Register Now
Yaramaki

Videogame Franchises that outstayed their welcome?

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

How so? Halo is still quite alive and well. They had some stinkers and less than ideal games, but for the most part Halo is still one of their best franchises. 

In regards to COD, they are. They already said they have plans to do less of the yearly releases. I'm guessing they plan to do this after the next COD, which is still expected to release this year. But after I think they're going to put the series on hiatus to kind of reinvent it. Because lets be honest here, the series needs a break and to maybe try something fresh and new. 

The Halo franchise almost meet its end in 2007 when Bungie left Microsoft to start out on their own which led to the development of Destiny. At that point of the conclusion of Halo 3 which was thrown open by how ambiguous the game ended leaving it open for future games on the franchise but Microsoft had no one to work on the game. With Bungie being out, the future of Halo hanged in a balanced until Microsoft was able to work up a fix for it. They later formed called 343 Industry that took over the project and did an excellent job. If they had not found a solution to that, it would have been over for the Halo franchise now. 

i'm not sure what "franchise" but i wish they would come out with something besides car/racing/driving games and horror games. i'd like to see more games that aren't competitive that would give some of us a more creative outlet. stuff that's a little more soothing to play. i like to have a rip roarin time in some games but there's days i want something calming. everything now is mostly shooters, cars, horror and sports. plus there's a larger market of older gamers than there used to be. maybe they could cater to that some. oh and i forgot about the farming. sick to death of the farm games.

Edited by runswithspatulas

11 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

i'm not sure what "franchise" but i wish they would come out with something besides car/racing/driving games and horror games. i'd like to see more games that aren't competitive that would give some of us a more creative outlet. stuff that's a little more soothing to play. i like to have a rip roarin time in some games but there's days i want something calming. everything now is mostly shooters, cars, horror and sports. plus there's a larger market of older gamers than there used to be. maybe they could cater to that some. oh and i forgot about the farming. sick to death of the farm games.

Have you checked out Unpacking? I think that it's something that falls within the category of what you would like to play. Maybe you should look into it. 

9 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

I think the WWE games have been atrocious under the 2K banner, and I miss the good old THQ and Acclaim days. So I hope if the rights are giving to another company, they can make the games so much better. 

2K have been killing WWE games for a while with all their bugs/glitches. It's been more than what gamers can take and most people share the same feelings as well. The franchise needs to be taken away from 2K but the question is who would do justice to the game? 

21 hours ago, Kane99 said:

WWE 2K just needs a break as well. The newer game is competent and works fine, but there has been rumors that the WWE are looking for other studios to take on development of future WWE games. 2K and company had their chance and honestly the newer game is fine, but for the most part, it's still the same game with just some fixes here and there and new changes. 

WWE games can be good, we just need a new studio to actually make it happen. 

WWE 2k has really great potentials for a video game but the company isn't doing justice to it, mind you I still have most of the wwe 2k games released so I am speaking as an unsatisfied fan of what this company is doing with the game.

They could do better but right now they should just pause take their time and develop a really good one maybe in 3 years.

21 hours ago, Heatman said:

The Halo franchise almost meet its end in 2007 when Bungie left Microsoft to start out on their own which led to the development of Destiny. At that point of the conclusion of Halo 3 which was thrown open by how ambiguous the game ended leaving it open for future games on the franchise but Microsoft had no one to work on the game. With Bungie being out, the future of Halo hanged in a balanced until Microsoft was able to work up a fix for it. They later formed called 343 Industry that took over the project and did an excellent job. If they had not found a solution to that, it would have been over for the Halo franchise now. 

Yeah, but they succeeded in that. Yeah there was some worry that Halo would have failed, but ever since 343 took over, it seemed to have done just fine. Yeah some of the games were lacking, but for the most part, the past and current Halo games did well and are doing well. 

19 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

I think the WWE games have been atrocious under the 2K banner, and I miss the good old THQ and Acclaim days. So I hope if the rights are giving to another company, they can make the games so much better. 

It's because they haven't changed the formula much since like WWE 2K13 or something. I don't know how many times I've watched the same animations in most of the newer games. Even the newest game reuses some of the same animations. But with the newer game, it's actually good again. Though I still think another team should take over. 

