Register Now
Yaramaki

Videogame Franchises that outstayed their welcome?

On 7/27/2022 at 1:45 PM, NightmareFarm said:

Call of Duty. It's almost impressive how they've managed to just release the same fricking game LITERALLY every year and still have a loyal fanbase willing to eat it up each time. Same applies to a few other mega popular series like FIFA. 

COD and Fifa are too great additions and I wholeheartedly agree - they keep selling the same game every year and they'll sneakily remove one or two features and re-add one or two features from far older games and call it "revolutionary".

On 7/27/2022 at 1:45 PM, NightmareFarm said:

I agree on Sonic btw, they've ran out of ideas. 

That's been established since the early 2000's and the new open world game looks like trash.

On 7/29/2022 at 9:40 PM, killamch89 said:

COD and Fifa are too great additions and I wholeheartedly agree - they keep selling the same game every year and they'll sneakily remove one or two features and re-add one or two features from far older games and call it "revolutionary".

I'd say that what's still helping EA stay about waters with their FIFA game's franchise is because football is never going to end and it's what's helping them sell the games so much even when they are making trash and should have had the game retired. It's just like what Battlefield witnessed and I'm sure that after Battlefield 2042, the poor sales showed them gamers have likely moved on from the game. 

Yeah sonic the hedgehog has overstayed his welcome for years on end. I'd say sonic 06 was probably the time they started to fail. They had some good releases in between, but I don't think it's ever been enough to recapture that sonic glory. The 90s was when Sonic was relevant, these days not so much sadly. 

On 7/28/2022 at 10:01 PM, The Blackangel said:

SPORTS GAMES - I'm sure everyone will agree with me on this. Every sport has a new edition every year, and aside from possible roster changes, it's 99% exactly the same as the previous one. If companies would wait 2-3 years before releasing another one, I would have nothing to say about it. And I'm sure other gamers would agree with me on this. But FFS, do something else besides giving me another sports game that has no difference from the previous ones.

To an extent this is true, but you can't overlook the Change in graphics as you can't compare the graphics of FIFA 22 to any of the previous games off the series.

I tend to get new sport games just so I could play the same game but with better well defined characters and player representation and that gives it a whole different vibe and experience in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Clasher said:

To an extent this is true, but you can't overlook the Change in graphics as you can't compare the graphics of FIFA 22 to any of the previous games off the series.

I tend to get new sport games just so I could play the same game but with better well defined characters and player representation and that gives it a whole different vibe and experience in my opinion.

Graphics is one thing, but for the most part, these yearly released sports games are much of the same. They may change the graphics to be more pretty, but you'll probably notice they don't change the controls/animations or much of anything else. 

If they just took time each year to release updates instead, I think sports games would be a lot more regarded instead of hated. 

On 8/1/2022 at 8:06 PM, Kane99 said:

Yeah sonic the hedgehog has overstayed his welcome for years on end. I'd say sonic 06 was probably the time they started to fail. They had some good releases in between, but I don't think it's ever been enough to recapture that sonic glory. The 90s was when Sonic was relevant, these days not so much sadly. 

They are taking the game to the movie industry now because I have seen a few of Sonic The Hedgehog movies in a while now. What their agenda is with taking it to movie is something that I can't quite figure out yet. 

Maybe they are trying to get some people who aren't familiar with the game to look into it as well. It's the only possibility that I see from it. 

On 7/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, The Blackangel said:

MARIO - SMB has been a staple of Nintendo since the NES released in 1985. And every system has had at least one Mario game, which is fine. But they released so many variants and remakes of the game, that Mario and Luigi are unrecognizable at this point. And Luigi has been all but forgotten since the N64 eleased. With the exception of Mario Kart and Luigi's Mansion, I don't think he's even in the mix anymore. Compare the first SMB on NES to Mario Odyssey. The only parallels I can find are the name Mario and Bowser, who was originally called King Koopa. Princess Toadstool changed her name to Peach at some point. Mario is played out, plain and simple.

GTA - I'm gonna catch hell for this, but GTA is going stale. Sure there are a lot of people who absolutely love the game, but from what I've seen of them, it's all the same damn thing over and over. Which is the problem with too many sequels. I also understand that when a game is a hit, the developers want to keep riding it for as long as they can. I've played several of them, and aside from the title, they were the same with little to nothing that was new.

HALO - Halo has got to go. I know that Microsoft had a massive hit with it. It's popularity is probably what sold the Xbox. People wanted to play a console exclusive game, and to do that, they had to buy the Xbox. Simple supply and demand. But I see it as the same as GTA. The same thing puked up over and over with little to no new features. Maybe things have changed since I last played it, but it has definitely outstayed its welcome.

