Register Now
Yaramaki

Videogame Franchises that outstayed their welcome?

With the Chairman of WWE Vince just retired at 77 years few days ago. I'm not sure what the future is going to hold for the company because he was actually the one who turned the company around and make a powerful house of entertainment. The same uncertainty hands on what's going to be with 2K and WWE games. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

With the Chairman of WWE Vince just retired at 77 years few days ago. I'm not sure what the future is going to hold for the company because he was actually the one who turned the company around and make a powerful house of entertainment. The same uncertainty hands on what's going to be with 2K and WWE games. 

I'd hate to say it and for the love of god let's hope not, but seems like the right time for Ea to scoop up the license and create an even bigger monopoly in the sports game genre.

Edited by Yaramaki

5 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

I'd hate to say it and for the love of god let's hope not, but seems like the right time for Ea to scoop up the license and create an even bigger monopoly in the sports game genre.

Oh God absolutely not. That's worse than it sticking with 2K. But honestly I could see it happening. I don't know any other studios that could take it on, or that are big enough for the WWE to notice. 

But, the WWE also has gamers in their crew, so maybe someone like Xavier Woods could steer them into a good developer/studio. It's an exciting time for wrestling though. 

7 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

With Microsoft being ahead of other companies in the their acquisition trend, it's going to be a good opportunity for EA to scoop up this one. 

It looks like Triple H would be involved with so much in the company's management now with the latest updates on him resuming his executive duties. XRecorder_Edited_25072022_225737.thumb.jpg.0aa46adfdaf56896a17a8458b97633a0.jpg

19 hours ago, Heatman said:

With Microsoft being ahead of other companies in the their acquisition trend, it's going to be a good opportunity for EA to scoop up this one. 

It looks like Triple H would be involved with so much in the company's management now with the latest updates on him resuming his executive duties. XRecorder_Edited_25072022_225737.thumb.jpg.0aa46adfdaf56896a17a8458b97633a0.jpg

Imagine if Microsoft were to get the rights for the WWE games. That would be odd. I don't think I'd like it. 

Also, I doubt McMahon if fully gone. He's still doing stuff for the WWE I bet. 

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Imagine if Microsoft were to get the rights for the WWE games. That would be odd. I don't think I'd like it. 

Also, I doubt McMahon if fully gone. He's still doing stuff for the WWE I bet. 

I'm very sure that Vince McMahon is going completely be out of the company for good this time. He's been in and out in the past but I'm sure he's done right now for him to come out openly to announce it. 

I'd not like Microsoft to get the rights for WWE games, it's not that they won't do a good job but to limit their monopoly in the industry. 

The major problem for any company that would want to take on the wwe license is probably going to be able to outbid 2k games for it, granted if 2k games want to continue with the license. There are rumours about an Aew in development, so there is always that and the competition could do miracles for the wwe games.

There is always fire pro wrestling world for the ps4/pc which is arguably the best wrestling game ever made, it may look simplistic and it's probably too niche for the casual wrestling fan but any wrestling fan should give this a try as you've never seen a wrestling game with this many match types and imo the best control scheme in any wrestling game. People interested in wrestling should look into and it's probably not going to break the either as you can pick up a physical copy on ps4 for around 20bucks.

Edited by Yaramaki

6 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

The major problem for any company that would want to take on the wwe license is probably going to be able to outbid 2k games for it, granted if 2k games want to continue with the license. There are rumours about an Aew in development, so there is always that and the competition could do miracles for the wwe games.

There is always fire pro wrestling world for the ps4/pc which is arguably the best wrestling game ever made, it may look simplistic and it's probably too niche for the casual wrestling fan but any wrestling fan should give this a try as you've never seen a wrestling game with this many match types and imo the best control scheme in any wrestling game. People interested in wrestling should look into and it's probably not going to break the either as you can pick up a physical copy on ps4 for around 20bucks.

