Register Now
Kane99

Netflix should really start to release bigger/triple A games

As you all know, Netflix has their own gaming line, though from what I see they're all mobile games on the app marketplace. Do you think we'll ever see a big, triple A title from them? Maybe one that comes out on PC and consoles? Mobile games are all well and fine, but I think Netflix could strike it big if they actually released a big game, like on the levels of GTA, COD, etc. 

On the other side though, Netflix is losing money like crazy these days, so I don't know if they could start on a big game. What do you think? Can Netflix get more involved in the gaming industry? Or will their focus stick to just mobile games? 

I think they want to play it safe especially after Amazon's series of hits and misses, not to mention the pessimistic attitude that appears to prevail with their unreleased titles. They seem to have curried favour with a particular developer: BonusXP, whose biggest project was Netflix's own The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - Tactics... my least-favourite video game that I've ever played, and that's saying something. But that's as big-budget they've gone, and if that's the best dev they can find for a Jim Henson licensed film and Stranger Things video games - their flagship show - then I don't want to imagine who they'll want to contract for a so-called AAA game.

I think the best we can expect until Netflix gets its backside in gear is an asymetric PvP game set in the Stranger Things universe akin to Dead by Daylight. I haven't seen enough of it to say if that's an appropriate example, so my next bet is a Telltale-style game, perhaps with a different cast and monster of the week.

I feel like they need something like this to happen though, because they need a big hit to compete. Plus with the amount of people dropping their Netflix services as of late, I figure a big game could bring in many new subscribers. Especially if they start to release multiple hit games. Mobile games will be nice for a while, but I feel they need to advance to making big games. It may cost them a ton, but I can see it bringing in subs. Make it the competitor to Game pass and I could see them doing good. 

Withywarlock have some really good points, and I am of the opinion that Netflix shouldn't rush into the game industry fully.

Taking it slow with the mobile phone games and see the level of acceptance it gets in the game industry, then take a a few more years before proceeding to release a triple A game as you said.

The company is made for profit and any wrong move could jeopardize years of hard work.

I think game streaming is going to take off hugely at some point, but I don’t think it’s ever going to become the only option. The inherent problem of a lot of people not having fast enough internet or low data caps, especially in the UK and US, is a huge hurdle. Maybe in some hypothetical future where everyone has ultra-fast fibre broadband with unlimited data, but we’re a very very long way from that point, and in some places arguably moving in the opposite direction.

What is happening here is Netflix are no seeing less growth because well, they have reached saturation and are seeing more competitors in their market. To keep the machine going they need the next big thing.

Problem they will find is it can take literally years to produce games - they have zero chance of competing with the likes of Microsoft.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:44 PM, Kane99 said:

It may cost them a ton, but I can see it bringing in subs. Make it the competitor to Game pass and I could see them doing good. 

As @Empire rightly points out though, there's a lot of time between now and when Netflix Pass is filled with enough games to be competitive and plug the subscription haemorrage.

We saw this with Google Stadia, which - memes aside - had enough users and was still killed off despite having all the time and money in the world to see development. Netflix is just as bad for killing off their projects by failing to renew seasons or commission pitches. They lack the patience and commitment to see through an idea on this scale. Mobile gaming works for them because it acts as a guaranteed revenue stream, the money they put in being miniscule compared to the money they put out (unlike their shows and definitely big budget games).

The "next big thing" might well be Netflix's answer to The Last of Us but video game development isn't like baking a cake, and BonusXP are hardly Fanny Craddock. Currently neither myself nor Netflix can justify the cost and time to try something different, especially when competition is so fierce.

39 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

As @Empire rightly points out though, there's a lot of time between now and when Netflix Pass is filled with enough games to be competitive and plug the subscription haemorrage.

We saw this with Google Stadia, which - memes aside - had enough users and was still killed off despite having all the time and money in the world to see development. Netflix is just as bad for killing off their projects by failing to renew seasons or commission pitches. They lack the patience and commitment to see through an idea on this scale. Mobile gaming works for them because it acts as a guaranteed revenue stream, the money they put in being miniscule compared to the money they put out (unlike their shows and definitely big budget games).

The "next big thing" might well be Netflix's answer to The Last of Us but video game development isn't like baking a cake, and BonusXP are hardly Fanny Craddock. Currently neither myself nor Netflix can justify the cost and time to try something different, especially when competition is so fierce.

