Register Now
StaceyPowers

Reasons why games are unfinished unless you get a DLC?

I'd better say before this thread hots up: attribute not to malice what could as easily be attributed to incompetence. Sure, sometimes it's that nebulous but all-encompassing and satisfying answer of 'greed', and sometimes the incompetency comes from greed. For instance, the game being rushed out because of developer/publisher greed; they want to cut corners and costs and make their money back instantly. There are times when it's just due to management clashes or ineptitude, concepts taking longer to decide upon than the actual coding process, contract negotiation failures and expectations versus reality.

It's my understanding that DLC that completes a story is usually added after the initial contract has been fulfilled by studio for the publisher. They've got the game out, and they'll receive additional funding to partake in other projects, one of which may be a more artistically driven one such as providing a more complete experience. Others, such as the case of Mass Effect 3, were due to backlash. It may be that the initial contract stated the game was to release and then afterwards a number of DLCs are expected: what better way to tick off one of those boxes than to cut out the ending, but then I'm just going for the lazy, paranoid criticism of 'laziness' myself.

So while I'm sure no developer/publisher plans for an/the ending to be released as content, it may be the reality for that particular game. Or indeed it may be greed. I've no evidence to suggest any of the above.

• Greed - leaving the story unfinished, you're more or less forced to buy the DLC/DLCs which is a really scummy practice.
  • Issues with Publisher so the game was released when it was unfinished and the gaming studio releases a DLC to finish the story.

Depends on the game. With the Mass Effect series for example, they released free DLC after the third game to correct some of the issues fans had with the ending. This was only done because fans were unhappy their choices resulted in pretty much the same ending, or so I've heard. So, they made a new ending and gave it out for free. 

But, there are games that come out unfinished, and try to shell out DLC to make extra cash, when their focus should be on making their game better. 

DLC should only be used to add to an already completed game, not to finish it off. I don't think it's fair to spend $60+ for a new game, beat it and then find out that there's DLC that continues the story. I don't mind if they release DLC that creates a whole new story and is in a new setting, or an updated setting to the base game. But when they literally just add a few missions to the base game, I don't like that. 

I especially hate when studios announce a game, and show DLC to come out after. Seriously, why not add those characters/items in first before release? It's because they want to keep making money. I get that, but it just feels shady to me. 

All about making money isn't it, make or made the base game and then make money by having DLCs and yet the base game depends on how old the game is can be cheap. The only way I'm ever ok with this is if it's clearly advertised as being in early access, like many games on Steam. I mean I'll even occasionally see AAA games that run/play WAY worse than even games that just dropped into early access recently.

4 hours ago, Empire said:

All about making money isn't it, make or made the base game and then make money by having DLCs and yet the base game depends on how old the game is can be cheap. The only way I'm ever ok with this is if it's clearly advertised as being in early access, like many games on Steam. I mean I'll even occasionally see AAA games that run/play WAY worse than even games that just dropped into early access recently.

True, but it sucks to get a game brand new, and then hear there's DLC to continue the story. I don't mind when they do a different story, or extend the story for another character. But when they try to sell you DLC that is intended to add to the end game, it kinda feels wrong. Like, why isn't that a part of the base game, and why do I have to pay for it? If it's free that's fine, i'll accept that. But if it's a paid DLC, then nah, I think that's wrong. 

Early access makes sense, because it clearly states it's a work in progress. But there are many games that come out way before they're ready. But they don't say they're a work in progress like those early access games, so it just pisses off the gamers out there. 

Maybe i'm missing the point but i can't really think off that many games that diden't have an ending of some sorts wheter or not the ending is satisfying i'll leave in between but a game where the ending is paid dlc nah that would be a huge middle finger to fans and gamers in general. The only game i can really think off that did this with paid Dlc was Asura's Wrath where you had to pay to unlock the true ending and capcom got a lot of backlash for it, remember that time capcom completly lost it in the early 2010's, this is was one of their many "brilliant" anti consumer ideas. 

