Register Now
StaceyPowers

Worst instances of metagaming in MMOs ever?

I think my least favourite instance had to come from World of Warcraft toward the end of the Mists of Pandaria expansion. It was when instant boosts to the current level cap were being offered by Blizzard for real money, as they do every expansion. The problem was that warlocks were being boosted and slowing down the 'Looking for Raid' mode considerably because they were so bad at the class. The reason warlocks were so favourable is because they'd seen a significant boost in MoP: between the secondary resources (Demonic Power and Burning Embers) and the Kanrethad Ebonlocke quest chain for the green fire cosmetic spell effect, they'd become insanely popular... but this would change in the upcoming expansion, Warlords of Draenor. Because everyone was getting revamped. The game was going to change dramatically for everyone.

Metagaming in WoW has been around since its inception and just about every class has had a go at being flavour-of-the-month (FOTM), but that was one of the most significant times for its effect on player-versus-environment (PvE) gameplay in addition to player-versus-player content.

I don’t allow metagaming but I am also a roleplay heavy GM/player. I would explain it as Tabletop games typically have a role playing aspect and trying to probe a monster’s weaknesses adds to the the fun of combat and even the threat of combat. For question 3. It depends how u wanna approach it You can say okay you wanna look up the stats, then “swap” the stats and abilities with a similar creature or even just swap the vulnerabilities to different ones. You can also approach it as a discussion for the whole table and let the player know that doing that can ruin the game for the whole party because the game isn’t played alone, so the other player’s opinions and feelings matter as well.

On 7/15/2022 at 12:12 PM, killamch89 said:

Metagaming during Roleplaying in MMOs is a no-no for me. I can't really name any situations because I've not been in any bizarre ones at all.

For me, the worst instances of metagaming I experienced were:

1-Admin in a game that flat-out cheated in an event. They rest of the team denied it for years, and then fired him for doing it again later.

2-Friend in game was sexually harassed by her in-game girlfriend. Player of said girlfriend turned out to be RL boyfriend of another game admin. He got away with it with game admin's help.

3-I was working super hard for a faction in a game. Turned out head of faction's in-game girlfriend was an alt character of a highly-ranked member of enemy faction. No wonder none of our secret plans ever panned out. She was in on all our meetings =D

Edited by StaceyPowers

11 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

3-I was working super hard for a faction in a game. Turned out head of faction's in-game girlfriend was an alt character of a highly-ranked member of enemy faction. No wonder none of our secret plans ever panned out. She was in on all our meetings =D

Getting snitched on with all of your faction plans because you can't be sure of your faction members loyalty can be very difficult to deal with it. This is one thing that's made me never to give a thought to playing this way because I hate it when all my efforts goes for nothing. 

On 7/16/2022 at 10:35 PM, StaceyPowers said:

For me, the worst instances of metagaming I experienced were:

1-Admin in a game that flat-out cheated in an event. They rest of the team denied it for years, and then fired him for doing it again later.

2-Friend in game was sexually harassed by her in-game girlfriend. Player of said girlfriend turned out to be RL boyfriend of another game admin. He got away with it with game admin's help.

Wish I payed more attention to certain meta gaming scenerios but every single time I am more interested in the game play and not what goes on around it.

This are some really hilarious instances and why is it always the in-game girlfriends that causes the most havoc Everytime, maybe I won't consider having one either. Lol

On 7/17/2022 at 1:37 AM, Heatman said:

Getting snitched on with all of your faction plans because you can't be sure of your faction members loyalty can be very difficult to deal with it. This is one thing that's made me never to give a thought to playing this way because I hate it when all my efforts goes for nothing. 

The funniest and most painful part to me was that it was literally the girlfriend of the person giving me my orders who was reporting the plans =D