Register Now
Kane99

5,000 Copies Of Autonauts Vs Piratebots Being Shipped To Schools To Help Kids Learn To Code

This is really cool, the team behind Autonauts vs Piratebots are giving teachers, lecturers and other people in the education sector free copies of the game. Supposedly it'll only be 5000 copies, but if you're a teacher and want to get this for your students, I believe you have to reach out to them. 

The cool thing about this game, is that it uses basic coding to fight off pirates. Think of it like you're the antivirus and you're trying to protect against the viruses. It's a pretty cool concept and if it helps teach people to code, than that's pretty cool too. 

Read more on this here - https://www.thegamer.com/autonauts-vs-piratebots-help-kids-learn-to-code/

The game is also dropping on steam soon for $19.99

3 hours ago, Empire said:

There are more important things then coding and looking at screens unless you are in collage and you are in a computer class then yes that's cool. MAths and English comes first. Yet I wish it was there around my school years LOL 

I don't know, I feel like coding is going to be a popular thing to get in for the new generation of kids and teens. I mean, I wish I took up coding, and if they make it fun and easy like this, I probably would have done it in school as well. Sadly we didn't have stuff like this when I was in school. 

Coding is the start to many things, and arguably is an important job these days. Pretty much everyone uses the internet, computers, phones, and other tech items. As well, new tech causes so much to change, that coding has to change with it. Code one day, won't be the same the next.

huh, this is actually cool. nice marketing move too.

and I agree that coding will become even more important in the future with AI stuff like GPT-3 and DallE2 becoming more prominent, many software/hardware jobs will become the norm in the future I think.

also, here's an interesting AI that's available to the public if you haven't heard of it yet... https://craiyon.com

It's a blast to generate all sorts of fun word prompts from it. since DallE2 has a looooong wait list too. 😁

8 hours ago, Empire said:

There are more important things then coding and looking at screens unless you are in collage and you are in a computer class then yes that's cool. MAths and English comes first. Yet I wish it was there around my school years LOL 

They can learn this in addition to Maths & English, much like any other subject being taught besides those two. When I was in primary school we had computers installed toward the end of my time there, which helped me decide that I wanted to get into IT and games design for middle school. I still want to know what that Noddy game was all about though...

4 hours ago, Gonassis said:

huh, this is actually cool. nice marketing move too.

Not gonna lie, the marketing worked on me too. It's made me genuinely curious about this, to say I'm not that big on these sorts of coding game. Gonna have to wait a few days for the price.

~

I'm pleased to know that more children will be introduced to S.T.E.M fields through this. I hope it proves an educational experience that will boost the argument that video games can be good for people, rather than just a PR stunt.

2 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

They can learn this in addition to Maths & English, much like any other subject being taught besides those two. When I was in primary school we had computers installed toward the end of my time there, which helped me decide that I wanted to get into IT and games design for middle school. I still want to know what that Noddy game was all about though...

For sure. It's not like we expect people to learn just coding. It'll just be an additional option for these kids on top of the work they already have to do. I look at coding as an extra bonus. If anything, with coding, it'll help teach other things as well. I know math is used a lot in coding and programming, so there's a chance that you can learn more about that in the process. 

I ended up taking a computer repair class in high school. We probably had some coding classes, but it was minimal. Would like to see more school teaching this stuff.