Register Now
Justin11

Why do female athletes earn so low compared to what the male athletes earn on a weekly basis?

I remembered one certain time in football, when a news headline reviewed that, Neymar Jr's annual  salary of £32.9m can be enough to pay top seven female football leagues in the world with combined annual salary of £32.8m of 1,639 female players combined. Such got me devastated, and pushed me so hard asking this question. 

Read further to learn about how Neymar Jr's annual salary cap can handle 1,639 female players annual salary 

You remembered the statement that says, what men can do, women can do better with much delight. Why aren't they doing better in terms of wages paid out for services they offer to their various teams in all forms of sports? 

I can't remember the type of sport game, either individual or collectively, where females earn more than their male counterparts. If I'm mistaking, please correct me, so I can learn a new thing thank you. 

Edited by Justin11

The significant gap in terms of talent and skill is the reason. Put some lower league player to play against a top woman's team and he'll embarass them. Think I'm being sexist?

Just take a look for yourself:

In addition to that, it's just all around less entertaining and way less physical and fast-paced as men's football. The more skilled and entertaining players bring in the money - simple as.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

The significant gap in terms of talent and skill is the reason. Put some lower league player to play against a top woman's team and he'll embarass them. Think I'm being sexist?

In addition to that, it's just all around less entertaining and way less physical and fast-paced as men's football. The more skilled and entertaining players bring in the money - simple as.

Oh really?  You post a 13 second video of some amateurs in a park and you think that proves that the woman's game is "just all around less entertaining and way less physical and fast-paced as men's football.".  So yes, I'd say you are being sexist and that is complete bullshit!  Don't believe me? Here is some footage of the ACTUAL pros.

Now before you twist my words I'm not saying that, for the sake of argument that if you were to put the Chelsea Women's team up against the Men's team that they could beat them.  I'm not necessarily saying they definitely couldn't either but it's safe to say the Mens team would have an advantage.

Does that mean the woman's game isn't worth giving any attention to?  Absolutely fucking not and that's bullshit I'm calling you out for.  Even if you decide that don't like the woman's game (although I suspect that you haven't actually watched a professional woman's match in your entire life) that fact that it's there is still a good thing.  The more that can participate the better.

On the actual topic I agree in principle that male and female athletes should be earning the same, but there is two undeniable problems

1. Despite the rise in popularity of women's sports over recent years (football especially) they generally don't draw the same kind of sponsorship in order to pay their players the same.
  2. This isn't how most sporting contracts in general.  How much a team compensates their players and/team depends on multiple external factors like success, experience, merchandise sales, sponsorships, public perception and more.  There's this interview with Former UFC Champion Ronda Rousey who pretty sums it up perfectly:

The truth is that although the gender pay gap exists in sport (and denying that would be the mark of a fool), it's exists for reasons that have nothing directly to do with gender.  Leah Williamson and Harry Kane are both Captains of the English National Football Team but he is earning at least 10 times as much for the simple reason that the kind of money that would be needed for equal pay just isn't in the pipeline of the woman's game.  It's not fair but no simple solution.  Equal pay may come eventually but it's going to take time.

Edited by Crazycrab

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Oh really?  You post a 13 second video of some amateurs in a park and you think that proves that the woman's game is "just all around less entertaining and way less physical and fast-paced as men's football.".  So yes, I'd say you are being sexist and that is complete bullshit!  Don't believe me? Here is some footage of the ACTUAL pros.

Now before you twist my words I'm not saying that, for the sake of argument that if you were to put the Chelsea Women's team up against the Men's team that they could beat them.  I'm not necessarily saying they definitely couldn't either but it's safe to say the Mens team would have an advantage.

Does that mean the woman's game isn't worth giving any attention to?  Absolutely fucking not and that's bullshit I'm calling you out for.  Even if you decide that don't like the woman's game (although I suspect that you haven't actually watched a professional woman's match in your entire life) that fact that it's there is still a good thing.  The more that can participate the better.

On the actual topic I agree in principle that male and female athletes should be earning the same, but there is two undeniable problems

1. Despite the rise in popularity of women's sports over recent years (football especially) they generally don't draw the same kind of sponsorship in order to pay their players the same.
  2. This isn't how most sporting contracts in general.  How much a team compensates their players and/team depends on multiple external factors like success, experience, merchandise sales, sponsorships, public perception and more.  There's this interview with Former UFC Champion Ronda Rousey who pretty sums it up perfectly:

The truth is that although the gender pay gap exists in sport (and denying that would be the mark of a fool), it's exists for reasons that have nothing directly to do with gender.  Leah Williamson and Harry Kane are both Captains of the English National Football Team but he is earning at least 10 times as much for the simple reason that the kind of money that would be needed for equal pay just isn't in the pipeline of the woman's game.  It's not fair but no simple solution.  Equal pay may come eventually but it's going to take time.

