Register Now
Yaramaki

Videogame Franchises that outstayed their welcome?

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

With Call of Duty franchise, I think Microsoft after they acquired the ownership of Activision Blizzard, had announced that the game would no longer be released yearly. I'm not sure how far they plan on stretching it out but I think it's going to be good for the game's development going forward. 

Call of duty actually gave me some of my favorite games like vanguard and warzone and I would still enjoy playing those games any day.

The approach is good , let's just watch and see what the future holds for the video game.

15 minutes ago, Clasher said:

Call of duty actually gave me some of my favorite games like vanguard and warzone and I would still enjoy playing those games any day.

The approach is good , let's just watch and see what the future holds for the video game.

The early release of Call of Duty games in Black Ops 1 and 2 still means something to me a whole lot. Microsoft needs to get serious with the COD franchise and go back to the drawing board in order to discover a way to make the game make sense again in a very big way. 

3 minutes ago, Heatman said:

The early release of Call of Duty games in Black Ops 1 and 2 still means something to me a whole lot. Microsoft needs to get serious with the COD franchise and go back to the drawing board in order to discover a way to make the game make sense again in a very big way. 

Maybe coming up with something Totally different because now it just feels like they are repeating the same game over and over again but with different titles Black ops was a good game as well but I only fell in love with the franchise when I played vanguard.

7 minutes ago, Clasher said:

Maybe coming up with something Totally different because now it just feels like they are repeating the same game over and over again but with different titles Black ops was a good game as well but I only fell in love with the franchise when I played vanguard.

Yeah, that's why I'm in full support of the decision taken by Microsoft to end or stop the game from being a yearly release. 

I can't wait to see the next release they are going to have in COD once they have everything they need to run Activision Blizzard business completely. 

I second COD simply for the fact that they haven't changed enough to really make them unique. COD used to be the "IT" game for multiplayer, but these days, with not many changes, it has become quite stale. It's still a competent game, but they haven't changed much of anything with the series in the past 5-10 years I'd say. The recent game still looks and feels like COD. 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

With Call of Duty franchise, I think Microsoft after they acquired the ownership of Activision Blizzard, had announced that the game would no longer be released yearly. I'm not sure how far they plan on stretching it out but I think it's going to be good for the game's development going forward. 

There is rumors of that, but who's to say they will follow through with that. I would welcome COD being a game that releases every other year or every few years. It's not like we need a new game each year. Just update, add new maps, modes etc and that should be all we need. 

8 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I second COD simply for the fact that they haven't changed enough to really make them unique. COD used to be the "IT" game for multiplayer, but these days, with not many changes, it has become quite stale. It's still a competent game, but they haven't changed much of anything with the series in the past 5-10 years I'd say. The recent game still looks and feels like COD. 

There is rumors of that, but who's to say they will follow through with that. I would welcome COD being a game that releases every other year or every few years. It's not like we need a new game each year. Just update, add new maps, modes etc and that should be all we need. 

I know very well Microsoft have their madness with killing some great game's franchise just like EA does because they almost did it to the Halo franchise. 

They are capable of doing justice to COD and it's not something that's going to require too much from them but if they eventually decide to ruin it, I think I have been prepared for it. 

On 7/14/2022 at 11:33 AM, Clasher said:

Up until now I didn't know they are individuals who are feed up with resident evil.

Well, I still enjoy the franchise and if more unique contents would be released I am still going to purchase it and play it.

I agree with COD I think they've done their bit and any other they release would just be repetitive, I love the franchise but I think we've had enough for a decades worth.

There are a few people I know that seem to be fed up with Resident Evil (not me) for whatever reason but I love the series. It's my go to horror series when I want to have a serious case of insomnia.

57 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

There are a few people I know that seem to be fed up with Resident Evil (not me) for whatever reason but I love the series. It's my go to horror series when I want to have a serious case of insomnia.

There are only a few survival horror games I know that could match up to resident evil.

I would rather prefer they stop releasing WWE 2k games series than RE.

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I think that we have one here on VGR who's been going on and on with what Capcom have been doing with Resident Evil franchise for years now. It's @Candy Stick. Hey mate, are you still around...? 

