Register Now
Yaramaki

Why do so many games have fishing mechanics in them?

When you think about it, nearly every open world game seems to have fishing of some sorts in them these days wheter it's Ac valhalla, Red dead redemption 2, Yakuza 6, Final Fantasy 15, terraria, hell even the legend of zelda games have fishing in them, even pure Jprgs like the y's series and tale series have fishing in them.

Offcourse then we haven't talked about life simulation games where it has become mandatory to have fishing in them. Needless to say there are a whole slew of games that focus pure on fishing alone that it drives me nuts that fishing is pretty much everywhere.  

My question is Why do so many games have fishing mechanics in them? And do you enjoy it in a game that isen't just about fishing alone?

Wasn't sure wheter or not to answer it myself  but i feel like Devs include fishing mechanics to slown down the pace a bit in an open world game. Obviously to middling success most of the times.

I don't enjoy them all the time like in certain games it feels forced and not needed at all but overall it's a good way to make some money early in the game eventough in most games it's just pressing some buttons and voila you catched something, where realism is far away. 

I have noticed that too in most of the open world games that I have including the one's that you have mentioned in this thread and all I can think of right now about it is maybe game developers are going by that assessment that water covers about 71% of earth and as such they have fishing mechanics always included in those games to support that theory. This is just what I can think of at the moment, and I might be wrong anyways. 

open world games is a game mechanic using virtual world that players are meant to explore.

Been virtual means it quite similar to reality and things that could be done and experienced in reality could be added to it to heighten it's experience.

Fishing is an actually done in a real world so adding it to a virtual world that is meant to mimick the real world isn't such a terrible idea.

Though it could slow the game down a bit but I am still sure there are many Individuals who enjoy it.

I think it's just because it's a relaxing downtime activity. It's a good way to take a break and deal with the sensory overload without quitting. Otherwise I'd just say it's a trend, and one I'm not particularly bothered by the addition of. So long as it has a purpose and is worth the time put into it, I can spend anywhere between five minutes and five hours with it.

Why not have fishing mechanics in games? It adds more to a game and can be fun if done right. RDR2 fishing is simple, but works fine. And it nets you a lot of money in game .

I think when you make more open world games, they may add hunting and fishing in more games. 

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Why not have fishing mechanics in games? It adds more to a game and can be fun if done right. RDR2 fishing is simple, but works fine. And it nets you a lot of money in game .

I think when you make more open world games, they may add hunting and fishing in more games. 

You're right about how good it's used in Red Dead Redemption 2. Even the relaxation that comes from getting into the fishing activity which doesn't just go for nothing as it adds more to your pool of financial resources. I don't have any problems with it in Red Dead Redemption 2 at all. 

Irl fishing is boring, that's why you usually do it with a beer in your hand. You are asking the wrong question. It's not about making fishing fun, it's about if fishing fits your game. Minecraft fishing is boring but i like doing it whilst i listen to a podcast and relax. Should doom have a fishing minigame? Probably not (it would be quite funny though).

1 hour ago, Empire said:

Irl fishing is boring, that's why you usually do it with a beer in your hand. You are asking the wrong question. It's not about making fishing fun, it's about if fishing fits your game. Minecraft fishing is boring but i like doing it whilst i listen to a podcast and relax. Should doom have a fishing minigame? Probably not (it would be quite funny though).

Depending on the person doing the fishing 🎣, if you're not the patient type, it's surely going to be a boring activity for you and you'd feel the same whenever you are faced with the same mechanics in games that you play. 

On having to get a beer whenever you're likely fishing in real life, that's true. I have done that several times and the beer helps 😊

It's even when I came across the first profile picture I used online which I'm still using on FP, it supports your input on the relationship between fishing and drinking beer.. ( This is little bit off topic but bear with me Mods, I just feel like chipping it in) 

13d40749263247e0bc531411e612f816.jpeg.cfc86df280e67f20cb475e37a009e7b2.jpeg

I don't mind it personally as long as it's not integral to your characters' development and is just a laid-back activity you do at your casual leisure, it doesn't really bother me. As for why, I'd say that's because fishing is a very relaxing and mundane activity by nature. Some people like tranquil activities in the middle of all the chaos.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I don't mind it personally as long as it's not integral to your characters' development and is just a laid-back activity you do at your casual leisure, it doesn't really bother me. As for why, I'd say that's because fishing is a very relaxing and mundane activity by nature. Some people like tranquil activities in the middle of all the chaos.

Yeah as long as it's not some requirement to get further in the game, or a requirement in order to open other things. If it's just an option in game, like RDR2, than I'm all for it. It's always nice to have extra activities in open world games. Much like how they had Golf and Tennis in GTA V. It adds more options for gamers to do things that aren't just the base game. I wish more games featured side stuff like this, because it would add a lot to some games. 

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Yeah and for the fact that you can decide to skip doing them without facing any harm or consequences for them makes it a lot better.. You just know it's only the benefits you might get from doing them that you're going to miss out on.