the opposite. Just recently I'd completed Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War for the first time, making sure I'd carefully uncovered all of the map of fog of war, destroyed every shred of the enemy presence and finished all secondary objectives. As satisfying as it was to steamroll the enemy and ensure xeno/Chaos influence was eradicated from each map... I eventually found out it was really all for nought. Unlike its sequel and expansions the ending doesn't change if you manage to liberate points of interest or save the Imperial Guard or whatever other goals the game has in mind. I don't want to count how many hours were lost to that, but like I say, playing the game and hearing its hilarious voice acting is rewarding enough.

Let's see here...

• I'd try to hoard everything in case it unlocked some kind of secret - You know you can't judge tin cans by their cover...
  • Read the manual inside out in case there was a code/cheat code that code unlock an ability/power/armor - I could probably tell you where to find certain words - page, paragraph etc.
  • Trying to jump on every ledge/invisible wall in-game hoping to discover a secret level - many a painful death from this.
  • Go into the cheat menu and enter every possible combination to unlock something - It did work one or two times but I never unlocked anything significant.

On 7/28/2022 at 3:42 PM, Yaramaki said:

Changing your mind when buying a video game at the last minute -> I'll just give an example of my own i was going to get Streets of rage 3 at first, when arriving at the store i noticed they had a new power rangers game and came home with Power rangers the movie the game instead, it's also a beat em up and i never really regretted the decision because i've found memories of the game but you know, the point being as a kid your mind changes all the time.

I was always very indecisive in my video game choices, I have like a list of games I hope to get but with limited funds so I usually get stuck on which one should be taken off the list.

On the day I want to purchase the game I just end up picking any game and just loose Interest in half the games on my list.

On 7/28/2022 at 4:27 PM, The Blackangel said:

RDR2 is a bitch for that. There are tons of weapons in the game, many of which you can easily find or craft yourself. It's rather daunting to collect them all, as many are unique items. But some can only be bought in one place. For example the M1899 pistol is only available in St Denis, and only when you enter Chapter IV. It's the same with horses, clothes, weapon equipment, and anything else you can get in the game. Completionists want to get a hold of absolutely everything in the game. Me personally, I only have a couple things that I want to try to get all of, but that's just to see it in my compendium. No practical reason. Just cosmetic.

Yeah I've been taking my second playthrough really slow. Already purchased all the guns you can buy before chapter IV or V I don't remember what chapter I'm on at the moment. Still many guns locked. Hell I can't even buy some of the fishing shit because I haven't gone far enough yet in the story. 

I don't know if I will 100% the game. I don't know if I want to be bothered to collect everything. But idk, we'll see. 🙂

23 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

What is the name of where you're camped?

Horseshoe Overlook
Clemens Point
Shady Belle

Currently in Clemens point. I haven't gotten to the point where you get stranded on the island yet, I think that's coming up soon. I'm assuming Shady Belle is the last camp you head to, but I forget. I'm tempted to complete my camp upgrades before I get to that point, so I need to do more hunting and crafting. I have all the upgrades for my camp at this point in the game, but have to do more crafting to 100% that aspect.