Register Now
StaceyPowers

What open world games have the best voice acting?

I would say The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for Wes Johnson's myriad performances alone. While Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean and Terence Stamp have distinct voices, as indeed do most of the NPCs' actors, they aren't really suited for voice acting. Even then if someone were to lump that into the voice direction, which is the problem that plagues Oblivion's voice work, then I'd quite easily find myself agreeing with that.

Oblivion's voice actors are good at what they do, but they're hugely overworked given each named NPC has unique lines and every rumour has to be done in each voice. It's amazing that even with one of the bloopers where an old take was left in, the actor maintains composure despite how difficult it must've been to be one of three(?) female voice actors, one of which being Lynda Carter: the wife of the President of Zenimax and Wonder Woman from the '75 TV show.

Most modern games have pretty decent voice acting. RDR1, 2, GTA series, Skyrim (sometimes, it has some corny acting at times), and a few others I'm sure. If it's a serious game like RDR2, I like my acting to be fantastic. But if it's a game like Saints Row, I don't care how good or bad the acting is, as long as the game is fun and is good enough to play. 

These days they have acting unions for voice actors, so games have come a long way. Back in the day when voice acting in games started, it was usually the devs or some actors they got from a theater department at a local community college. Now days professionals are taking things up a notch. 

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. JRPG on the PS2, which has since been ported to Android, iOS, and 3DS. The protagonist you play as isn't voiced, but everyone else is, at least in every cutscene I can remember.

RDR2 by far. The actors put so much into the game's dialogue, and didn't mince words. There's emotion, inflection, and passion in their voices from the start of the game. It's the absolute best I have ever seen. Better than cartoons, movies, and general narration from any source. Roger Clark was the best actor in the entire game.

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

RDR2 by far. The actors put so much into the game's dialogue, and didn't mince words. There's emotion, inflection, and passion in their voices from the start of the game. It's the absolute best I have ever seen. Better than cartoons, movies, and general narration from any source. Roger Clark was the best actor in the entire game.

Roger Clarke did make Arthur Morgan's dialogue so impactful. He even won best performance of the year at some gaming awards in 2018. I can't quite remember which one though - I'd have to look it up.

There are a few of them but I'm sure that Red Dead Redemption 2 tops the list for me. Also, Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild is equally good on that note. The voice acting in GTA IV can't be overlooked as well because it's better than GTA V in my opinion.