Another one that isen't as drastic is the Fate of atlantis Dlc of assins creed odyssey where if you diden't play it missed out on a lot of the modern day story and never get to know what happened in the ancient city. Offcourse wheter or not you're missing out much is up for debate since modern day ac is usually the least interesting part of ac games.

Edited by Yaramaki

I could see it as another different form of a wicked microtransactions for the game. It all bothers down to excess greed from the company as all they are after is making money and even doing it to the extent of not having the game content complete unless you are forced to buy a DLC. I'm definitely staying out of buying such games. 

The Broken Steel DLC for Fallout 3 has got to be the very worst example of this. Without the add-on, the game literally just stops with the story half told. It's actually a good DLC to tell the truth, but it was clearly always supposed to be part of the story. I am all for expansions, I don't mind supporting a good game post release, but not like this.

On 7/15/2022 at 2:28 PM, Empire said:

Yeah, that's a practice that I believe would stick with the gaming industry for a very long time because they can't simply stop being eyes fixated on getting those money from gamers. It's why the use of microtransactions are getting worse by the day. So, using the DLC's in this manner is another way to make more money off the game for them. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, that's a practice that I believe would stick with the gaming industry for a very long time because they can't simply stop being eyes fixated on getting those money from gamers. It's why the use of microtransactions are getting worse by the day. So, using the DLC's in this manner is another way to make more money off the game for them. 

thehunter call of the wild, Great game, cost me $60 when it was frist released, now days you can pick it up on sales at a low price of $5 and it's cheap. Yet they are always doing DLCs of maps and whatnot, and expect to pay max of $15 at a time that's only 3GB in size LOL

3 hours ago, Empire said:

thehunter call of the wild, Great game, cost me $60 when it was frist released, now days you can pick it up on sales at a low price of $5 and it's cheap. Yet they are always doing DLCs of maps and whatnot, and expect to pay max of $15 at a time that's only 3GB in size LOL

This is practically the reason one of my friend Tony is always of the habit of waiting for the game's prices to drop very well before he thinks of buying them. It doesn't matter to him how long he'd wait for it as long as the games are worth it in the end. 

On 7/14/2022 at 8:27 AM, Withywarlock said:

I'd better say before this thread hots up: attribute not to malice what could as easily be attributed to incompetence. Sure, sometimes it's that nebulous but all-encompassing and satisfying answer of 'greed', and sometimes the incompetency comes from greed. For instance, the game being rushed out because of developer/publisher greed; they want to cut corners and costs and make their money back instantly. There are times when it's just due to management clashes or ineptitude, concepts taking longer to decide upon than the actual coding process, contract negotiation failures and expectations versus reality.

It's my understanding that DLC that completes a story is usually added after the initial contract has been fulfilled by studio for the publisher. They've got the game out, and they'll receive additional funding to partake in other projects, one of which may be a more artistically driven one such as providing a more complete experience. Others, such as the case of Mass Effect 3, were due to backlash. It may be that the initial contract stated the game was to release and then afterwards a number of DLCs are expected: what better way to tick off one of those boxes than to cut out the ending, but then I'm just going for the lazy, paranoid criticism of 'laziness' myself.

So while I'm sure no developer/publisher plans for an/the ending to be released as content, it may be the reality for that particular game. Or indeed it may be greed. I've no evidence to suggest any of the above.

This is definitely the reason why those video game developers who intentionally with hold some certain aspects of a game just so they could release the DLC and have gamers pay some extra bucks for a game they've already purchased.

Though I the reason for this isn't actually fully explained by game developers but  greed and incompetence combined actually adds to the equation.

20 hours ago, Heatman said:

This is practically the reason one of my friend Tony is always of the habit of waiting for the game's prices to drop very well before he thinks of buying them. It doesn't matter to him how long he'd wait for it as long as the games are worth it in the end. 

Far enought but it's max before you have to think that it's not worth buying it since they release a new game or stopp supporting that game.