Register Now
Kane99

Netflix should really start to release bigger/triple A games

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Everything takes time mate - I'm sure that's what Netflix plans to do in the long term and they're working towards it. What you want them to do? pull a Google Stadia and flop? or an Amazon Luna and also flop? Remember that they're going head to head against Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo who've established themselves in the gaming industry for over 2+ decades. It's an uphill battle for them and they're not naive like Google and Amazon so Netflix will approach the whole situation more logically.

I agree with you on this one and with how they have started focusing on the mobile game's platform, it's a good place to start in my opinion. It's going to give them more room for development, trails and experimentations.

As long as they are not being too rushy and greedy like more game companies behave, I'm sure they will come out just fine. 

On 7/25/2022 at 2:41 PM, Clasher said:

Withywarlock have some really good points, and I am of the opinion that Netflix shouldn't rush into the game industry fully.

Taking it slow with the mobile phone games and see the level of acceptance it gets in the game industry, then take a a few more years before proceeding to release a triple A game as you said.

The company is made for profit and any wrong move could jeopardize years of hard work.

I have the same opinion, because as a company that says they are losing subscriber count, therefore losing profits also, any bad moves will cost them for sure.

so maybe their best bet is slowly but surely, or buy a decent gamedev studio, but ffs don't scrap their projects. 😅

23 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Everything takes time mate - I'm sure that's what Netflix plans to do in the long term and they're working towards it. What you want them to do? pull a Google Stadia and flop? or an Amazon Luna and also flop? Remember that they're going head to head against Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo who've established themselves in the gaming industry for over 2+ decades. It's an uphill battle for them and they're not naive like Google and Amazon so Netflix will approach the whole situation more logically.

True, they could just be waiting until they could afford to produce a bigger game. Especially now, they are losing subscribers because people got their fill of stranger things, so they peaced out until the next season and then they'll resubscribe for another month or two and cancel again. 

16 hours ago, Gonassis said:

I have the same opinion, because as a company that says they are losing subscriber count, therefore losing profits also, any bad moves will cost them for sure.

so maybe their best bet is slowly but surely, or buy a decent gamedev studio, but ffs don't scrap their projects. 😅

They are definitely losing subscribers and at the moment, they should have lost over 800,000 and counting. It's definitely not good for business. Any slight big mistake from them would put the company in a big jeopardy. I think that Amazon Prime and even Hulu are taking advantage of what's happening with them now. I might be wrong though!! 

This is starting to go around in circles now. Let's assume for the moment that Netflix starts making bigger budget titles: what would we want to see them make?

I for one don't know much about the world of Stranger Things, but I'd like to play in that setting's open world a la Deadly Premonition. It may require some creative liberties for the action-oriented audiences who want to fight things every now and again, but otherwise a kids-on-bikes detective style game might well work.

I'd also like a Lucifer game in the Telltale style: compelling people to tell the truth for better or worse, managing work-life balance, solving crimes and guyliner galore. The Wolf Among Us has shown it can be done well enough, and I don't think it would break the bank (which sort of goes against the original question, my apologies).

On 7/30/2022 at 5:14 PM, Gonassis said:

Losing subscribers isn't a good thing for a company like Netflix that relies mainly on it for profit and that's why they were talking about bringing back ads to Netflix.

Let's Just wait and see what their next move would be.

They could also start doing smaller scale games to release on consoles and PC. It's not like their focus needs to be on just mobile games. They could support indie studios and release their games even. It doesn't have to be some triple a title that is expected to sell like GTA or COD. It could be a small indie title that is easy to make, sell etc. 

On 7/30/2022 at 8:54 AM, Heatman said:

I agree with you on this one and with how they have started focusing on the mobile game's platform, it's a good place to start in my opinion. It's going to give them more room for development, trails and experimentations.

As long as they are not being too rushy and greedy like more game companies behave, I'm sure they will come out just fine. 

It only makes sense - they can't hope to dominate the gaming industry overnight with Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo around.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:21 PM, Kane99 said:

True, they could just be waiting until they could afford to produce a bigger game. Especially now, they are losing subscribers because people got their fill of stranger things, so they peaced out until the next season and then they'll resubscribe for another month or two and cancel again. 

Netflix will be fine because they have a lot of unique and interesting series to keep us the users hooked.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:13 PM, killamch89 said:

Netflix will be fine because they have a lot of unique and interesting series to keep us the users hooked.

Sure, but a they like to cancel a lot of those series, at least lately they have. It seems like every day I hear about a new show from Netflix getting cancelled after a season or two. They've been losing a lot of money, and that's why they cancel so many shows. As well, I noticed they've been slacking on the quality of programming. Some of the movies and shows they release aren't that good. But then again, there are other services out there that have poor catalogs of movies and tv shows and do just fine. Like Amazon Prime for example. 

But idk with Netflix, they seem to be losing a lot more money these days. 

I think Netflix just started showcasing video games recently on their streaming platform. It wouldn't hit boom or rocket to the sky within short duration of time. I believe with time they'll settle fine, and start bringing those triple A games for their core gamers. 

One other thing with Netflix, is that there are many other streaming platforms now that are doing just as good, or even better than Netflix. So who knows, maybe Hulu or HBO/Discovery (they're going through some changes), etc could implement their own gaming catalogs as well. If these streaming giants get into gaming, they could be huge. If Netflix can't do it, maybe Amazon or even Hulu could make it happen. 

On 8/3/2022 at 12:13 AM, killamch89 said:

It only makes sense - they can't hope to dominate the gaming industry overnight with Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo around.

Yes, it's something that's going to take them a while before they can be able to break into the gaming industry as a big fish in competition with the sharks in the waters already. If they follow their plans well just like they are already building something from the mobile game's sector, they will get to that stage they are aspiring for. 

On 8/2/2022 at 7:13 PM, killamch89 said:

I didn't respond to this part of your post yet. Not sure how that matters. It's not like Netflix is going to make their own console. Netflix would probably end up making games for those consoles and not against them. They would never be able to compete with those companies. But they could make games for said consoles. 

On 8/5/2022 at 7:26 PM, Kane99 said:

One other thing with Netflix, is that there are many other streaming platforms now that are doing just as good, or even better than Netflix. So who knows, maybe Hulu or HBO/Discovery (they're going through some changes), etc could implement their own gaming catalogs as well. If these streaming giants get into gaming, they could be huge. If Netflix can't do it, maybe Amazon or even Hulu could make it happen. 

If Netflix successfully get into gaming, there's a very big chance that other streaming companies would follow up immediately without allowing them to take full advantage of the market. HULU will definitely join the cue. 

On 8/1/2022 at 3:59 PM, Clasher said:

Losing subscribers isn't a good thing for a company like Netflix that relies mainly on it for profit and that's why they were talking about bringing back ads to Netflix.

Let's Just wait and see what their next move would be.

I'm also waiting to see what their next move will be, as I'm interested in how these big companies move their chess pieces.

also adding ads doesn't sound that bad to me as I'm used to that on YouTube. (I turned my adblocker off, so my favorite creators can get revenue lol) 😂