The video I showed previously is a sunday league player vs a professional women's football team. A sunday league player is the average joe who comes out of his house to play football on Sundays.

I can show you just as many videos of women being absolutely garbage at football.

Furthermore, most women aren't in sports anyways so they won't watch it either. Majority of sports watchers are males so that's who sponsorship will cater to, whoever brings in the most money and provide the most entertainment. Women's football and women's sport in general lacks the aggression and physicality of male sports and that is what makes it entertaining.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'm not going to mince my words, what you just posted is not just obviously wrong, it's disgusting.

@Crazycrab clearly put up a lot of evidence to your contrary about the quality of the woman's game and left your argument so utterly destroyed there is no point in me taking that any further, so what I'll do instead in explain why there is such a big wage gap between men and woman in professional football, because it's actually very simple.

Football for men has been a professional sport for around 150 years. In that time, it has grown, developed, gained in popularity, gained investment and a following to become an industry in of itself worth $billions. The men in the sport are paid far too much and that's a product, or perhaps a mishandling, of the time the men's game has had to grow. It had all that traction without rival, and not to mention many decades to grow into the, frankly, lucrative world it is today. The woman's game, by contrast, has not only been a professional sport for a mere 30 years or so and has thusly not had the time to grow into lucrative world the men's game is. It's also got that men's game as a commercial rival, creating a challenge to get this off the ground that men's game didn't even have to contend with. The woman's game quite simply has not had that chance to become what the men's game is. It's only been in the last few years I've seen the woman's game get at least some sort of push by mainstream media at all.

That little insight was my favour to you, and that's all you get from me as I'm not interested in spending my time on here debating with a sexist little twirp. I know you posted again as I was typing this, but I don't care. Got help you when the day comes you actually have to deal with woman in the real world.

Edited by Shagger

1 minute ago, Shagger said:

I'm not going to mince my words, what you just posted is just obviously wrong, it's disgusting.

@Crazycrab clearly put up a lot of evidence to you contrary about the quality of the woman's game and left your argument so utterly destroyed there is no point in me taking that any further, so what I'll do instead in explain why there is such a big wage gap between men and woman in professional football, because it's actually very simple.

Football for men has been a professional sport for around 150 years, In that time, it has grown, developed, gained in popularity, gained investment and a following to become an industry in of itself worth $billions. The men is the sport are paid far too much and that's a product, or perhaps a mishandling, of the time the men's game has had to grow. It had all that traction without rival, and not to mention many decades to grow into the, frankly, lucrative world it is today. The woman's game, by contrast, has not only been a professional sport for a mere 30 years or so, and has thusly not had the time to grow into lucrative world the men's game is, it's also got that men's game as a commercial rival. The woman's game quite simply has not had that chance to become what the men's game is. It's only been in the last few years I've seen seen the woman's game get at least some sort of push by mainstream media.

That little insight was my favour to you, and that's all you get from me as I'm not interested in spending my time of here debating with a sexist little twirp. I know you posted again as I was typing this, but don't care. Got help you when the day comes you actually have to deal with woman in real life.

Call me what you want - I don't care but the fact is Women's football is not as entertaining and that has nothing to do with gender. But of course, you're going to cry about it...

42 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

The video I showed previously is a sunday league player vs a professional women's football team. A sunday league player is the average joe who comes out of his house to play football on Sundays.

I can show you just as many videos of women being absolutely garbage at football.

Furthermore, most women aren't in sports anyways so they won't watch it either. Majority of sports watchers are males so that's who sponsorship will cater to, whoever brings in the most money and provide the most entertainment. Women's football and women's sport in general lacks the aggression and physicality of male sports and that is what makes it entertaining.

Oh look, a video showing professional male players doing a bunch of dumb shit!

Your selective bullshit proves fuck all you sexist twat!  If you just go on to YouTube and type "women being absolutely garbage at football." Then what do you expect to find?  Now do us all a favour and stop embarrassing yourself.

Edited by Crazycrab

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Call me what you want - I don't care but the fact is Women's football is not as entertaining and that has nothing to do with gender. But of course, you're going to cry about it...

As gender is the only discerned difference between the two, it's obviously got everything to do with gender. Whether you're aware of that or not, that is you issue with the woman's game.

9 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Oh look, a video showing professional male players doing a bunch of dumb shit!

Your selective bullshit proves fuck all you sexist twat!  If you just go on to YouTube and type "women being absolutely garbage at football." Then what do you expect to find?  Now do us all a favour and stop embarrassing yourself.