I still log in, but there hasn't been much to talk about for a while. 

I happened to see Dusk Golem talking about Silent Hill again recently, and how it may be at Tokyo Game Show in September. He suspects that at least, because he is aware that many people who are supposed to be working on a new entry, are to be in attendance.

But at this point, it's like they better just be ready to announce something, or we need to move on for good. We're tired of running in circles over when something will be finally revealed. 

I always find these types of threads entertaining, as I’m always curious over how opinions change on entries in popular franchises over the years. Especially since we’re in the age of the internet where everything is archived.

I always enjoy seeing these games that were loathed years ago are now liked, or even beloved. Or how a lot of franchises have a thing where you have to hate the newest entry, and the former newest game is now acceptable to like.

On 7/15/2022 at 5:01 AM, Heatman said:

I know very well Microsoft have their madness with killing some great game's franchise just like EA does because they almost did it to the Halo franchise. 

They are capable of doing justice to COD and it's not something that's going to require too much from them but if they eventually decide to ruin it, I think I have been prepared for it. 

How so? Halo is still quite alive and well. They had some stinkers and less than ideal games, but for the most part Halo is still one of their best franchises. 

In regards to COD, they are. They already said they have plans to do less of the yearly releases. I'm guessing they plan to do this after the next COD, which is still expected to release this year. But after I think they're going to put the series on hiatus to kind of reinvent it. Because lets be honest here, the series needs a break and to maybe try something fresh and new. 

On 7/15/2022 at 5:21 PM, Clasher said:

There are only a few survival horror games I know that could match up to resident evil.

I would rather prefer they stop releasing WWE 2k games series than RE.

WWE 2K just needs a break as well. The newer game is competent and works fine, but there has been rumors that the WWE are looking for other studios to take on development of future WWE games. 2K and company had their chance and honestly the newer game is fine, but for the most part, it's still the same game with just some fixes here and there and new changes. 

WWE games can be good, we just need a new studio to actually make it happen. 

Last week, a Resident Evil series debuted on Netflix. It's not linked to the games whatsoever. It's just based on the general story, but they have Wesker's race different, and he has a daughter. Or is it two daughters?

Plus, they rebuild Raccoon City. Like seriously. How many more times do we have to see a city that Capcom had originally destroyed in 1999, resurface during the franchise? Well, it was 1998 in the gaming timeline. But the game RE3 was released in 1999. 

Even so, it's getting ridiculous how they just milk the franchise.

20 minutes ago, Candy Stick said:

Last week, a Resident Evil series debuted on Netflix. It's not linked to the games whatsoever. It's just based on the general story, but they have Wesker's race different, and he has a daughter. Or is it two daughters?

Plus, they rebuild Raccoon City. Like seriously. How many more times do we have to see a city that Capcom had originally destroyed in 1999, resurface during the franchise? Well, it was 1998 in the gaming timeline. But the game RE3 was released in 1999. 

Even so, it's getting ridiculous how they just milk the franchise.

I wouldn't say milking the franchise, it's more like they're letting idiots take their IP and make crap from it. The RE movies and show leave a lot lacking for the audience. They haven't made a single good RE movie aside from some of the animated movies, and even then some of those are mediocre as can be. I have no interest in watching the show, because it's just another Hollywood cash grab. 

To my knowledge, the show is the best we've got in terms of the movies and shows. It probably doesn't come close to the actual games though. The games are in their own little world, doing their own things. While the show and movies are mostly in their own world messing things up. lol

I agree. The movies made by Paul Anderson aren't the best adaptations. But there are some cool moments like the lazer scene in the original, and there is character development with Alice and the other characters. But if you like the games, it's best to check out the animated movies, which are linked to the games a little bit. Not by much, though, but they are enjoyable.

Although I don't know why Claire has a shotgun in the flashback scene, when she has a bowgun in RE2. Either the people who made the movie didn't know about that, or Capcom just did it to make people start talking.

People keep telling me the series still has a lot of the same staff from the nineties, who work on the games today. But then you would think they'd know about small things like this.