Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why is joystick sensitivity so bad?

It is understandable that some PC gamers are more comfortable playing with their mouse or keyboard than using a controller. I just want to say, even if I turn a PC gamer tomorrow, I will still make use of my controller, I feel more comfortable using the controller than any other controls. 

I really need to try utilizing mouse and keyboard more often, just to see if I get overall better performance than a controller. I remember hearing back in the day, that when I played COD for example, PC gamers would often say they were better than console gamers. I can't say for certain if that's true, but I imagine they do have some more control with the mouse. But I'm so used to a gamepad, that it may take me a while to get used to using a mouse & keyboard. But I know there are some games that are easier to play with mouse and keyboard. 

I don't know if DualSense is that well supported on PC. Xbox controllers have never given me trouble and I think they've had official support for longer, likely due to being on Windows and the Xbox 360 controller being for Games for Windows LIVE as well as consoles. So that might be the issue. Another problem with controller sensitivity is you may have to change it per game as others have suggested; with gaming mice you usually have presets and macros which will apply to just about every game with some exceptions, but controllers often require that extra bit of tweaking. 😞

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I really need to try utilizing mouse and keyboard more often, just to see if I get overall better performance than a controller. I remember hearing back in the day, that when I played COD for example, PC gamers would often say they were better than console gamers. I can't say for certain if that's true, but I imagine they do have some more control with the mouse. But I'm so used to a gamepad, that it may take me a while to get used to using a mouse & keyboard. But I know there are some games that are easier to play with mouse and keyboard. 

With aim assist being incorporated in more and more PC games, especially those with crossplay (Halo: Infinite being infamous for this), you're not getting that much more of an edge unless you're exceptionally good with KB&M. Stick with what you know best and ultimately whatever's more comfortable, the performance increase isn't that big a deal and you're not - as far as I'm aware - playing at eSport level in these sorts of games.

I had to bring up this topic of joystick sensitivity at work with my friends and one them vehemently told me that it's as a result of controller configuration that he had to move away from buying consoles. According to him, the last time he decided to play The Last Of Us, the sensitivity was so bad for him that enemies can run faster then he can even aim with the highest configuration settings. He even tried to make use of aim assist and it made it worst by slowing him down generally in play. 

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I remember hearing back in the day, that when I played COD for example, PC gamers would often say they were better than console gamers

I don't believe it's true, if you suck at the game you suck at it , using a mouse  or controller doesn't make you a lot more better at it.

I don't think controller drift will ever go away. I know the switch has their fare share of problems with joycon drift, but really that issue comes up with most controllers I have owned, at least the Xbox 360/Xbox one side of the coin. Each controller I ever had, ended up breaking down. Maybe it was because I played a lot of COD and I found that the left analog stick was the one that caused the most problems. Sadly, I don't think you can fix it, so I always ended up buying a new controller instead. It sucks, but I guess that happens when you game so damn much that the controllers start to die out. 😞 

19 hours ago, Clasher said:

I don't believe it's true, if you suck at the game you suck at it , using a mouse  or controller doesn't make you a lot more better at it.

I wouldn't really say that because take for instance with someone who's never played using mouse or keyboard, it's definitely going to be very difficult for him to adapt immediately trying to switch from playing with console controller. It's never that easy. The new set of controls will hamper how good they play at the game for a while before they start getting used to it which will take long. 

On 7/19/2022 at 7:32 PM, Kane99 said:

I would say something like an RTS would be much better to play with a keyboard and mouse. Though that has more to do with the nature of how those games play as opposed to anything skill related.

In regards to keyboard and mouse making you better at FPS games, I noticed it was primarily the low tier competitive players bragging the most about what equipment they have that makes them superior to the filthy casuals. They get super salty when you beat them with “inferior” equipment because they believe owning that stuff makes you a better gamer.

You gotta buy a mechanical keyboard because it gives you milliseconds of an advantage, and it has to be a PS2 mechanical keyboard, because those don’t have key rollover like a USB keyboard. So buy a motherboard that has PS2 inputs.

Oh, sorry, I just beat you with a cheap $20 off-brand 360 controller…

10 minutes ago, Grungie said:

I would say something like an RTS would be much better to play with a keyboard and mouse. Though that has more to do with the nature of how those games play as opposed to anything skill related.

In regards to keyboard and mouse making you better at FPS games, I noticed it was primarily the low tier competitive players bragging the most about what equipment they have that makes them superior to the filthy casuals. They get super salty when you beat them with “inferior” equipment because they believe owning that stuff makes you a better gamer.

You gotta buy a mechanical keyboard because it gives you milliseconds of an advantage, and it has to be a PS2 mechanical keyboard, because those don’t have key rollover like a USB keyboard. So buy a motherboard that has PS2 inputs.

Oh, sorry, I just beat you with a cheap $20 off-brand 360 controller…

Spot on.  Your choice of peripherals can make a difference depending on what game your playing but it's not as big difference as those idiots seem to think.  The only thing that can make you truly better is practice, regardless of what your using.

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

I wouldn't really say that because take for instance with someone who's never played using mouse or keyboard, it's definitely going to be very difficult for him to adapt immediately trying to switch from playing with console controller. It's never that easy. The new set of controls will hamper how good they play at the game for a while before they start getting used to it which will take long. 

I get your point, but I don't think that's what kane was trying to say.

He was stating that a gamer using the PC(keyboard or mouse) is often more better at COD than someone using a controller or playing from a console and that's why I said what I said.

So that doesn't actually relate to the point you are trying to pass across.