Register Now
StaceyPowers

Weird question about autosaves

22 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Idk if i'd call it feedback so much. I didn't really need to use the manual save all that much. I only used it when I was worried about dying during certain sections. But most of the time I let my auto save do the work. 

Of course, you're free to use manual saves as much as you need I think. If you're worried that the autosave feature isn't working, or it doesn't save proper, then I'd say switch it to manual saves, just make sure to save often. 

I tend to make piles of manual saves out of concern about bugs, but when manual saving is what's causing bugs ... =D

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Idk if i'd call it feedback so much. I didn't really need to use the manual save all that much. I only used it when I was worried about dying during certain sections. But most of the time I let my auto save do the work. 

Of course, you're free to use manual saves as much as you need I think. If you're worried that the autosave feature isn't working, or it doesn't save proper, then I'd say switch it to manual saves, just make sure to save often. 

No matter how good and interesting making use of autosaves sounds which is actually good for some games but it's never going to give me the peace of mind and security making use of manual saves gives me. 

If you know there is a big decision in the game that will change it (such as killing off one, etc.) I'd always recommend avoiding the autosave and manually saving it in case you wanted to see the other direction or see how else the story can evolve from various changes. 

50 minutes ago, Syntax said:

If you know there is a big decision in the game that will change it (such as killing off one, etc.) I'd always recommend avoiding the autosave and manually saving it in case you wanted to see the other direction or see how else the story can evolve from various changes. 

Exactly!! You would never have anything to regret for making use of a manual save option with any of the games that you're playing instead of making use of auto save. Auto saves is very much capable of ruinng everything for you if you're unlucky and not careful. 

On 7/22/2022 at 6:23 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I tend to make piles of manual saves out of concern about bugs, but when manual saving is what's causing bugs ... =D

I have done so in the past. I usually use manual saves before I do something serious in game. Like in RDR2, there is a moment in the game where you can kill a "vampire", and killing him gets you a knife. I decided to save it, because instead of killing him, I was going to capture him and bring him to sheriff. But noticed when I hogtied him, he didn't drop the knife, so I had to reload. 

On 7/23/2022 at 8:16 AM, Heatman said:

No matter how good and interesting making use of autosaves sounds which is actually good for some games but it's never going to give me the peace of mind and security making use of manual saves gives me. 

Of course, it's like a security blanket just in case the auto save features saves in a horrible section. Thankfully with games like RDR2, the autosave feature is pretty good. I haven't had any issues with corrupt files or saving in a bad spot. 

On 7/16/2022 at 2:27 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I have a weird/silly question about autosaves that I should know the answer to, but don’t. If a game makes an autosave, how long does it keep that autosave? Does it stay until the next autosave writes over it? Or does the game dump it out at some other point of time based on space allocations or some other consideration?

Say I have a game where manual saving is causing freezing. Can I just rely on nothing but autosaving until it is over? Or will I randomly lose my progress?

That's going to depend on each game, which means that the answer to your question cannot necessarily be answered. Usually modern day autosaves just re-write over the previous autosave, and a manual save you make will just save right next to it. Modern games don't fill your whole list with a unique auto save each time. 

I think with auto saves, they should make it where you could have multiple ones, just in case. Much like you could with manual saves. Maybe save at intervals, or during certain chapters or something. Because let's face it, some people don't do manual saves all the time, so there's that chance something could come up. 

Idk I think it'd be a nice feature for someone who doesn't use manual saves often. 

You still have that option bro, video game companies can't please us all, they are humans and not super humans. You can decide to make your own adjustment, take the auto save feature and later you can revert to the manual save feature. 

On 8/17/2022 at 12:23 AM, Kane99 said:

Of course, it's like a security blanket just in case the auto save features saves in a horrible section. Thankfully with games like RDR2, the autosave feature is pretty good. I haven't had any issues with corrupt files or saving in a bad spot. 

Exactly!! It gives the gamer more cover just in case something that ordinarily shouldn't happen occurs and he's going to guided. About Red Dead Redemption 2, it's one game that Rockstar did something amazing with almost everything that's linked with the game including its saving modes. 

On 8/24/2022 at 10:44 PM, Heatman said:

Exactly!! It gives the gamer more cover just in case something that ordinarily shouldn't happen occurs and he's going to guided. About Red Dead Redemption 2, it's one game that Rockstar did something amazing with almost everything that's linked with the game including its saving modes. 

I did a lot of saves when I played FIFA or maybe PES , I would usually save my spectacular goals or maybe a really good run I made.

I feel soccer games has a really good save mode and one of the best I have personally used.

I have found that with the amount of games I play with an autosave feature usually it will replace the last autosave that you have every so often when you are playing the game but in some cases you can also make a save yourself as well which will not override when the game autosaves. It varies with each game though I noticed and in some cases, when the game autosaves it will create a new save every time. This doesn't happen with all games but the odd few may have it enabled to do that.