Register Now
Kane99

GameStop launches NFT marketplace as it hunts for growth in digital-fueled turnaround

Well I thought consoles with NFT options was bad, now I hear that Gamestop is getting into the NFT game. I guess any reason to try and keep this company afloat as much as possible. But I don't see NFTs being the saviour they hope for. I don't see this succeeding at all, especially with how things are going with Gamestop. To me it sounds like a last ditch effort to make money for them. Supposedly it will allow you to connect your digital wallets and buy/sell NFT style items. And I guess gaming will be added to the mix at some point. 

Read more here - https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/11/gamestop-launches-nft-marketplace-as-it-hunts-for-growth-online.html

Think it's a dumb move? Will Gamestop fail yet again? 

NFTs got a bad rep since it was a bubble that made it popular and morons bought ape images and made them "worth" millions. But now you start seeing companies like Ubisoft saying that they're decommissioning an entire lineup of games so even if you dropped $60 2-3 years ago you can't play it anymore after September.

18 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Think it's a dumb move? Will Gamestop fail yet again? 

Yes to both counts. They'll make some money, sure, but realistically speaking it won't be enough to sustain themselves as they currently exist. @Empire mentions Ubisoft who recently abandoned their Quartz programme, and when they're no longer digging in their heels with their bad ideas, that ought to tell you even they know something's gone irreparably wrong.

How on Earth do GameStop plan to do a better job than Ubi at pitching, marketing and selling these besides making a headline (which is all most gaming companies have done with their own NFTs)? I suspect the only way this will remotely look like a success is how I suspect Konami did: buy out their own stock.

Gamestop is terrible and should just do what they really want to do and become what they've always been destined to be; which is a pawn shop.

Just go for it Gamestop. Change into your final boss form. You never know, there have been some pretty huge gaming pawn shops, but this place is a dishonest disgrace giving people pennies for games in some cases. That said: I've bought like 2 items at a Gamestop in the past 15 plus years.

Well, it's very obvious that everyone and company out there is looking for the opportunity to take a huge bite on the NFTs crap that's been going on for a long time now. I'm not surprised with the moves made by Gamestop with regards to this as it's all part of the mode of operation.

On 8/21/2022 at 12:35 AM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Gamestop is terrible and should just do what they really want to do and become what they've always been destined to be; which is a pawn shop.

Just go for it Gamestop. Change into your final boss form. You never know, there have been some pretty huge gaming pawn shops, but this place is a dishonest disgrace giving people pennies for games in some cases. That said: I've bought like 2 items at a Gamestop in the past 15 plus years.

That's the direction they're pretty much going into to. The last I heard of the gamestop near me, they mostly sell action figures and funko pops, and have less and less video games than they used to. 

I haven't purchased from Gamestop since probably GTA V on the 360. So 2013 or so. 

On 8/21/2022 at 5:35 AM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

It's pretty much the pattern of most of them. NFT is driving just about everyone of them crazy now and they are not going to rest till they have believed to have gotten enough of it. Even with all the bad rep surrounding NFTs, they are not discouraged. 

With the NFT market collapsing because of the state of the Crypto market, this is a very a stupid move. I mean, Ubisoft has started to backpedal and say that their NFT marketplace was only a "test". Furthermore, NFTs are demonized in every industry outside of Crypto and even in Crypto, it's not rated very highly compared to other aspects of Crypto.

On 9/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, killamch89 said:

With the NFT market collapsing because of the state of the Crypto market, this is a very a stupid move. I mean, Ubisoft has started to backpedal and say that their NFT marketplace was only a "test". Furthermore, NFTs are demonized in every industry outside of Crypto and even in Crypto, it's not rated very highly compared to other aspects of Crypto.

The crypto market is collapsing so is every other thing related to it at this time is risky to invest in any of them but it's not completely a bad idea too.