Register Now
StaceyPowers

If you can’t complete a game because of a bug, what is your next move?

If you put dozens of hours into a game which then has a terminal bug that prevents you from completing it, what do you do next? Immediately reinstall it or install it on another system and start over? Take a long break and then start over? Give up completely?

If there's no workaround with the bug in order for me to complete the game, I don't think that it's something that I would be putting myself through the stress of playing it all over again. I'd have to go with the option of moving away from it, yes it's going to pain me but what other choices do I have? 

Then next is getting rid of the game. I can't continue playing a game that can't let me continue my progress to unblock other chapters and possibly finishing the game. Normally, I am not the kind that finishes a game I enter, I love playing and taking pleasure from the game. But I wouldn't love it when bugs are slowing me down from touching down other unopened chapters. 

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

Then next is getting rid of the game. I can't continue playing a game that can't let me continue my progress to unblock other chapters and possibly finishing the game. Normally, I am not the kind that finishes a game I enter, I love playing and taking pleasure from the game. But I wouldn't love it when bugs are slowing me down from touching down other unopened chapters. 

I wouldn't really uninstall the game if it's what you meant by getting ride of the game. There's always a possibility that the bug would be patched up by the developers, so I can wait for it to be sorted out and then I can play and complete the game. 

13 hours ago, Heatman said:

I wouldn't really uninstall the game if it's what you meant by getting ride of the game. There's always a possibility that the bug would be patched up by the developers, so I can wait for it to be sorted out and then I can play and complete the game. 

What if the patch cost similar to the amount you bought just because you want to get rid of the bugs, will you go on to install the patch on that price? 

I wouldn't update any patch, when the game is faced with groundbreaking bugs, I'll just cut y loses down, than trying to make it work. 

Well, should not be any bugs unless it's early early access games, in that case report the game, maybe get an answer and if there is another option to bypass it then do so, if you can't and really stuck, all you can do is wait for the bugs to be fixed or if the game is no longer supported then might have to use a cheat option if there is one out there that supports it. 

The most viable option is to try an find out if other individuals playing that same game is experiencing the bug and if there is a solution to it.

If I am not too attached to the video game I just move on to another if there isn't any solution to it , starting the game afresh would just be too boring for me.

I might attempt to report the bug, especially if it's game breaking and I paid money for the game. If the bug isn't fixed, I may feel I'm owed a refund, which I may request. Or I'll just leave a bad review and complain to them on social media. 😄

1. (If available as an option) Report the bug.
  2. (If available as an option) Fix the bug myself, to which I include reinstalling/clearing cache, etc.
  3. Reload an older save and hope to skirt around the bug.
  4. Quit.

I don't see how there's many more options besides skirting around it by doing side-activities if available. If I'm reviewing it, my review notes cease immediately and my article begins disclosing where the game abruptly ends. I suppose that's one the advantage of reviewing (post)-Day One: I don't have to wait or care for a patch. It is what it is, being sold for money right now.

Recently I had a bug in Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly wherein I couldn't 100% complete the game because a rather long mini-game (a slide activity) was broken on the PS2 version. Whether it was the game or the emulator I couldn't say, so my fix was to play the GameCube version on the Dolphin emulator. Not quite the fix I was looking for, mind...

Edited by Withywarlock

On 7/18/2022 at 8:05 AM, Justin11 said:

What if the patch cost similar to the amount you bought just because you want to get rid of the bugs, will you go on to install the patch on that price? 

I wouldn't update any patch, when the game is faced with groundbreaking bugs, I'll just cut y loses down, than trying to make it work. 

What do you mean by patch cost similar to the amount you bought the game? You don't pay for game patches to fix bugs. It's DLC's that you pay for and not upgrade patches to fix the game's bugs. 

On 7/19/2022 at 11:46 AM, Heatman said:

What do you mean by patch cost similar to the amount you bought the game? You don't pay for game patches to fix bugs. It's DLC's that you pay for and not upgrade patches to fix the game's bugs. 

You say that, but it's happened before. When the original Dungeon Keeper first launched, it was really buggy, especially the AI. About a year later, they came out with Dungeon Keeper Gold that included the Deeper Dungeons Expansion, but it was also heavily patched and fixed a lot of the game's issues, but if you wanted those fixes you had to buy this new version. If you only had the original, tough luck.

And guess who published it. Seriously, whoever you are reading this, take just one guess and I bet that's all you'll need...

1661216223_09.Front.thumb.jpg.801a65943ce37753935d4f6af50110e1.jpg

1519340740_dkclose.thumb.png.65164a700c661e3cc94aa641f18dd966.png

I know, what a shock.

OK, this was before the days of internet patches, so it's unlikely even EA would try to pull this kind of bullshit again if they wanted too, but I'm sure they could have found a way for people to get an updated version of the original without buying the Deeper Dungeons. This was a huge dick move even by thier standards.

Edited by Shagger

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

You say that, but it's happened before. When the original Dungeon Keeper first launched, it really buggy, especially the AI. About a year later, they came out with Dungeon Keeper Gold that included the Deeper Dungeons Expansion, but it was also heavily patched and fixed a lot of the game's issues, but if wanted those fixes you had to buy this new version. If you only had the original, tough luck.

And guess who published it. Seriously, whoever you are reading this, take just one guess and I bet that's all you'll need...

1661216223_09.Front.thumb.jpg.801a65943ce37753935d4f6af50110e1.jpg

1519340740_dkclose.thumb.png.65164a700c661e3cc94aa641f18dd966.png

I know, what a shock.

OK, this was before the days of internet patches, so it's unlikely even EA would try to pull this kind of bullshit again if they wanted too, but I'm sure they could have found a way for people to get an updated version of the original without buying the Deeper Dungeons. This was a huge dick move even by thier standards.

My guess was as good as your explanation of that being pulled off before the days of internet patches because that's the only way they would have been able to get it done that way. 

On getting to the point where you asked to guess who was the publisher, it was between EA and Ubisoft that crossed my mind because those two companies are the worst at such kind of practices. 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

I believe @Shagger explained it better for you? When you download the DLC, it comes with a patch to fix bugs/glitches around the game, which gives you better gaming  experience. 

People are forgetting that some patches cost the studios money. At least that's the way it was years ago on the 360 and ps3 days. I remember when konami didn't do a patch for the silent hill hd collection because it would cost them to do it. And konami just let it be and didn't release a patch on the 360 version.

So in a way, that killed it for a lot of gamers, because the problems were never fixed.