Register Now
Kane99

13 Best FMV Games of All Time

Cultured vultures put together a list of the best FMV games, the 13 best to be exact. I don't know if we have many FMV game fans here, but I figured I'd share. You can read about it here: https://culturedvultures.com/best-fmv-games/

Of course Night Trap is on the list, it's dead last at 13, while the #1 spot goes to Not For Broadcast, which I've heard a lot of good things about. I've been meaning to check it out, but have been preoccupied with other things and RDR2 of course. 😄 Also, Her Story was a big hit that came out a few years ago I think. I have it downloaded on my Xbox, but haven't played it yet. 😄

I don't know most of the other games on the list though. Does any of them ring a bell? 

The line "we couldn’t make an FMV article without talking about Night Trap" told me a worrying amount about this article, but at least they disclosed that so soon. There's some decent choices on there, the newer ones especially, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't played any of these for the sake of a quick article given their surface-level takes.

I'll admit I'm mostly just bitter about the lack of Final Liberation: Epic 40,000, which is the gold standard for Warhammer, FMV games and surprisingly 40K cosplay. Take your disagreements up with Commissar Holt.

Thanks for sharing the article all the same. It's nice for FMV games to get some more attention even with that site's tepid takes.

7 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

The line "we couldn’t make an FMV article without talking about Night Trap" told me a worrying amount about this article, but at least they disclosed that so soon. There's some decent choices on there, the newer ones especially, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't played any of these for the sake of a quick article given their surface-level takes.

I'll admit I'm mostly just bitter about the lack of Final Liberation: Epic 40,000, which is the gold standard for Warhammer, FMV games and surprisingly 40K cosplay. Take your disagreements up with Commissar Holt.

Thanks for sharing the article all the same. It's nice for FMV games to get some more attention even with that site's tepid takes.

Sadly I haven't played most of these games myself. I have a couple of them downloaded on Xbox, but have yet to play it. I kinda want to stream it to friends so we can play together and can vote on the choices. But yeah, there's a lot of games on this list I will probably never play. I wanted to play night trap before, but I don't know if I can handle playing it. Just seems like you need to be fast and know every step the game takes in order to do good. 

Do we class an FMV video game as one played only on FMV like Night Trap of Zombie Killer, or do games with FMV cut scenes make the cut? If they do, the Wing Commander Series and C&C absolutely NEED to be mentioned here. Wing commander especially is an important one because those games had huge stars like Mark Hamill involved long before famous actors in video games were common. In fact, they still might not be common, but the point is that Wing Commander games may be the first attempt to have performances and acting in video games to be taken seriously, 20 years before The Last of Us. Think about that.

For what it's worth the list have some really good fmv games but the one I deem worthy of consideration is 

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker the questioning of the deceased doctor patients and the fact that you could type out your own questions on the key board and the patient answers the question (though not always accurate but good).

Edited by Clasher

I still play Wing Commander 3 every once in a while, it had actual actors and the game play was decent. That being said, the whole FMV thing has not aged well at all...even with the nostalgia factor it's hard to play through a lot of my old favorites.

Who else still does Wing Commande? 

On 7/22/2022 at 6:56 PM, Shagger said:

Do we class an FMV video game as one played only on FMV like Night Trap of Zombie Killer, or do games with FMV cut scenes make the cut? If they do, the Wing Commander Series and C&C absolutely NEED to be mentioned here. Wing commander especially is an important one because those games had huge stars like Mark Hamill involved long before famous actors in video games were common. In fact, they still might not be common, but the point is that Wing Commander games may be the first attempt to have performances and acting in video games to be taken seriously, 20 years before The Last of Us. Think about that.

That's a good question. I'm going to guess that it needs to be mostly fmv, even during gameplay segments. But I'd count those games just because of how they delivered the story through actual scenes and with pro actors. 

And like you said, these were some of the best games in terms of actor performance until we got 3d games and the inclusion of pro voice actors. 

On 7/26/2022 at 11:57 AM, Empire said:

I still play Wing Commander 3 every once in a while, it had actual actors and the game play was decent. That being said, the whole FMV thing has not aged well at all...even with the nostalgia factor it's hard to play through a lot of my old favorites.

Who else still does Wing Commande? 

Yeah of course, I remember playing Wing Commander series and if I remembered correctly, it should be Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom that I played last on my PC around 1998-1999.

I was tempted to have it played on my PS3 back then but I wasn't convinced it would be any better on consoles. 

On 7/26/2022 at 11:44 AM, Heatman said:

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker

I played this one and it was really interesting though and I even mentioned it on this thread.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:44 AM, Heatman said:

Erica

I have heard about Erica, I haven't considered playing but I would give it a go since it was mentioned here.

3 hours ago, Clasher said:

I played this one and it was really interesting though and I even mentioned it on this thread.

I have heard about Erica, I haven't considered playing but I would give it a go since it was mentioned here.

Yeah, the two of them are something that's worth every time that I invested in playing them. Some games never leave you no matter how long ago you played them. It's exactly the same thing feeling that I had with playing The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker and Erica. 

13 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, the two of them are something that's worth every time that I invested in playing them. Some games never leave you no matter how long ago you played them. It's exactly the same thing feeling that I had with playing The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker and Erica. 

That's true.

What is the game Erica like, the name inspires some mystery and it quickly caught my Interest in the list of FMV games you made.

16 hours ago, Clasher said:

That's true.

What is the game Erica like, the name inspires some mystery and it quickly caught my Interest in the list of FMV games you made.

It's a game that centres on the life of the character of Erica who's haunted by the memories of the day her father was murdered. Her nightmares serves as a key to finding her father's killer. 

It's a very interesting game to the best of my knowledge. I haven't seen who played it that never liked it. 

On 8/18/2022 at 1:46 AM, Heatman said:

It's a game that centres on the life of the character of Erica who's haunted by the memories of the day her father was murdered. Her nightmares serves as a key to finding her father's killer. 

It's a very interesting game to the best of my knowledge. I haven't seen who played it that never liked it. 

It sounds really interesting,I Like mystery and crime solving and I feel this is a game I would enjoy playing.

I would check out for more info about it and watch a few game play videos as well.

On 8/19/2022 at 6:44 AM, Clasher said:

It sounds really interesting,I Like mystery and crime solving and I feel this is a game I would enjoy playing.

I would check out for more info about it and watch a few game play videos as well.

I really enjoyed how interactive the game is because it gives room for you to explore very well when playing the in trying to solve the death case in it. Do take your time and even read more reviews about the game before you can make up your mind on purchasing it.