1 hour ago, Clasher said:

WWE 2k has really great potentials for a video game but the company isn't doing justice to it, mind you I still have most of the wwe 2k games released so I am speaking as an unsatisfied fan of what this company is doing with the game.

They could do better but right now they should just pause take their time and develop a really good one maybe in 3 years.

It's partly to do with the WWE as well. They allowed these studios to keep producing crap games, and this is what happens. They gave 2K an ultimatum pretty much that they had to make a good game, otherwise they would be moving on to another studio. So WWE 2K22 is 2K's last chance to wow the WWE people. If this game doesn't do good sales wise, we may be seeing another studio taking the reigns. 

I remember checking out the 2K forums and thinking that it was so awful how a game could be that bad, to where so many supporters turned against the company. The WWE games used to be fun. 

Creating stories and arenas and other stuff was too time consuming, but the CAW mode was a highlight of the games. You could come up with so many funny ideas - including making a faux version of yourself. There was also previously an option to use custom music and scan tattoos, which I think they had to stop because of copyright reasons.

But how can you be the person to give Randy Orton his tattoos and then say you own his body now? At least give the artist a credit in the game, I suppose. 🙂

I remembered an old trick to get more CAWs. Delete them after you add them to pay-per-views. They can be used again, but not edited if they are individually deleted, but they are still retained. But it saves space. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah, but they succeeded in that. Yeah there was some worry that Halo would have failed, but ever since 343 took over, it seemed to have done just fine. Yeah some of the games were lacking, but for the most part, the past and current Halo games did well and are doing well. 

It's why I believe that if Microsoft really want to fix the Call of Duty franchise, they are more than capable of doing so and I have a gut feeling that they will get it done. If it means moving the game's development to a different new team, they would do it if it would the last option. 

I was reading an article the other day on game franchise that needs a break on Sportskeeda and it Forza franchise was named among such games that needs a break. What's your take on that? 

1 hour ago, runswithspatulas said:

i got unpacking last night. i played it some before bed. very relaxing and cute little game. $20 though. not sure how much game there is on it to be played. download was like 7 min. doubt there's much content there. i hope it's not just gonna be the same few rooms over and over.

I think you might be posting this in the wrong thread: General Gaming Discussion, Last Game Played or the Pickup Thread might be a better choice, seeing as Unpacking isn't a franchise that's had a chance to go on for longer than it should.

~

I choose Warcraft for this thread. It ran out of steam before its first expansion, the climactic fight at Blackwing Lair being evidence because it was designed as a total joke. Illidan Stormrage's line of 'death was merely a setback' began a precedent that previously only existed in comic books. Its characters have long since been tired and unmotivated, expansion plot hooks being stretched beyond the imagination. The engine is sluggish, and beneath what few mechanics are left to streamline is a poorly organised heap of code that can't be rejiggered in case the whole KerPlunk configuration comes crashing down in on itself.

You could make a World of Warcraft 2. You could alienate what few players you have left, pile a load of money into an MMO that could only wish to be half as successful as the original game in its twilight days, and you could bring about a new beginning that can't take off while the old lore didn't get the swan song it so rightfully deserved.

I'd say it'd be better to quit now than continue development, but at the same time we're past the point where Warcraft can have a dignified end. When it dies it'll be recorded only as a pathetic footnote in the history of gaming despite all the impact it had on the industry for all the years that it did. What Blizzard didn't do with Warcraft is the only thing people will ultimately care about bittersweetly, and fortunately for its legacy, there's a lot to think about in that regard.

Edited by Withywarlock

10 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I think you might be posting this in the wrong thread: General Gaming Discussion, Last Game Played or the Pickup Thread might be a better choice, seeing as Unpacking isn't a franchise that's had a chance to go on for longer than it should.

~

I choose Warcraft for this thread. It ran out of steam before its first expansion, the climactic fight at Blackwing Lair being evidence because it was designed as a total joke. Illidan Stormrage's line of 'death was merely a setback' began a precedent that previously only existed in comic books. Its characters have long since been tired and unmotivated, expansion plot hooks being stretched beyond the imagination. The engine is sluggish, and beneath what few mechanics are left to streamline is a poorly organised heap of code that can't be rejiggered in case the whole KerPlunk configuration comes crashing down in on itself.

