Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why is joystick sensitivity so bad?

I recently learned how to connect my DualSense with my laptop to play games. But there is absolutely no way to get the sensitivity and precision with the joysticks on the gamepad that I get out of a mouse, which makes shooters hard to play. Is this a limitation inherent to joysticks, or are PlayStation controllers just crappy with sensitivity and precision?

Before you ask, I am not using the mouse for ergonomic/pain reasons.

On 7/15/2022 at 12:15 PM, killamch89 said:

I'm not sure as there doesn't seem to be any real answers to this question. Which games have you tried to use it for?

Quake III Arena. But I think this is a thing in general. I used to wonder why so many games aimed largely at console players have modes that pause/slow down combat for precision targeting, and I assume this sensitivity limitation is the reason.

It’s possible that you might need to calibrate the control sticks in Windows, or get third party software for it.

I’ve used periferals on multiple operating systems and have seen more of an issue with the software more than the actual hardware. One example is mouse scrolling. The scrolling works completely fine on Windows, but I use it on ChromeOS or a Linux distro, and they’re both like “lol, you want to edit scrolling sensitivity?”

On 7/14/2022 at 12:59 AM, StaceyPowers said:

I recently learned how to connect my DualSense with my laptop to play games. But there is absolutely no way to get the sensitivity and precision with the joysticks on the gamepad that I get out of a mouse, which makes shooters hard to play.

Most games have sensitivity controls in the options menu, there are external apps and options within Windows itself some of which are explained in this post:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67442029/how-to-customize-gamepad-controller-joystick-output-sensitivity-in-windows-10/70698591#70698591

There's also Thumb Stick extenders which reduce sensitivity by effectively "gearing the stick up".  I use these and although they don't suddenly turn into an FPS master they do help.

61F0iJlhs+S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On 7/14/2022 at 12:59 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Is this a limitation inherent to joysticks, or are PlayStation controllers just crappy with sensitivity and precision?

Before you ask, I am not using the mouse for ergonomic/pain reasons.

Most people find that a mouse is more precise when it comes to aiming.  With a mouse you can move the aiming curser in a target, stop on a specific point, then move it again quite easily.  The same action on a stick is considerably more difficult because sticks will always try to spring back to the neutral point.  It's the nature of the peripheral itself.

Controllers have some natural advantages to.  Their more ergonomic, designed for purpose and offer far better control over an in game character's lateral movement.  This is especially true when it comes to sneaking where you can freely control how fast the movement is on a stick but it's pretty much a binary move/stop or possibly a separate toggle for walk/run on keyboard.  If you've ever tried to play a sneak build in Oblivion on PC you'll know what I'm talking about, it's awful.

2 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Most games have sensitivity controls in the options menu, there are external apps and options within Windows itself some of which are explained in this post:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67442029/how-to-customize-gamepad-controller-joystick-output-sensitivity-in-windows-10/70698591#70698591

There's also Thumb Stick extenders which reduce sensitivity by effectively "gearing the stick up".  I use these and although they don't suddenly turn into an FPS master they do help.

Most people find that a mouse is more precise when it comes to aiming.  With a mouse you can move the aiming curser in a target, stop on a specific point, then move it again quite easily.  The same action on a stick is considerably more difficult because sticks will always try to spring back to the neutral point.  It's the nature of the peripheral itself.

Controllers have some natural advantages to.  Their more ergonomic, designed for purpose and offer far better control over an in game character's lateral movement.  This is especially true when it comes to sneaking where you can freely control how fast the movement is on a stick but it's pretty much a binary move/stop or possibly a separate toggle for walk/run on keyboard.  If you've ever tried to play a sneak build in Oblivion on PC you'll know what I'm talking about, it's awful.

The sensitivity controls in my game were useless, but you have given me some great ideas to consider! You also explained exactly why the issue exists, so thank you for both. 

And indeed, the ergonomic advantage of the controller is why I am trying to use it for this.

The last time I tried using joystick to play any game was some years ago with one of the FIFA games I had purchased. It wasn't something that I ever tried for the second time because it was very difficult playing and controlling the player with it. It's that part in controllers that doesn't matter much to me at the moment. 

joystick sensitivity so bad, I say it's your settings 😉 I always use my Joystick and it's how you have your sensitivity set in game or maybe in the settings of that device. Have your drivers updated and also google online for others sensitivity settings that they have. I would not say it's bad, it's what you got setup.

4 hours ago, Empire said:

joystick sensitivity so bad, I say it's your settings 😉 I always use my Joystick and it's how you have your sensitivity set in game or maybe in the settings of that device. Have your drivers updated and also google online for others sensitivity settings that they have. I would not say it's bad, it's what you got setup.

You might actually have a very good point in this because I never considered that at all. I'd have to look into it and see what happens when I have it set up well in the next game that I'm going to play using it. If it goes well, that all my thanks goes to you. 

I think this is more of a personal issue than a general one, I am not comfortable playing with controllers than mouse even for my PC and I have mastered it controls except for a game where there is need to readjust the controller sensitivity and there is hardly ever a time when I needed to do This.

I still use a controller when I play most games. I try to use a mouse and keyboard for other games, but I'm so used to using a controllers, that it's kinda hard for me to get used to keyboard and mouse. it's mostly knowing the buttons on the keyboard, as it's mostly the same for a controller, but keyboard can be different for some games. 

18 hours ago, Clasher said:

I think this is more of a personal issue than a general one, I am not comfortable playing with controllers than mouse even for my PC and I have mastered it controls except for a game where there is need to readjust the controller sensitivity and there is hardly ever a time when I needed to do This.

I started out playing video games with console controllers. I got so used to playing with it at a very young age. But as controllers gets an upgrade with joysticks, I never gave any attention to it because I was more used to the cross buttons. As for mouse and keyboard, I got used them after a long time of trail with game for my PC games. 

19 hours ago, Heatman said:

You might actually have a very good point in this because I never considered that at all. I'd have to look into it and see what happens when I have it set up well in the next game that I'm going to play using it. If it goes well, that all my thanks goes to you. 

I own the old Logitech Extreme Joystick and also have Thrustmaster TCA pack 🙂 So I had experienced it all LOL I hate it when you get a new aircraft or new stick and takes up so much time to get the seetings right for that aircraft type and have to set another profile up.

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

I started out playing video games with console controllers. I got so used to playing with it at a very young age. But as controllers gets an upgrade with joysticks, I never gave any attention to it because I was more used to the cross buttons. As for mouse and keyboard, I got used them after a long time of trail with game for my PC games. 

Well, it's just a matter of preference and what yuh know how to use better.

If you are sloppy at using controllers for PC you could stick to using the mouse if that's what works for you.