True, but with Stadia Google just didn't care. It was also the like new prices they charged for their titles. We were expecting these older games to be lowered down in price, but they were full price. 

But I agree Netflix doesn't have a catalog that they can bank on. They'd need to invest in studios, and I don't think they have the money to do that at the moment. But we can hope.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:01 PM, Empire said:

What is happening here is Netflix are no seeing less growth because well, they have reached saturation and are seeing more competitors in their market. To keep the machine going they need the next big thing.

Problem they will find is it can take literally years to produce games - they have zero chance of competing with the likes of Microsoft.

This is not even the only problem I forsee with them joining into the gaming project. At the moment they are still battling with a hack and bridges in their server.

Millions of people have access to their contents without paying for their subscription. The same problem would still be faced with their games as well. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

This is not even the only problem I forsee with them joining into the gaming project. At the moment they are still battling with a hack and bridges in their server.

Millions of people have access to their contents without paying for their subscription. The same problem would still be faced with their games as well. 

On top of all that, they're losing money like crazy producing content. They just don't have the money to support it. Though I wish it was a possibility, because I think with Netflix in the gaming world, it could be interesting to see what they produce. But, maybe that will happen in the future when Netflix gets their shit together. 

If they can invest in studios to come on board and produce exclusive games, that could work. 

On 7/27/2022 at 5:45 PM, Heatman said:

Did now know that, then again I do not have Netflix and I wsih I was getting it for free 😛 End of the day I say that they should stick with what they do best and not get into the gaming makert you know. 

On 7/27/2022 at 8:48 PM, Kane99 said:

On top of all that, they're losing money like crazy producing content. They just don't have the money to support it. Though I wish it was a possibility, because I think with Netflix in the gaming world, it could be interesting to see what they produce. But, maybe that will happen in the future when Netflix gets their shit together. 

If they can invest in studios to come on board and produce exclusive games, that could work. 

With what have been able to do in the movies industry, do they have the power to make something decent in the video games industry? Yes, I believe that there's a possibility to that but is not the right time for them to do that? I don't think so!! They still have a lot of loose ends to tie up in their movies project and maybe when they are done with it, then it might be time to jump into video games. 

56 minutes ago, Empire said:

Did now know that, then again I do not have Netflix and I wsih I was getting it for free 😛 End of the day I say that they should stick with what they do best and not get into the gaming makert you know. 

Haha 😂, almost everyone love free stuff without minding the owner is losing so much but anyways, they are still making millions of dollars. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

With what have been able to do in the movies industry, do they have the power to make something decent in the video games industry? Yes, I believe that there's a possibility to that but is not the right time for them to do that? I don't think so!! They still have a lot of loose ends to tie up in their movies project and maybe when they are done with it, then it might be time to jump into video games. 

Haha 😂, almost everyone love free stuff without minding the owner is losing so much but anyways, they are still making millions of dollars. 

I agree, they don't have the money to invest into a game, but there is always a possibility they will just go for it. Netflix has produced content when they were in the red, and they seemed to always get things figured out, or they're still in debt, idk. 

I think the only way they can get to a point where they can actually make games, is if they bought a studio and just made it happen. But I don't know if they could afford to give it to subscribers for free or with just their Netflix subscription. I have a feeling they'll try to sell it digitally on a marketplace. Not like with the mobile games though. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

I agree, they don't have the money to invest into a game, but there is always a possibility they will just go for it. Netflix has produced content when they were in the red, and they seemed to always get things figured out, or they're still in debt, idk. 

I think the only way they can get to a point where they can actually make games, is if they bought a studio and just made it happen. But I don't know if they could afford to give it to subscribers for free or with just their Netflix subscription. I have a feeling they'll try to sell it digitally on a marketplace. Not like with the mobile games though. 

The company suffered a lot when they pulled their services out of Russia when they invaded Ukraine. They lost over 700,000 subscribers and their stock lost more than third of its value.

This really affected them a lot which is why they are exploring the possibility of jumping into video games because it's a booming sector.

They have already acquired three gaming studios which are Boss Fight Entertainment, Next Games and Night School Studio. 

Everything takes time mate - I'm sure that's what Netflix plans to do in the long term and they're working towards it. What you want them to do? pull a Google Stadia and flop? or an Amazon Luna and also flop? Remember that they're going head to head against Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo who've established themselves in the gaming industry for over 2+ decades. It's an uphill battle for them and they're not naive like Google and Amazon so Netflix will approach the whole situation more logically.