You could make a World of Warcraft 2. You could alienate what few players you have left, pile a load of money into an MMO that could only wish to be half as successful as the original game in its twilight days, and you could bring about a new beginning that can't take off while the old lore didn't get the swan song it so rightfully deserved.

I'd say it'd be better to quit now than continue development, but at the same time we're past the point where Warcraft can have a dignified end. When it dies it'll be recorded only as a pathetic footnote in the history of gaming despite all the impact it had on the industry for all the years that it did. What Blizzard didn't do with Warcraft is the only thing people will ultimately care about bittersweetly, and fortunately for its legacy, there's a lot to think about in that regard.

sorry. i guess since i don't know where to post stuff properly then maybe i should just not be on here. 

1 hour ago, runswithspatulas said:

sorry. i guess since i don't know where to post stuff properly then maybe i should just not be on here. 

It's not an admonishment or anything (not that I have any such authority to begin with), just a recommendation 😅. I only say this because the forums get clogged with off-topic stuff very easily and it just creates more work for the mods reminding people to stay on topic.

~

Now I've derailed things I'll make it up to the OP: I was going to say Warhammer in general because it's not until recently that things have gone beyond "Blood Ravens fight Orks which are driven by Chaos which has attracted Tyrannids and must ally with the Eldar to stop them." However, I think Space Hulk has gone on long enough. It's a turn-based tactics game with hard-and-fast rules where you play as Terminator Space Marines versus Genestealers. That's it. I'm astonished that it's taken as many installments as it has to reach the point where we have multiple Space Marine Chapters. The only true innovation there's been was a Left 4 Dead style FPS which takes away the authenticity of being in Tactical Dreadnought Armour by being, err, playable. And here comes Darktide, doing the same thing but with slightly less powerful (in lore, but not in game) units.

8 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

Nah please don't as you seem like somebody who has something interesting to tell and you know we all make mistakes and if they were as little as yours, earth would be heaven right now. I moved your post about unpacking to the last game played thread btw, where it's better suited then here.

On 7/20/2022 at 11:45 PM, runswithspatulas said:

I get your point and you know this would be an interesting topic to discuss if you feel like making a thread about relaxing games and what you are looking for, i'm sure myself and fellow posters could come up with a dozen orso games that would fit your discription, maybe learn about a game we've never heard ourselves of in the process.

Edited by Yaramaki

On 7/21/2022 at 8:47 PM, Candy Stick said:

I remember checking out the 2K forums and thinking that it was so awful how a game could be that bad, to where so many supporters turned against the company. The WWE games used to be fun. 

Creating stories and arenas and other stuff was too time consuming, but the CAW mode was a highlight of the games. You could come up with so many funny ideas - including making a faux version of yourself. There was also previously an option to use custom music and scan tattoos, which I think they had to stop because of copyright reasons.

But how can you be the person to give Randy Orton his tattoos and then say you own his body now? At least give the artist a credit in the game, I suppose. 🙂

I remembered an old trick to get more CAWs. Delete them after you add them to pay-per-views. They can be used again, but not edited if they are individually deleted, but they are still retained. But it saves space. 

It's just like one WWE game's forum that used to be in some years ago which I can't remember the name right now, the fans/gamers on it never held back butchering 2K when they dropped WWE 2K20 in the state it was released. I also shared in their frustration then because it felt like the company wasn't ready for the game's development. 

Edited by Heatman

On 7/21/2022 at 7:42 PM, Kane99 said:

It's partly to do with the WWE as well. They allowed these studios to keep producing crap games, and this is what happens. They gave 2K an ultimatum pretty much that they had to make a good game, otherwise they would be moving on to another studio. So WWE 2K22 is 2K's last chance to wow the WWE people. If this game doesn't do good sales wise, we may be seeing another studio taking the reigns. 

They don't take their time to make their video games and release it like they were in a rush to meet a deadline.

Maybe WWE has a hand in it and that's they need to take a break and work on a really good game, release at the right time and they are definitely going to get the kind of attention they deserve.