COD - What else do I need to say? CoD inspired many other titles and games of the same subject, but there is nothing of substance anymore. There are plenty of other games that I can fight gun battles in. Change it up a bit PLEASE.

SPORTS GAMES - I'm sure everyone will agree with me on this. Every sport has a new edition every year, and aside from possible roster changes, it's 99% exactly the same as the previous one. If companies would wait 2-3 years before releasing another one, I would have nothing to say about it. And I'm sure other gamers would agree with me on this. But FFS, do something else besides giving me another sports game that has no difference from the previous ones.

I disagree about Mario games, mainly because he's been relevant for all these years. Also, Mario Odyssey has been regarded as a game of the year, some even have added it to their favorite game lists. For the most part, Mario is still a household name. 

I can understand the spinoff games, like Mario party, Mario tennis, etc overstaying their welcome, but I think the Super Mario franchise keeps it fresh every so often and reinvents the game. I mean odysee was a big change. The hat gimmick helped sell it. 

I agree with the rest of your picks though.  

On 7/29/2022 at 9:40 PM, killamch89 said:

It's a trick that's worked for both companies for years now and it seems like they have perfected it in a way that their fans who are so gullible wouldn't care to look through the game very well but take on it hook, line and sinker. It's why they keep making millions of dollars from those franchise every year. 

Let's add Mario sports games into the mix aswell, since these are just a repeat and quite frankly a shell of their former selves, Mario golf and tennis were cool on the n64, gamecube and maybe the wii but these days on switch you are expecting a little more especially single player wise these games seem to have come to a stop. I Haven't played the new released Mario strikers but i bet it's not going to top the one on the gamecube. I know things with mario on it are going to sell like hot cakes but why pay full price for a arcade sports title when you can have Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 which is a much better and cheaper alternative then any of the mario sports stuff that i've played in the past 10 years orso. No imo the Mario sports titles have lost it's magic a long time ago. 

On 8/4/2022 at 6:43 AM, Kane99 said:

Graphics is one thing, but for the most part, these yearly released sports games are much of the same. They may change the graphics to be more pretty, but you'll probably notice they don't change the controls/animations or much of anything else. 

If they just took time each year to release updates instead, I think sports games would be a lot more regarded instead of hated. 

Speaking about updates that they should have done in their football games especially with EA's FIFA franchise, why haven't they updated the use of Virtual Assistant Referee (VAR) in the game or they can't do it? 

Mario been mentioned a lot here though I stopped playing with Mario kart double dash I haven't really paid close attention to it afterwards.

I think there was a time when fans of Mario kart games was talking a lot about Mario kart 8 and even the more recent Mario kart live : home circuit is said to be atleast slightly above average.

18 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Let's add Mario sports games into the mix aswell, since these are just a repeat and quite frankly a shell of their former selves, Mario golf and tennis were cool on the n64, gamecube and maybe the wii but these days on switch you are expecting a little more especially single player wise these games seem to have come to a stop. I Haven't played the new released Mario strikers but i bet it's not going to top the one on the gamecube. I know things with mario on it are going to sell like hot cakes but why pay full price for a arcade sports title when you can have Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 which is a much better and cheaper alternative then any of the mario sports stuff that i've played in the past 10 years orso. No imo the Mario sports titles have lost it's magic a long time ago. 

For me it's mostly the Mario Party side of things. There seems to be a lot more Mario Party releases that haven't really brought anything new to the series. Isn't there like 9 Mario Party games? With the sports games at least, I feel like they don't release so many as often. 

While I disagree that Mario himself has outstayed his welcome, nor have the mainline games, Mario Kart definitely has. It's too feature bloated to be recognisable as what it once was, and Mario Kart Tour - as much as I like it - is less about the racing and more about how many points you can rack up for seasonal rewards. But then maybe that speaks volumes to the game: that despite the unnecessary feature and character creep, it's still a solid kart racer. It doesn't beat Crash Team Racing by any means besides graphical fidelity, but is otherwise a fun game.

I think Nintendo once said that the reason why their prices don't come down is so it doesn't devalue the brand (or words to that effect), but this is the company that made 25 Mario Party games, so make of that what you will.

- Sonic the Hedgehog 

- Wolfenstein

- FIFA

- Mortal Kombat

All this series have faded over time. MK used to be the 'go to series game, but it's been long the developers brought sequels for the series. At this time it has overstayed it's welcome, same to EA FIFA and any other in the list. 

42 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

- Sonic the Hedgehog 

- Wolfenstein

- FIFA

- Mortal Kombat

All this series have faded over time. MK used to be the 'go to series game, but it's been long the developers brought sequels for the series. At this time it has overstayed it's welcome, same to EA FIFA and any other in the list. 

I still very much love Mortal Kombat series. Yeah, it's been around for a while now but it's still something good to play. At some point, I think it even got a lot more better with more series released.