AEW has been talking about their own game for a while now, have even shown off images of the game. It looks more cartoonish, but is being developed by Yukes, who was the team behind the WWE games for a while. They also have a wrestling management game on mobile, but I haven't played that. 

But with WWE games, they are very much lack in recent years. The new changes to the recent game were great and needed, but it still feels like the last 5 or so games, where I see similar animations, the belts don't sit on you, the belts clip, created characters sometimes don't show up for their match. WWE 2K is still a mess in many ways, but is much better than recent versions. 

But, 2K needed to prove that they could still deliver on a WWE game, but I don't know the official sales, but I heard that if it didn't sell well, then they may look into a different direction. 

I hope they get a different dev team behind it. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

They also have a wrestling management game on mobile, but I haven't played that

I have played it once and only a few hardcore wrestling fans I know has this game, it quite cool though but I didn't bother about getting it on my mobile phone.

I think the idea for this video game was gotten from football manager though not same. I enjoyed playing as Brock's manager Paul Heyman.

I like the idea but they shouldn't bother about making more of the wrestling management game if they wouldn't make it better, reduce bugs and work on the graphics.

Edited by Clasher

14 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

Call of Duty. It's almost impressive how they've managed to just release the same fricking game LITERALLY every year and still have a loyal fanbase willing to eat it up each time. Same applies to a few other mega popular series like FIFA. 

This was exactly the same thing the developers of Battlefield felt like they were going keep doing and get their loyal fans keep on buying their trash. But it bite them hard in their last release of Battlefield 2042. It's us gamers that gives them the incentive to keep doing that because we end up buying them. 

MARIO - SMB has been a staple of Nintendo since the NES released in 1985. And every system has had at least one Mario game, which is fine. But they released so many variants and remakes of the game, that Mario and Luigi are unrecognizable at this point. And Luigi has been all but forgotten since the N64 eleased. With the exception of Mario Kart and Luigi's Mansion, I don't think he's even in the mix anymore. Compare the first SMB on NES to Mario Odyssey. The only parallels I can find are the name Mario and Bowser, who was originally called King Koopa. Princess Toadstool changed her name to Peach at some point. Mario is played out, plain and simple.

GTA - I'm gonna catch hell for this, but GTA is going stale. Sure there are a lot of people who absolutely love the game, but from what I've seen of them, it's all the same damn thing over and over. Which is the problem with too many sequels. I also understand that when a game is a hit, the developers want to keep riding it for as long as they can. I've played several of them, and aside from the title, they were the same with little to nothing that was new.

HALO - Halo has got to go. I know that Microsoft had a massive hit with it. It's popularity is probably what sold the Xbox. People wanted to play a console exclusive game, and to do that, they had to buy the Xbox. Simple supply and demand. But I see it as the same as GTA. The same thing puked up over and over with little to no new features. Maybe things have changed since I last played it, but it has definitely outstayed its welcome.

COD - What else do I need to say? CoD inspired many other titles and games of the same subject, but there is nothing of substance anymore. There are plenty of other games that I can fight gun battles in. Change it up a bit PLEASE.

SPORTS GAMES - I'm sure everyone will agree with me on this. Every sport has a new edition every year, and aside from possible roster changes, it's 99% exactly the same as the previous one. If companies would wait 2-3 years before releasing another one, I would have nothing to say about it. And I'm sure other gamers would agree with me on this. But FFS, do something else besides giving me another sports game that has no difference from the previous ones.

14 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

GTA - I'm gonna catch hell for this, but GTA is going stale. Sure there are a lot of people who absolutely love the game, but from what I've seen of them, it's all the same damn thing over and over. Which is the problem with too many sequels. I also understand that when a game is a hit, the developers want to keep riding it for as long as they can. I've played several of them, and aside from the title, they were the same with little to nothing that was new.

Rockstar is even going to introduce the first female playable character in GTA 6 whom happens to be a Latina. She's going to be involved with a pair of bank robbers. I don't know if it's anything that's going to offer any real changes in the game till it's released. Also they plan to have the game is going to be launched in a single City with more locations through updates.