Cry all you want mate - still won't bother me. The fact that you and @Shagger are so triggered by this is hilarious. Namecalling won't get you both anywhere - all it proves is that you're both so childish and emotional that anyone who shares a different view to your own is automatically a sexist, misogynistic etc. I mean @Justin11 and @Clasher don't always agree on everything but I don't hear them ever acting nowhere like this. We can agree to disagree and that's what I like about them. I'm done arguing with you both because this childish back and forth is beneath me.

1 minute ago, killamch89 said:

Cry all you want mate - still won't bother me. The fact that you and @Shagger are so triggered by this is hilarious. Namecalling won't get you both anywhere - all it proves is that you're both so childish and emotional that anyone who shares a different view to your own is automatically a sexist, misogynistic etc. I mean @Justin11 and @Clasher don't always agree on everything but I don't hear them ever acting nowhere like this. We can agree to disagree and that's what I like about them. I'm done arguing with you both because this childish back and forth is beneath me.

You're the one that can't handle woman playing football for money, that's offensive to you, and yet we're the triggered ones? The same thing every time with you so "Get woke, go broke" idiots. You call us "snowflakes" and triggered" when it's you lot are hyper offended by anything that threatens your vulnerable masculinity. Woman in sports, women in the workplace, woman in power, women pretty much anywhere other than in front of an ironing board or a baby's changing table because there you don't feel threatened by them. You're the one that has issues here, and they extend well beyond some stupid argument about woman's football.

To be honest, I don't actually watch football at all anymore, but I do watch women in other sports including one that is traditionally dominated my men, motorsports. I can enjoy the w-series with feeling like less of a man because I'm comfortable with my masculinity. You see, I'm not as sensitive as you are, I'm not weak like you are. That's why I don't disguise my reality that woman are at least equal to me. You're the easily offended, triggered snowflake here.

Let me tell you though, there's no reason to be so upset because just there's woman out there who would tan your ass at football, it's doesn't make you less of a man. I think you need a a hug...

have-a-hug-icegif.gif.51c8ce20bfb9a632f8a70dd2aa27e513.gif

2 minutes ago, Clasher said:

Women actually do well in football and deserves to be paid as much as the men.

It's just weird that despite the rapid growth of football all over the world the women are still not paid as much as men.

I agree with you, that's just the point I'm still emphasizing till today. Why will the women earn so low when they offer their best in the field of play? They do same thing like their male counterparts, still, they're marginalized and underpaid. Look at the gap between the highest paid female footballer and the male highest paid footballer you'll get a clear view of what I'm saying. When I checked earlier, Neymar Jr was the highest paid with '€600k+ weekly earnings, while the highest paid female footballer earned around €7,000+ weekly. 

1 minute ago, Justin11 said:

I agree with you, that's just the point I'm still emphasizing till today. Why will the women earn so low when they offer their best in the field of play? They do same thing like their male counterparts, still, they're marginalized and underpaid. Look at the gap between the highest paid female footballer and the male highest paid footballer you'll get a clear view of what I'm saying. When I checked earlier, Neymar Jr was the highest paid with '€600k+ weekly earnings, while the highest paid female footballer earned around €7,000+ weekly. 

I could only imagine how those female players would feel knowing that they give as much value in terms of talents and performance but their male counterparts earn more than 500 times their pay on a weekly basis.

There has Been a time when FIFA has promised to look into the gross marginalization and give the players their due reward, even if they are not paid exactly like the male counterparts atleast they could better than they are doing now.

32 minutes ago, Clasher said:

I could only imagine how those female players would feel knowing that they give as much value in terms of talents and performance but their male counterparts earn more than 500 times their pay on a weekly basis.

There has Been a time when FIFA has promised to look into the gross marginalization and give the players their due reward, even if they are not paid exactly like the male counterparts atleast they could better than they are doing now.

FIFA said it, but since then what have they done to breach the huge gap in salary a little bit? I didn't say they should make female footballers earn the same like the male footballers. The gap at this time is just so big, I don't see the gap getting breached anytime soon. 

3 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

FIFA said it, but since then what have they done to breach the huge gap in salary a little bit? I didn't say they should make female footballers earn the same like the male footballers. The gap at this time is just so big, I don't see the gap getting breached anytime soon. 

It's not just big it's outrageous , imagine two individuals working in the same office doing exactly the same job but one is paid a million bucks and the other is paid just a few thousand and isn't even as celebrated as the other.

That's exactly the case  in football right now, female competition still fills up stadiums just like the female team of Barcelona filling up the 90,000 capacity camp nou.

They could do something about it but they just choose not to.